New camera advice

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
hootowls

Re: New camera advice

Postby hootowls » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:57 pm

Go hold the cameras. Pretend you are using them in the camera store. Put different lens on them. Have the sales person show you where the common controls are located and put your fingers on them. Change the settings. Take some pictures.

My daughter has a D40 she dearly loves. She shoots it in manual mode most of the time. I almost cannot use it because my hands are too large and the control placement does not work. For her, it is small and light weight and perfect for her hands and needs.

She has had it almost 3 years now. The camera and image quality are both amazing. Good luck on your decision. Let us know!

hootowls

Postby FL Views » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:53 pm

I have two primary cameras, Nikon D-40 and Nikon D-90. As a large person (6'4", 265 on a good day....) I also had problems with the size of the newer cameras. However, I found a solution.... for the D-90 I purchased the double battery pack which fits on the bottom of the camera body. Gives me more room to hold the camera comfortably plus I can shoot all day without worrying about running out of power. They make the same thing for the D-40, Canons, and I am sure other models....

Michael

Postby Barkingmad » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:24 pm

Northernrob wrote:Hello all,

I'm considering purchasing a new DSLR camera. My point & shoot just doesn't have the detail, clarity, or color that I'd like. My budget will be under $1000.00 so I will have to stay away from professional gear and stick to the "prosumer" category. I see so many beautiful shots in the shared shows and I'm wondering what people are using, and the kinds of experiences they've had. I'm leaning toward the Canon EOS Rebel XSi, but I'm not sold on any particular brand. I like gadgets, and features, but my focus here is image quality. Does anyone use an XSi, or do you have any recommendations? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Rob

Hi Rob,
I see you have already received plenty of great advice,but in answer to "Does anyone use an XSi" - yes, I do and am very happy with it. I have also recently purchased a Canon 1000D, which is very similar and slightly cheaper .... for my daughter, and she is very happy with it. If you have any questions about the xsi specifically, feel free to PM me for my email adress. Best of luck with choosing a camera that is right for you and welcome to the group!
Shaz BMad
"Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not yet understood." Henry Mille

Previous

Return to Photography