Switch to full style
Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Post a reply

Property release required?

Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:33 pm

If I take a picture of a gorgeous sunset over a bay and in the photo is also a sailboat and the name of the sailboat is easily readable in the photo, do I need a release from the sailboat owner to sell the photo to an individual for private use or to include it in a slideshow that I sell for private use?

Any thoughts about this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Take Care
Dan

Re: Property release required?

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:11 pm

If I take a picture of a gorgeous sunset over a bay and in the photo is also a sailboat and the name of the sailboat is easily readable in the photo, do I need a release from the sailboat owner to sell the photo to an individual for private use or to include it in a slideshow that I sell for private use?

Any thoughts about this would be helpful.

Can you photoshop the boat name out of the picture?

That might do the trick.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:45 am

Interesting
In the UK, if you are on public ground (Shopping malls etc will belong to someone) you can take a picture of anything, except customs and excise officers.
Glyn
Adding the caveat or so I believe lol

Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:51 pm

As I understand things, the situation you describe should not require that. However, whatever site you pulled that from has decided otherwise which they can do and obviously have done. I don't know what legal basis they might (or might not have for such language.) I have experience with images taken of my property and used in a public forum (newspaper) and no one asked my permission. I didn't look that hard but a casual question to a lawyer got the response that there was no objection possible provided the photo was taken from public property and the photo represented nothing but a public view. But if you want a real answer you would need to consult an attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction.

Dick
Post a reply