Big Big Photography Idea to bounce off you guys

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Valued Member

Re: Big Big Photography Idea to bounce off you guys

Postby gus607 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:29 pm

This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago at my daughter's wedding.

What I would like opinions of is, should the priest be cropped off the photo or left on ? Personally I like the photo as it is but some have said crop him off.

So your comments please.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c134/ ... C_2598.jpg

D90, 18-200VR. Focal length 38mm, 1/100sec, ISO 2800, Matrix metering.

Thank you.

Postby Rizze » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:53 pm

Crop him off, then the subject is not centered, and benefits the composition.

Rizze

Postby KarenLynn58 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:20 pm

I think this link will take you to a few of my most recent pictures.

http://karenlynn58.jalbum.net/karens%20pics/

Thanks for looking!!
Karen

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Example Image from Al

Postby Tarafrost » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:53 am

alcain wrote:My main concern is that my wife cut off Stef's and my feet! Any other critiques?

Regarding the photo, Al, the biggest issue beyond the amputation, is a classic beginner thing.

They subject is centered in the frame. I would suggest that if the you and your daughter had been placed on the left side of the frame, with the log/fence line trailing off into the distance on the right, it would have made for a hugely better photo.

It's called the Rule of Thirds. For those not familiar with it, google is your friend.

Learning and using the Rule of Thirds is one of the best things that most beginners can do to improve the visual impact and appearance of their photos.

The 2nd thing, though this is way more subtle, would have been to use a spot of fill flash to brighten up the faces.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Postby Deb » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Al,

I think this is a great idea - I am not a professional photographer and although I love taking pics, I am not really THAT interested in all the details so a little bit of friendly, not too complicated advise would be great!! I would actually sit and browse through other peoples posts to get some basic ideas on how to take a better photograph if this got up and running!! Personally, I would be more inclined to browse if this had a category of it's own but not sure how Mike would feel about that!!!

Great idea - I hope it takes off!!

Deb

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:26 pm

This is a photograph that I made this afternoon and processed this evening.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28647782@N ... 6/sizes/l/

Your thoughts and critiques are welcome and appreciated.

Donald Miller

Postby KarenLynn58 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:23 am

Hi Donald!
Thanks so much for taking the time to look at my photos!
I am not a photographer, I just like to take pictures. So...I do not know anything
about shutter speeds and stuff...I am trying so hard to learn.....Al and Ab have tried to help me...
(Thanks guys) But I just don't get it....I am lost when it comes to shutter speeds....aperatures....etc....
I told Al, I have always been a point and shoot kinda girl and this SLR camera is about to whup me!!
I am just thrilled when they are in focus!! LOL!!!
Anyway, I appreciate your kind comments!! I will try some of the things you suggested!!
Thanks so much!
Karen

Postby bellzerr » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:35 am

Al, I like the idea too. Until I read your later post, I wasn't sure why you selected the photo you posted as a sample. But I see now that you didn't want a "pro" shot. So let me be the first to jump in.
- I love the composition and the soft tones and shapes created by the fog.
- I love the pose and your daughter's smile. Too bad I can hardly see it because the same fog washed out the detail and color of your faces which are very small with respect to the overall photo.
- So, lighten the midtones, sharpen the figures or at least the faces and perhaps crop it in some - but not too much. As mentioned, that soft country setting makes a great backdrop.
...to harsh?

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Deb wrote:Personally, I would be more inclined to browse if this had a category of it's own but not sure how Mike would feel about that!!!

I won't be adding such a category since it's kind of off topic in regards to the subject matter of the forum, but I do have a suggestion.

The current discussion is good, but it might be easier if each photo that is submitted for observation be in it's own thread in the Photography section. This way the discussion that follows can remain specific to that particular photo.

Mike

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Postby alcain » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:38 am

Thanks Mike for your support and advice.

~al

ps... Donald, you are doing such a fantastic job, I can only sit back and learn from you!
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:32 am

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this forum and just came across this discussion. Is this idea from Al in effect? Is there someplace we can post photos for friendly evaluation? This sounds like a great idea and would be helpful to so many.

Everything on this site is so helpful!

Marilyn

Previous

Return to Photography