Big Big Photography Idea to bounce off you guys

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Big Big Photography Idea to bounce off you guys

Postby alcain » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:29 pm

Big Big Photography Idea to bounce off you guys (and gals!)

There are a LOT of you who send me photographs for critique. And I am very happy to do it for you - anytime.
But I had this Idea that if we were to post a picture here in the photography area of the forum, then everyone could critique the photos.

Maybe there should be a few basic rules such as: Only two photographs per post. And you should include some info on the photo as well, such as: Camera used, settings used (if known), and any interesting info about the shooting conditions...

And just as important - how you intend on using the photo(s) - in Proshow.

I will post an example in another post to follow...

Blessings to all, al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Example Image from Al

Postby alcain » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Here is an example (just showing off my beautiful daughter who now attends Virginia Tech). My wife took the shot of Stef and I. It was really foggy outside and I thought it would make a good shot. I used my Nikon D40. My main concern is that my wife cut off Stef's and my feet! Any other critiques? I will include this in this years, "Thanksgiving Show".

Best to all, ~al

ps: I found out that this site will only an image 600 pixels wide or smaller.

Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Re: Big Big Photography Idea to bounce off you guys

Postby KarenLynn58 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:44 pm

I am all for it, Al!! I love the idea.
It is not very often that I have a slideshow to share,
but I always have pictures.
I just thing this is the greatest idea!!
Come'on guys!! What do ya'll think???

Karen

P.S.....Your daughter is beautiful!!!
Not sure about her feet though...LOL!

Postby debngar » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Short reply - Might be better to start a related group in flickr to save Mike the web space cost. He could post a sticky at the top of this section of the forum maybe that would direct people to that URL? :roll:
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Posting photos is okay since they aren't being hosted on the forum's server. All of the images would need to be hosted by the member that is wanting to share them, which has always been the case. This not only helps keep the storage space down, but the system resources aren't as taxed.

Mike

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:45 am

Al, what you and any like-minded people are looking for already exists over at Steve's Digicams. Here's the link to the specific set of forums: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/#post-your-photos

Steve's Digicam's has been around for a number of years, and it includes both professionals and amateurs. I created and then moderated one of the forums over there, and a wonderful time was had by all while also learning.

Check it out.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby trulytango » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:46 am

Hi Barbara

I have just checked it out - looks a great place. There are some brilliant photos posted there and the different forums seem to be hives of activity.

TTFN
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby debngar » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:25 am

IMO, for those open to real critique and have a thick skin, photosig is good but brutal from the comments I've read on the site. IMO the constructive comments are the ones which can help someone improve technique. Else what's the point?

http://www.photosig.com/go/main
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby alcain » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:26 am

I guess what I am trying to achieve is this...

As a group, we are kind of like a loose knit "family". We sort of know one another in a very informal way.
We tend to be supportive of one another instead of bashing one another.

If one of us needs help with a particular image, we should be able to feel secure in posting it for some helpful
critiques from fellow "show makers". Instead of direct linking the photos, as I did in my example above, where the image appears inside the post - some may choose to add a link to Flickr, Smugmug (the best) or another image hosting site. The viewer would be re-directed to that site to view the image.

This is just an idea I had due to the volume of requests I get from fellow members asking me to critique a photo or two. This is not meant to be a full blown photo review site, just friends among friends.

Just my three cents worth,

Respectfully, ~al

Postby Diane48 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi Al. I have been thinking about your suggestion and after reading your last post decided that yes I think it would be a good idea. Until I started looking at shows here I was not into photo editing. What I took was it. Now I'm starting out on the adventure of trying to make the photos look better...removing noise, enhancing colours,brightening, removing casts etc. As a beginner however I often wonder if I have done a good job...could I have done better. I would never think of putting my photos on some sites to get ripped to pieces but here in this friendly forum I think I would be game knowing there would be constructive helpful critisism. As you say it is like 'family' here and the support is fantastic. If there was somewhere to post some 'before' and 'afters' of some photos I'm sure the advice would be of benefit.

Cheers. Diane

Postby kabeeo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:27 am

I like it as a friendly opportunity to see others work and post your own. I play quite a bit with Elements 7 and do a fair amount of relatively simple editing. I would participate if others thought it was agood idea.
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Postby alcain » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:53 am

Donald. Nice image. But as respectfully as I can, I want to emphasize that my idea for this thread is to allow non-professionals to post images that they know are flawed, but need some advice on. You and I are the ones to offer that help. When we post professional quality images with notes on how we obtained the final product in terms that even seasoned pros have a difficult time following - the housewife's and rank amateurs will be afraid to post any images, fearing they are too poor in quality compared to the pro shots. Images like the one you posted should be displayed at a photography forum where pros can critique pros. Remember, you have a "doctorate" in photography and we want to attract the infants in photography to ask for advice and help. I even had a time following the details of all you did to that nice photograph.

Again, my goal is to have a non professional amateur snap shooter be able to post his work so that we can advise him or her on what to do to make the photograph superior.

OK you "infant" photographers - show us some images you wish you knew how to make better...

respectfully, ~al

Postby alcain » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Donald. Now THAT is what I am talking about! You viewed a flawed image and offered many insightful suggestions on how to make it better. I will forward these comments to my wife (the photographer) and explain them to her as if to an "infant" (which she is - she still prefers her Nikon point and shoot FILM camera!).

Thank you and best regards, ~al

Postby KarenLynn58 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:49 pm

:lol:

Postby lmgerrish » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi Al,

Great idea. I like seeing the image right here in the post, but when I tried to add mine I got an error message - so here's the links to a couple pictures I took of my grandson apple picking.

The first one I did a little post processing where Preston is looking for the perfect apple.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/l ... eston1.jpg

This second link will show a picture of him reaching for an apple - I played with the clarity and vibrance in my post processing for this image.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/l ... Higher.jpg

I've just started shooting in RAW so I have a long long way to go!

Lynn
Canon Rebel XTi, ProShow Gold and Producer,
Adobe Creative Suite 4 - Design Premium
Secondary Business/Technology Educator

Next

Return to Photography