Just bought a Nikon D200

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Just bought a Nikon D200

Postby iromero » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:26 pm

It's been a while since I last posted. I have been using a Nikno D60 I bought last year. Today I bought a used D200 with a Sigma 70-300 lens and a Sigma 18-70 2.8 lens for $750. I hope i got a good deal. This camera is a whole different animal. Look like i am going to have to read that manual cover to cover. Anybody have an tips I could use?

Thanks,
Ivan

Re: Just bought a Nikon D200

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:09 pm

Not familiar with the prices on used gear, but I have the Sigma 70-300 macro lens and it is pretty good (although it will not work with the D40 because it does not have an internal focus motor). If the sensor is dirty, you might want to check out the information at Copper Hill Images
( http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials ) on how to clean the sensor. You might also consider checking out the manual on steroids that Thom Hogan has --
http://www.bythom.com/d200guide.htm Have fun with the new toy !! ( I just got the new Nikon D300s - my wife said I could use my unused vacation money for a new camera when I retire ... I retire in 3 days :twisted: )
If you are interested in trying some other glass - consider
http://www.rentglass.com - they have lenses for Nikons and Canons at reasonable weekly rates.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby iromero » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks for the info Mikey. This camera is definitely way more complex than the D60. I'll be playing around with it for some time before i am comfortable with it.

Ivan

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:07 am

Happy retirement Mikey. It's a great life :D :D
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:54 am

Mikey,
What do you have planned after the six months or so of "honey dos?

Best wishes for your happy retirement. I agree with Brian it is a good time in life.

Donald Miller

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:03 am

Thanks Brian !!

Don - while there is the "honey do" list, my wife has assured me that as long as I keep myself busy and entertained, she will not overload the list ... I just ordered a bunch more photo gear last night (slide and film scanner etc). I plan to stay REAL BUSY with my projects - photo, sorting old stuff and organizing it (we have boxes of pictures I need to go through) and get more active outside with my bicycle riding etc. Definitely no lack of things to keep me busy !

Ivan - I know what you mean - I thought my D70s was complex, but the new D300s users manual is over 400 pages (I am still slowly reading my way through it (and as an engineer, I specialize in reading techno-babble :lol: )). Typically what you find though is that while you have all those configuration options, there is only a small subset of the options that you regularly fiddle with once you get it configured the way you like it. One of the choices you need to address is are you going to shoot raw (no, not IN the raw !! -- that's up to you ) or just shoot jpg. In most cases, I think I am just going to stay with the large/fine jpg mode - while raw does have a number of advantages, I'm not sure it buys me personally that much. Two gadgets you might consider buying if you don't have them -- one is a monopod (I just added a quick-release to mine and like the way that works out) and one of those silly "gorillapod DSLR-Zoom" tripod things - I have not got mine yet, but lots of people really like them and they allow you to perch the camera in all sorts of places for that great picture (besides, they are almost "pet like" :D )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Frankie » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi Ivan,
Nikonians has a D200 users group forum.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=149

Have fun!
Frankie

Terri French

Postby Terri French » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:07 pm

The Nikon Cafe is a really nice photography forum. There are experts there who can answer any question you might have. A lot of them have owned or currently own the D200. I had one but sold it a while ago. It is a great camera. You will love it.

Return to Photography