what monitor?

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Valued Member

what monitor?

Postby CA4joey » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:00 pm

It's time to upgrade. I am using an old Acer AL1916 monitor. I need to get a new one so that I can use it for working with Producer, video from our new Sony HDR-XR200V camcorder and my Canon xsi camera. I wish I thought of looking here before I bought my Sony HDR..then I would have realized how awful the software program -Motion Browser software- is and how difficult it is to find a software that will edit, add transitions, a menu etc and produce the great quality video that Sony produces. Anyway that's another story. I want a monitor in the 20-24 inch size that has an HDMI and DVI connections, sharp picture, 1920x1200, low refresh rate and would be great with use with photoshop and video. What would be a good choice? Thanks for any suggestions. (Hoping for something in the $400-500 rang or lower).
Thanks
Charlotte

Re: what monitor?

Postby Astra » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:46 pm

Charlotte,

if I could advice - very good start for your search / research - would be to look at NewEgg Website (link is at the end), we had very good experience with many items we have bought from them.

One GREAT thing on their Website is, you can read comments from other people, who actualy purchased things from them. Very educational !!! They usualy have very good prices, too.
(Prices are in US dollars (I think the rate between CAN & US $$ is ... $1 us = $1.153 CAN))

Then you will know, what to buy & what NOT to buy, and you could even find something similar in you local store.

(And my advice - go for 24" Monitor - bigger is better - and easier on the eyesight, too....)

Here is the link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rder=PRICE

Alexandra

Postby Astra » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:00 pm

Charlotte,
sorry to hear about you not happy with you Sony Handycam - I just looked it up on Web - it is a marvelous machine !!!

I have only BEST experience with Sony Digital Cameras (but NOT with Camcorders) - started on them about 12 years ago at work, then in 2000 got my own Mavica 1000 - never had single problem - very happy with it.

Maybe it is a program you are not happy with -( for $29 ) - it could be, it is not powerfull enough for what you had in mind.

Maybe this link will help you with a start - of your search for better Video Editor Programs:
http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Editor ... DQod4B4sJA

Alexandra

Postby silverfox » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:27 pm

Costco.com

I would go with either Samsung or Viewsonic

199.99 after $40 OFF
Samsung
24" Wide LCD Monitor
Brightness: 300cd/m2
HDMI

ViewSonic 24" W
2ms 1000:1 300 cd/m2
1920 x 1080 WUXGA
$229.99

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:55 am

Charlotte, there's one thing I imagine most here can agree upon, and it's that you get what you pay for. I strongly suggest you search out the reviews that are online. This is what I did, and I ended up paying a slightly fat price for a Viewsonic, but because it's mainly photography I was interested in, not video, I went for the standard ratio in a CRT, though it's certainly big enough to handle widescreen. It was either the Viewsonic or pay right on through the nose for a professional LCD such as a LaCie, but the bank account just couldn't handle it.

Definitely, do your research, and then opt for the best that you can afford.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:19 am

I just purchased a 23 inch wide screen LG and am very happy with it. I previously owned a 24 inch standard aspect ratio Gateway and it was good as well but I do enjoy the wide screen format since I do a lot of HD video and I think that the norm will be wide screen before much longer. A lot depends on the type of work you want to produce.

Valued Member

Postby CA4joey » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:28 am

I saw a Hp 2159 it looked good Anyone have any good or bad experiences/comments/knowledege with is model with this model?

MrRichRod

Postby MrRichRod » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:40 pm

I just bought a Dell 2409WFP (24" Widescreen Flat Panel) with native 1920 X 1080P. HDMI, DVI & VGA hookups.

Couldn't be happier, in fact so happy I called in sick so I could spend another 14 hours in front of it Monday!! [cough cough :lol: ]

Paid $219 from Best Buy store pickup... that was a $60 savings. Dell.com is also selling them for $219.

MrRichRod

Postby MrRichRod » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:41 pm

Here's a pic of the monitor in relation to a 17". Good luck in your decision making!

Postby PhilipWeir » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:19 pm

As others have suggested I would advise doing the research on the LCD monitor, preferably 24", but also include research on an appropriate graphics card. If you're planning on doing high quality video then a top end graphics card is a must. But it'll hit your wallet - sorry.

Philip

Return to Photography