New Topaz Labs "Detail" vs OnOne Photo Tools

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

New Topaz Labs "Detail" vs OnOne Photo Tools

Postby alcain » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:34 pm

Topaz labs has come out with yet another pricy Photoshop plugin. $39 of your hard earned money is supposed to get you the most revolutionary image sharpening tool in the universe. It is supposed to be the hottest thing on Broadway. Well, I am here to tell you that I am not overly impressed. I was able to obtain a beta testers license and copy of the program. I ran many images through it and yes, it did a nice job of sharpening and bringing out detail - but it was s l o w (they even admit it is a resource hog) and not only that... I was able to obtain the very same exact sharpness and detail using OnOne Phototools 2 - using the "Amazing Detail Finder" and the "Clarity" options together. Plus, it is much faster processing. And lastly, I don't have to shell out $39 for a one button wonder...

Just my observations...

~Al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Re: New Topaz Labs "Detail" vs OnOne Photo Tools

Postby Frankie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks for the review, Al. I like OnOne too.

Frankie

Re: New Topaz Labs "Detail" vs OnOne Photo Tools

Postby rkligman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:48 pm

I like a lot of Topaz but the Details product has me scratching my head wondering if they aren't just pulling the marketing wool over peoples eyes. After it came out I tried it on about a dozen images and I didn't find a single image that 1) it really did anything to, 2) that it did anything that was attractive and 3) didn't do anything that really wasn't in the Adjust product.

So major kudos for Topaz keeping Adjust for under $50 that can produce some amazing results but Details? Ya, not impressed here either. I haven't tried the Detail Finder. I'll have to give that a look and see if it's something that fits my style.
Rick Insane Diego...

Return to Photography