Changing Aspect Ratio for a Cannon SLR

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Honorary ProShow PHD

Changing Aspect Ratio for a Cannon SLR

Postby Rosemary » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:13 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the aspect ratio on a Canon EOS Digital Rebel Camera? We would like to change the aspect ratio to 16:9 but cannot find how to achieve this in the manual.

Thanks in advance,

Rosemary

Site Admin

Re: Changing Aspect Ratio for a Cannon SLR

Postby MG - Admin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:18 pm

There is no option for that. 3:2 is going to be your only output option. If you plan to make shows in the 16:9 ratio you will have to crop the photos. Keep this in mind when framing your images. Just add a little buffer at the top and/or bottom of the image and you should be fine.

Mike

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:34 pm

dnmilikan wrote:No, it is impossible to change the aspect ratio of any camera. The aspect ratio is determined by the sensor size and the number of pixels that the sensor incorporates.

Most pocket point and shoot cameras have an option to shoot in widescreen (16:9) mode. The images are cropped in-camera for the user rather than doing it later on in PhotoShop. SLR cameras traditionally have not added that option, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen eventually.

Mike

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:38 am

Hi Mike and Donald,

Thanks for your prompt replies. The Canon belongs to my husband and he loves it. He will have to learn to leave "cropping room" when taking photos and as suggested I shall have to be mindful when using his pictures Wide Screen. My new Nikon Coolpix P90 has this feature which triggered the discussion about the Canon.

Thanks again - Stay cool,

Rosemary

Return to Photography