Converting M2ts Files

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Converting M2ts Files

Postby PhotoMagicCreations » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:42 pm

I heard that you can change the extension on a .m2ts file to .mpg. If you do that, it should easily import into Producer 4.0 or other video editing programs. I was told that the video stays exactly the same clarity, however, you lose your audio 5.1 surround sound to stereo audio. Does anyone know if this is true, or if the file is downgraded from it's high definition clarity?

Kelly

dnmilikan

Re: Converting M2ts Files

Postby dnmilikan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi Kelly,

Here you go. They advertise CD quality on sound. I assume that this would be stereo.

http://www.convertm2ts.net/convert-m2ts ... -mpeg.html

Best regards,
Donald Miller

Re: Converting M2ts Files

Postby PhotoMagicCreations » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:29 pm

Thanks Donald. I checked out the website and it is nice to see that there are converters for m2ts files. However, what is the difference between using a converter to change the file from m2ts to mpg and manually changing the name of the file to mpg. Once I change the extension from m2ts to mpg, the file is recognized by Producer. I just can't tell if it loses quality or if the hd quality is still preserved. I did read somewhere that the sound changes from 5.1 surround sound to stereo. I don't have an hd tv to tell if changing the extension also changes the high definition quality to standard quality.

Kelly

Return to Photography