overexposed background

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

overexposed background

Postby Merlin_AZ » Sat May 16, 2009 10:36 pm

Hi.
I'm making a slideshow of some pix that my brother took for a friend's wedding.
Unfortunately, it was sunny, and there were plenty of shadows.
He used a fill-flash to help with shadows, but the backgrounds of many of the early shots were "overexposed" because of it.
It's difficult to see the the scenery since everything behind the people are "over whitened."
Is there a way to darken the background without making the people up front too dark?
I'd appreciate any help trying to get the pix looking better.
Thanks.

Site Admin

Re: overexposed background

Postby MG - Admin » Sat May 16, 2009 11:13 pm

If you have copies of the original RAW files you'd have more options, but I'm guessing you only have the JPG files. In that case it may be possible to mask the sky and do some adjustments with Levels or Curves in PhotoShop, or simply replace the sky with something better. It all depends on your skill level with the photo editing software and whether or not it's worth your time if there are a lot of photos.

Mike

Esteemed Member

Postby Merlin_AZ » Sun May 17, 2009 12:44 am

Thanks for the reply.
It's not sky--it's desert background (flowers, cactus, bushes, etc.).
If I weren't so bad with the lasso tool, I'd have him go back and reshoot the background shots and move the people into the new backgrounds.
Maybe I'll go the other route and use the eraser tool to get rid of the background, and move the people into a layer over the new background shots.
The pictures are mostly above the knee, so I won't have foot placement to deal with--those can look really artificial.
It's in a neighborhood park so there isn't an issue getting the background shots again.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sun May 17, 2009 1:46 am

If the photos are not too bad, and you have CS3 or 4, have you tried 'Image>Adjustments>shadows/highlights' as a quick adjustment. Take the shadows slider back to zero and increase the highlights slider.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby PhilipWeir » Sun May 17, 2009 2:31 am

If you do need to re-shoot the backgrounds then there is a piece of software called Fluid Mask http://www.vertustech.com/ that will help cutting out the people from the original pictures. I've not used it myself but a number of people on this forum have. They may well be able to provide some advice.

Philip

Esteemed Member

Postby Merlin_AZ » Sun May 17, 2009 7:39 am

Thanks for the responses.
That program looks great, but as I'm only a hobbyist, I can't put out that kind of cash.
I remember other posts mentioning other programs or plug-ins.
I'll start searching.

My brother sent one of the pix to a friend with a lot of PS experience.
Too much of the background is blown out, and we'll need to replace it.

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Postby alcain » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:15 am

Merlin, send me one of the very worst pics you have - actually, send me the worst one. I own fluid mask and swear by it. I use it almost on a daily basis.

Mail it to: Starlightimage@aol.com

No charge for a fellow Proshow user.

~Al, StarlightPPS.com
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Studio7Productions » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:19 pm

If you have access to CS3, you can convert your image to a smart object, then in layer adjustments, you can change the Shadows and Highlights without it being as destrucive as without the conversion to a smart object.....thats the way i do it, and you will be amazed at the results..

mel
PSP v 5: Adobe CS5 Extended:Sony Soundforge Pro 10: Canon 50D: Canon EOS 1000D: Nikon D40:

" Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. "
Sir Winston Churchill

Esteemed Member

Postby Merlin_AZ » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm overwhelmed by the response and offers of help!
What I eventually did was have my brother re-shoot background shots the next day, erased the original backgrounds, and pasted the subjects into the new backgrounds.
I needed to do it with 4 of his pix--bride/groom family shots.
There was no way to re-shoot them.
He told me he had no idea why the backgrounds were completely blown out, but he looked into it to avoid that in the future.
It's the first time I've ever done that at this level (wedding pix, no less) and since my brother was doing this as a favor for my neighbors, he really felt bad, since he's an enthusiast, and not a pro.
Even so, he takes really nice photos.
His pix and my slideshow, in addition to some photobooks we ordered were our wedding gifts to them.
All in all, I think everything came out great and they were very thankful for what we did for them, and how everything came out.
Again, thanks for everyone's responses!

Esteemed Member

Postby Alan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:54 pm

If you have CS3 you'll find this tutorial by Davro Digital of great use http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LZgway-Hus
In fact many of his tutorials are very helpful.

Cheers
Alan
Downunder
Alan

Sydney, Australia

Return to Photography