Interesting development: the "hybrid" camera

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
ProShow Hall of Fame

Interesting development: the "hybrid" camera

Postby DickK » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:48 am

From the interesting news department comes this:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/21638/samsung-nx/

Never mind the specific maker/model, if this type of camera performs as well as it sounds, this could be a "big deal". Especially since it describes the camera I want! ;)

I love my FujiS9100 for the feel of the DSLR and 90% of the functionality I want (100% of what I need) but with lower cost and convenience of the single, long-zoom lens. One of the downsides of this type of camera is the smaller sensor--and this seems to address that.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Re: Interesting development: the "hybrid" camera

Postby Diane48 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:56 pm

I am interested in this type of camera. At the moment I have a Kodak CX7530 point and shoot although it has lots of manual settings available. I have always been satisfied with the pictures taken but now would like to move up from 5 MP and 3x optical zoom to a bigger and better model.I don't want (nor can I afford) a DSLR and having had an SLR years ago am not keen on going back to the weight of a big camera. This "hybrid" type camera seems to fit the bill completely.
I have been looking into different brands and quite like the Kodak Z980 and the Pentax X70. I am wondering if anyone is using these cameras or if anyone can give me some much needed advice on things to consider or what to buy. I have read so many reviews that my head is spinning. If there is something else out there I should consider please let me know. :?

Cheers Diane

mlanders

Postby mlanders » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Hi Dick,

i peeked last view month onto the GH1 of Panasonic:

Here is a review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgh1/

It seems that this cam is real expensive in comparision to it's competitors, but if you see that it offers a bigger lens:
14-140mm and a swivel-lcd...
it is worth it...

Looking at the videos here at vimeo:
http://vimeo.com/groups/gh1/videos

You can see that it has a lot of features including the superbe video-quality.

But till now, i am only peeping - years ago i moved from my SLR including lenses to a superzoom...
and now in do want to go a step back, but this camera with its lens...

I just had to finish here, because the longer i think about it the more it keeps me saying:
Buy me, please! You need me, you know it...! :wink:

Michael

Postby Diane48 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:20 pm

Thank you Michael for responding to my post.
I had a good look at your suggestion and although it sounds like magic it is a little above my price limit. For the amount I use a camera I simply can't justify spending that amount on my new camera. I will keep looking for a while before making a decision.
If anyone else has any suggestions I would be thankful for them. :)

Cheers, Diane

Return to Photography