SD Cards

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

SD Cards

Postby DonnaV » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:23 am

To some people of knowledge, this could be the sillest of questions.

Going on my first trip to Florida.
The last trip I took back in '99 I lost 9 rolls of film, though protected, in the London airport xray machine. Not the small regular one, I got picked for the gigantic one...

Okay, question... How are SD cards in xray machines???
Are they effected the same way or are they safe???
Do I have to take extra precautions with them???
Does the xray machine effect the camera, should I protect that as well???

I really don't want to lose any more pictures... Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
ProShow 4
Adobe Master Collection CS3
Canon Rebel XSi, Canon S5, Canon G6

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: SD Cards

Postby Studio7Productions » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am

The reason they ruined your FILM is because its was FILM......thats what X-Ray machines do......

SD is digital and should be safe, i have had no problems

M
PSP v 5: Adobe CS5 Extended:Sony Soundforge Pro 10: Canon 50D: Canon EOS 1000D: Nikon D40:

" Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. "
Sir Winston Churchill

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: SD Cards

Postby DickK » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:10 pm

Okay, you can find exceptions, but most everyone believes that digital cameras and media are safe when it comes to airport xray machines. Example:
http://www.geeksugar.com/322103

In theory, you could damage the media and the camera with a high enough exposure to X-rays but the level would be way out of scale for an airport X-ray machine. The security folks will frown at you and maybe tell you its unnecessary but they are, by their rules, required to hand inspect a camera of any kind if you request it. Their rules, however, don't say they have to do it willingly or quickly or without a decision that you might need a closer inspection as well ;)

Personally, my gear has gone thru a fair number of airport machines and I don't worry about it now.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to Photography