Portrait Lens

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Portrait Lens

Postby Termiky » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:42 am

What is a good Nikon Lens for low light inside portraits?

Re: Portrait Lens

Postby texan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:18 pm

I use a Nikon 55-200 with a D90

Works great for me
Texan

Postby tomdavis » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:43 pm

I also use the Nikon 55mm to 200mm lens with my Nikon D70. Love it

Tom

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:57 am

Last edited by dnmilikan on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby VQI » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:06 pm

As was mentioned it is a cost thing. The 17-55 f2.8 is a great lower light lens but close to $1000 price tag. I have a 50mm 1.8 that is around $100 and is a great lens. Nikon has just released a new 35mm f1.8 that sounds like a great lens also. There are so many available. I am getting the 17-55 next month. Try looking at this Nikon lens forum http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1030 This is a great forum for anything photography related...

Scott
(Prowshow Gold, Photoshop CS4, Elements 7, Nikon D300)
http://vqimaging.blogspot.com/

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Postby alcain » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:20 pm

The Nikon 50mm 1.8 would work in a pinch. Remember, there is a 1.5 factor from film to digital on the D-series Nikons. Therefore, a 50mm lens is actually giving you 75mm in focal length - close to a portrait lens of about 85 to 100mm.
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby rkligman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:41 pm

I would echo Al if cost is a concern. The Nikon 50mm f1.8 is only $110 max, excellent in low light and tack sharp. At 50mm you won't notice faces distorted etc.

If cost is no concern then look at the Nikon 85mm f1.8 ($700?) or even better, the f1.4 ($1k+). I don't think you'll find anything with better sharpness or creamy bokeh.

If cost is somewhat a concern, then take a look at the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro lens ($350+). Again, tack sharp and great bokeh.

Your Low Light statement implies a f2.8 lens or lower, 1.8, 1.4 or even 1.2. The lower that number the higher the cost (except for the 50mm) and the more light it will let in.

I can post some low light pics from the 50mm and maybe the 90 (not sure I used that in low light portrait yet) if you want to see a couple.
Rick Insane Diego...

Postby Termiky » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:54 am

OK, made my choice 17-55 f/2.8. Haven't had alot of time to play with it. I am wondering, to let more light in, I have to lower the shutter speed. So what about taking pictures of kids moving around, the pictures will be blury. I'm trying to keep from using a flash. How can I get my pic clear inside with enough light. And if I use a low f # (2.8) wont that make some of the pic blury and some of it clear? I guess I'm just asking how do you use this lens?? I guess you can tell I'm a beginner. Ha Ha :lol:

Postby debngar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:31 am

I guess I'm just asking how do you use this lens??

It's not "how to use this lens" so much as it is learning general photography technique. There are a vast number of websites that offer free information on photography that would fit your need. Google "photography tips" and see what you find. Also look up "photography podcasts" if you like to listen to learn instead of reading.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Jerry Cole » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:07 am

Debbie is right on with the photo basics tips. Once you understand and practice the inter-relationship between shutter speed, aperture, and depth of field you will know how to use the lens. Don't overlook the importance of ISO speed and white balance, and often just getting the shot becomes the most important issue. It doesn't mean we get it right all the time, but the basics are the same regardless of film or digital, zoom lens or prime. Just remember you are in effect "painting with light".

But most of all, experiment and have fun!
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:12 am

Termiky wrote:OK, made my choice 17-55 f/2.8. Haven't had alot of time to play with it. I am wondering, to let more light in, I have to lower the shutter speed. So what about taking pictures of kids moving around, the pictures will be blury. I'm trying to keep from using a flash. How can I get my pic clear inside with enough light. And if I use a low f # (2.8) wont that make some of the pic blury and some of it clear?

Hmmm....you asked for recommendations for a portrait lens....but shooting moving kids is more akin to action photography....not "portrait" photography. Portraits are typically of still subjects that are posing for you. Beginners typically don't ask about "portrait lenses", so it sounds like you weren't specific enough about what you were trying to accomplish and your skill levels. 'nuff said.

OK...so let's talk about rug-rat action photography instead. The lens you got should work fine for that as well:

1) What is the problem with using flash? That is typically the best way to "stop the action" especially indoors. If you use a flash well, you can make the lighting look quite natural without the harsh shadows that are typically associated with beginner use of an on-camera flash. I would recommend the Strobist web site for info on how to use small flash units effectively (forget the popup flash...you won't get good results with that...go for an SB-600/800/900 or some such). There are some good books on the subject as well.

2) Failing that....it depends on which camera body you are using. If you have a newer Nikon body that has decent high-ISO noise characteristics, then just up your ISO level, and keep the aperture as wide as you can (but remember you will lose some depth of field if you open up the aperture all the way, which may or may not be a concern).

3) If you have to boost the ISO level too far, get a good noise reduction plugin for photoshop (Noise Ninja is the one I use).

4) And if you still need more, then practice your panning techniques, which can compensate for the movement. Practice, practice, practice. ;-)

5) Buy some good books or hang in some good photography web sites to learn how to use your camera/lens combos more effectively.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Return to Photography