Unbelievable wedding using D90 movie mode

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Unbelievable wedding using D90 movie mode

Postby alcain » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:46 pm

Linked on my Flikr site. Click on the link below the image that says "watch it in vimeo".

This is absolutely breathtaking, and shot with the D90 in movie mode.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/starlight_ ... 185045535/

Comments?? ~Al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Re: Unbelievable wedding using D90 movie mode

Postby bigsewed » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:31 pm

Al
I am a Nikon guy, but the Canon 5D MK11movie looks better to me...
Posted from Debbie...
This is all HD video, no stills. Shot on a monopod and with 35 mm lens.
http://vimeo.com/2704645
Are they comparably priced?
Wes

Postby ChrissyC » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:39 pm

sat here mesmorized, absolutley wonderful video...ohh I want to watch part 2! she sure is beautiful, so graceful. Al....thank you for posting this, will you post part 2?
huggs, Chrissy

Postby HunnyB » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:43 pm

FABULOUS!!!!
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby debngar » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:51 pm

I am a Nikon guy, but the Canon 5D MK11movie looks better to me...

It's not exactly fair to compare the two, since one is in 720 and the other 1080. Nevertheless, for the price the D90 is an attractive deal. All my lenses are Canon so I'm sticking with that family of equipment.

Are they comparably priced?

NO The Canon is $2799.

I just posted a short example of some shots with my new 5dM2 but once they are uploaded via Producer the quality is not as nice as it looks when viewed in preview mode because the resolution is limited in quality on the Photodex site.

I also uploaded it to YouTube and will edit my post to include that as soon as the HD version is available for viewing.

Al,

That wedding show was beautifully shot and put together - a nicely told story!

I think video will be time consuming to edit, not to mention I'll need another piece of software to do that. But oh, the potential!
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:32 pm

I liked both videos. I thought both were well done. The Canon movie seemed more color saturated while the nikon was less so. This could have been because of a camera setting. Debbie makes a good point about price and recorded resolution.

I am sure it is a little harder to do video with a still shot camera than we are led to believe. Might take some getting used to. You can't see what you are shooting using the lcd on the back. Not sure if during shooting you have to keep focus or if it is automatic like a regular camcorder.

Video Editing is actually fun to do if you have a good editor. I learned this before getting Proshow, but I got proshow because I didn't want to use my NLE video editor to do slide shows. I believe I used video with proshow a couple of times a good while back, when I posted my "the two stooges decorate a christmas tree. Couldn't get the audio to sync up exactly so I took it down.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Valued Member

Postby gus607 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:20 am

Fine show Al, Got my D90 just before Christmas & not had chance to use it in anger but seeing what it is capable of........WOW.

Thanks for posting.

Postby rkligman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:49 pm

@Ben - The D90 has Live Preview now so you do see the action on the 3" LCD. The way the D90 works is in manual focus mode. You get auto focus up to the point of starting to film, then it's all manual. Now I don't have one :cry: but I've been doing some reading/talking. What you'll notice on this video, and why it's so attractive, is the depth of field. Until you get into the Professional Video cameras, you can't have that kind of blur in the background. This guy takes full advantage of it and nicely so.
Rick Insane Diego...

Postby marmart » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:11 am

Does anyone know programs used to edit the D90 video?? Does the camera come with it's own?? I have and have used Pinnacle for years, but my thought is that it is less than desirable.

Any thoughts for programs out there that don't cost a fortune??

Mary

Postby rkligman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:30 am

I just went through and upgraded my video editing so I can answer that! Apparently I own and used to use Pinnacle 8. I made my Hoover Dam video/slide show on it in 2003ish. Point is, I qualified for upgrade pricing. Sony Vegas Pro 4 is what I've been using. Lots of editing power at a price of course.

What I was looking for was 1) It must run on Vista 2) is had to handle HD video 3) it needed to output H.264 4) wanted the ability to either HAVE or ADD specical effects 5) I had to be able to make Blu-Ray disks WITH menus.

In the end it came down to Cyberlink PowerDirector 7 Ultra, Pinnacle Studio 12 Deluxe/Ultra(?), Sony Vegas 9 or 8 Pro. For $99 each I can have the first two and the v9 of Sony was $85 or $234 to upgrade to 8 Pro.

PowerDirector was a must because it had some cool Video Efx that noone else had. Since I shoot in SD and I'm looking to be artistic rather than capture the kids baseball game, that was important. BUT after trying to do a few simple things, like Crop the image, I realized that I just didn't want to give up my Vegas! PD also had a decent menuing system.

Pinnacle was almost purchased multiple times. They include Quick Looks and that was EXACTLY what I was looking for. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rkligman/3189652239/. So now I had both products in my sights for $99 each. Still less than the $234 for Vegas Pro 8 upgrade. But Vegas still did some great adjustments and had so many output options and such.

Vegas 9 Platinum or 8 Pro? Awesome program. $85 gets you the 9 Platinum Pro Pack and with this, if all you want to do is edit video, done deal. Don't even look anywhere else. Slightly more complex to use but power galore. A few drawbacks though. No BR menus, only a BR disk. No Stabilization feature.

I ran across a FULL version, not upgrade, (that will be here Monday) of Vegas Pro 8, minus the DVD Architect, on B&H Photo for $130. Then I ran across a product that no one has heard of called Vegas Vision. It was Quick Looks lite for Vegas. Done deal.

So I got PowerDirector, ditched Pinnacle, got Vegas Pro 8 and Vegas Vision. Total price = $265 or $30 more than just my Vegas Pro upgrade that I was going to get. The problem for me with all the editors outside Vegas is that they are too simple. Usually you apply the setting and the sliders don't give you values, they just slide. So repeating a setting is hard.

Now, if you like Pinnacle (and they all offer trials), then get to Amazon. They will sell the FULL version of Studio Ultra PLUS their hardware thingy for $99, normally $150. So for the same upgrade price as the software, I would have got the deluxe USB device that allowed you to plug in video cables and S-Video in and out of the computer.

That was my journey. Hope it's helpful.
Rick Insane Diego...

Postby marmart » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Holy cow Rick!! I will have to copy and past this into a word doc to re-read and go from there. Thanks for your indepth response :D

Good luck with your choice and let us know how you like it!!

Mary

Postby nannybear » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:40 am

Really nice! I am keeping my credit cards in the safety deposit box, there are too many temptations out there right now. Must concentrate on making money not spending.... :lol:
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby mrkitzel » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi Al,

Looks like the D90 will be a winner for you! When shooting a wedding is it easy to switch between movie and still modes? It certainly is getting grey between movie and still photography with all this fast moving technology.

Steve.

Esteemed Member

Postby moehler » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:21 pm

Wow!

Return to Photography