Photo Properties

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Photo Properties

Postby Frankie » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:24 am

I've searched the old posts to see if this topic has already been covered and haven't been able to find anything so my apologies in advance if I'm bringing up an old subject but here goes ... I need to move things over to an external storage drive to make room on my hard drive and to establish some back ups. When I go to move my photo files, in particular, I get a message that some properties can't be moved. If I move them anyway and then delete them am I going to regret it later? Is there a way to move the files and retain the properties? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? (p.s. I got my first pro lens for Christmas :lol: )

Thanks and Happy New Year,
Frankie

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Photo Properties

Postby DickK » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:43 am

Frankie wrote:...I need to move things over to an external storage drive to make room on my hard drive and to establish some back ups. When I go to move my photo files, in particular, I get a message that some properties can't be moved...

Okay, don't think I've seen that and my immediate reaction is that it's probably not important but let's see if we can sort it out a bit better than that. Is that the exact wording of the message? When you say you're moving the files, exactly how are you doing that?
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:10 am

I *think* what you are seeing is what you get when you move files from a NTFS file system over to a FAT32 file system (since FAT32 does not support all the attributes that NTFS does). That said, I would suggest that if you are indeed "moving" the files and not "copying" them over there, that you do it a bit different - my preference is to first copy the files to the destination and if all works well, then I can delete them from the source. I have seen a number of cases where the "move" crashed (full disk etc) and you end up not knowing exactly what was moved, what was not and what got dropped. (especially off of the cards from the camera, I ALWAYS copy them to the working directory, then when I'm sure all is well, I delete them from the camera's card).

Along the lines of your comment about freeing up disk space by moving the files to an external drive, I would strongly suggest that you always have your digital images etc in at least two places (different physical drives). Drives fail - it is a fact of life. Disks are cheap these days (try pricing what it costs to try to recover data from a failed drive (even if it is possible) and you will see the meaning of expensive !! ). (I run a backup utility at night that copies all image files from the main "photo" drive to a second physical drive in that machine as well as to a networked Linux machine (and I periodically image stuff to a removable drive too). The problem with digital images is once they are lost, they are REALLY lost :(

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Frankie » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi Mikey and Dick. Happy New Year!

Sorry, I should have said "copying" files. I have been right clicking and selecting "Send To" which copies the files. This gives me a Property Loss message that says "Are you sure you want to copy this folder without its properties. The folder has properties that cannot be copied to the new location." My fear is losing metadata from my camera info.

I googled "Property Loss Message" and found this: "I have looked at the properties, but cannot find any
pattern there. Since posting my original message, Dell support phoned me back and spent quite a time looking at what was happening on my machine. After going away to think about it, their final conclusion was that this is a
glitch in Vista, which they will be raising with Microsoft."
The hard drive I'm trying to free up is running Vista on a Dell laptop, so I made two copies of the file: one, from Adobe Bridge, which didn't give me the message, and the other from the Vista interface, ignoring the Property Loss message. Both copies transferred my metadata so maybe it is just a Vista glitch.

Mikey, thanks for the message regarding the 2 back-ups. I've been somewhat lax in that area, especially since my original Raw files are so big. I've been saving them to an external storage drive but only to one. Have you ever used anything like Nikon storage? I haven't yet because I can't seem to let go of my photos by sending them somewhere. I think it's some kind of maternal instinct. Them being my babies and what not. Can you give me some more details about the back-up utility technique you're talking about? Would it require purchasing lots of new toys? Because Santa's not planning on coming back anytime soon, unfortunately.

Thanks again, Frankie

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:35 pm

As near as I can tell, Vista *is* a bug :evil:

There are a number of different backup utilites ranging all the way from a simple batch file you run periodically that simply copies the files somewhere else up to some fairly fancy ones. The one I normally use (I have the pay version) is called SyncBackSE -- you can find out more about it at http://www.2brightsparks.com/
You create a "profile" for what you want to backup or sync etc. You can specify what files to include, what to exclude and a lot of other options. In the normal mode, you typically configure it to only copy changed files over to the destination (it can support ftp as well). There are also a number of free utilities (SyncBack even has a free version) out there. Snoop around and look at the different utilities -- see what features are important to you and go from there - the trick is to pick something to backup your files :lol:
I believe there are even a couple of windows (Microsoft) utilities under powertools or something like that available. The best bet is a utility that does like SyncBack does and only copies the new/modified files over to the destination - otherwise, you end up taking LOTS of time if you copy everything each time !! (I have over 65 gigabytes of digital photos - that would take a while ! )

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby Frankie » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:05 pm

Mickey,
I took a look at SyncBackSE from the link you provided. It looks good and at $30 it won't break the bank. I couldn't see any reason to go for the pro version, can you? How do you incorporate it into your workflow after a photo shoot? Do you happen to use Lightroom in your process?

I appreciate your help.
Frankie

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:17 pm

I don't use lightroom in any of my stuff. I copy the pictures from the camera to my "transfer_only" directory, weed out the junk pix, rename them to fit my naming convention then move them into the appropriate directories under my photo's main folder (by year and by month). Every night, there are two different "profiles" that run under SyncBackSE to copy any new pictures to a second drive on this machine as well as a drive on a Linux machine. I actually run one profile as a different user ("archiver") so it is the only one that has write priv. to the photo directory on the Linux machine (it is shared on the network as read only for everybody else - helps prevent "accidents" when other family members are looking for pictures).

As far as the "Pro" version goes, I didn't see any need for it in my situation - most of the features it offered were not something I normally use anyway. They also have a good support forum you can snoop through for lots of good info ( http://www.2brightsparks.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=16 )

mikey

Postby Frankie » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:14 pm

Thanks, Mikey. I've downloaded a trial version of SE and set up two different profiles scheduled to begin tomorrow morning. It looks like a much simpler way to create back-ups and to maintain a regular schedule than what I've been trying to do. I have two external storage drives. I'm thinking of setting up a profile for each one and then saving the two copies on each separate drive. This is good. I've been meaning to get a handle on backing up my photo files for some time now. Hey, I just noticed you're in Kirkland. I'm a U Dub grad. God's country!

Frankie

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks ! Grew up in Bellevue, moved to Kirkland when I got married in '76. BSEE from the UW in 75 (back when the Huskies knew how to play football :( - although they had a perfect season this year - lost every game (really !!! ). There are also some tricks you can play with your profiles to specify the destination based on the drive "serial number" etc so they will only run when the drive is plugged in. Be sure and look through the available documentation on their site for examples of how to do things too.

mikey

Postby Frankie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:44 pm

Yep, I was there in 78 when the Huskies razzle dazzled Michigan and beat them in the Rose Bowl. Best game I ever saw! :lol:

Thanks for the additional info on setting up the drive serial number. I set it to run at a scheduled time but since I'm using it on my laptop that's not really practical because I don't always have it on. I'm going to check out that documentation you mentioned. By the way, great shot of the hummingbird on the other post. Amazingly clear for hand held. You must have a steady hand. Do you still have hummingbirds there? We would have hummingcubes here in NY!

Thanks again,
Frankie

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:44 pm

Yes - the Anna's hummingbirds actually stay around all winter. I take the feeders in at night when it is below freezing and put them back out at FIRST light (if you are 5 minutes late, they hover about 2 feet in front of you and tell you what they think of the slow service :lol: ). I put hand warmers under the two feeders to keep them from freezing during the day - it was down to 11 degrees F here the other day - I don't know how they survive the night when it is that cold considering their thermal mass, but they do. Feisty little buggers !!

mikey

Postby Frankie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:36 pm

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewfil ... 4207&alb=0 This is my version. Obviously, not recent. This little guy is probably in Cuernavaca somewhere on a lawn chair sipping mai tai's about now. I took it with a Nikon D200, handheld. Not nearly as sharp as yours. I've since gotten a D700 and am having fun exploring it's features. I tried to post this image like you did on the other link, even pm'ed Mike about it, but couldn't figure it out. Best I could do was post a link to this tiny little image on photodex. :( always something new to learn ...

On the bright side, I successfully backed up with the SE and am amazed at how simple and quick it was.

Frankie

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:55 pm

Harumpf !! It says I "must be logged in to view photos". sigh. The way I do it is I have a free account on photobucket (since you can't include pictures directly in your post). You then include the link to your picture on photobucket (or any other web page for example). Note that the pictures must be less than 600 pixels wide to be included in a post (if you look at it at the photobucket site for example, one of the options for a picture is to use the "img" tags -- that is the version you use here.).

Glad syncback worked well for you. It really is a very powerful utility with lots of options - snoop through the forums and you will see some of the questions/answers on how to do lots of things you didn't even realize you needed to do !

mikey

Postby Frankie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:34 pm

Thanks again, Mikey. Photobucket worked too!

Cheers,
Frankie

Postby Frankie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:21 am

This is a funny ad from B&H called "What's Your Back Up Plan?"

Next

Return to Photography