Lens Repair

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Lens Repair

Postby tomdavis » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:06 pm

I had posted earlier about the old saying "better not take my picture I will break the camera." Well, it happened!!!!! I took over 130 pictures a couple of days ago and changed lenses back and forth several times. Finally, at the very end of my taking pictures of our Great-Granchildren, I put my permanent lens back on the camera and zam........... the barrel swivel stuck in a couple of places and I could not focus, etc. Also could not get the lens to turn past the 25mm mark nor back to the starting of 18mm.

In short I took it to a place here in Sacramento that has been in the business for 30 years. Paid a $20 investigation fee that will be applied to the final bill which will probably be around $100. I was sure to ask if the lens was worth that kind of money to repair and was assured definately it was. (Wish they would make the camera stuff in metal again and not plastic. He told me Canon is also a culprit.)

So................. going to grab my Canon point and shoot camera to fill in and also put my 55mm to 200mm lens back on the Nikon camera and continue taking pictures for the Producer slide program. Can't keep a good guy down. (ha) Love you guys with your slide programs and showing off your fancy moves. Thank you one and all for the time, efforts, and especially your patience to one another and us new kids. (I will be 74 in a few days.)

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Lens Repair

Postby stickgirl » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:59 am

Hi Tom -

I guess the warranty expired on your lens? What model Nikon do you have?

I think it is wonderful that someone your age is willing to master new software and is apparently active with photography. There are many who retire from their jobs and seem to retire from life at the same time.

Happy early birthday to you! Enjoy the holidays.

Kathy

Postby tomdavis » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:33 pm

I have the Nikon D70 and love it. I just wore out the lens. (ha) Thanks for the happy birthday. Hope Santa is good to ya.
Tom

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:20 pm

Something that can be interesting (or spooky) - I think the D70 does it the same as the D70s (that I have) -- somewhere down in the EXIF info on the pictures is the total number of pictures you have taken with the camera. Just looked - it is called "Total pictures" (cleverly enough) - I'm at 16,866 with my "new" camera -- a bit more experienced than I thought - hadn't realized I had taken that many shots.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby tomdavis » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:34 pm

I will have to check that out. They are a great camera. Watching weather in your area. WOW, rain and snow. You are going to catch it according to the news tonight. Buckle up and stay warm. Thanks for all you are doing with this forum. Absolutely GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tom

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks !! Actually relatively warm right now -- 31 degrees F -- it was down to 11 degrees the other morning and I was having a real problem keeping the hummingbird feeders from freezing. Here is my Christmas Hummingbird ...

Shot with my D70s using the Sigma 70-300 zoom lens on 18-Dec-2008 (about 30 degrees out).

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby ChrissyC » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:24 pm

Happy Birthday soon Tom.....waving from up in Shingle Springs.....and Merry Christmas to you and yours....brrrr it's cold tonight isn't it!
hugggs, Chrissy

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:19 am

Adorable picture Mikey. I'm sure the Christmas hat keeps her plenty warm. Do you use flash when you shoot them?

It is very cold on the east coast. Monday it was 4 when I got up and the temp soared to a whopping 11 for the day. The wind chill was well below 0 because of the 40 mph winds. Tuesday was better because it got all the way to 20.

Today is a balmy 36 :roll:

Merry Christmas everyone!

Kathy

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:11 am

Yeah, we're up to a balmy 32 degrees F this morning too - snowing quite hard with several new inches, but it does seem to be warming up some. It would be great except my new tripod and ball head for it are stuck several miles away at the UPS delivery point - they have had it here for several days now but couldn't deliver it. sigh. I did use the on-camera flash when I shot that pix of the hummer - I was about 4 feet away. Looks like we will FINALLY have a white Christmas ... even if it will be melting at the time (we have had snow around here before and after but not for Christmas for many years). Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays everybody !!

mikey

Return to Photography