Port Hole Effect Tutorial

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.
Cree8

Port Hole Effect Tutorial

Postby Cree8 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:25 pm

I was asked by a member of the forum how I'd created the "Port Hole Effect" that I used in my show "Surprise Graduation Gift - Hockey Tribute" to highlight a particular player in a team picture.

So I decided to post my steps here so anyone interested can give it a try.
It's really quite simple.

I have my slide times set to 1 sec cut transition in, 6 sec slide time, and 3 sec fade out transition.

Layer 1 is the border_standard.png, zoomed to 150%
kf 1 = 0 sec
kf 2 = 10 sec
no changes

Layer 2 is a simple circle mask that is set to mask Layer 3
kf 1 = 0 sec, the cirlce is zoomed up to fit outside of the slide's view
kf 2 = 1 sec, zoom remains the same
kf 3 = 7 sec, adjust zoom in to focus on head of player, adjusting pan of x and y as necessary
kf 4 = 10 sec, settings are same as kf3

Layer 3 is the color team picture zoomed as needed to fit inside the frame
kf 1 = 0 sec
kf 2 = 10 sec
nothing changes with this layer

Layer 4 is the same team picture set at the same zoom as layer 3, set to colorize to greyscale (128.128.128)
kf 1 = 0 sec
kf 2 = 10 sec
nothing changes with this layer

I have found, depending on the darkness of the group image, that it can help to add a bottom layer of solid white to lighten the greyscale slide layer.

The port hole effect can be seen in my show "Surprise Graduation Gift - Hockey Tribute" show:
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=144206

I hope I've explained this well enough for you to follow. Let me know if you need any clarification. :)

Have fun with it!
Barb

Re: Port Hole Effect Tutorial

Postby ChrissyC » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:45 pm

(waving) Hi Barb! Oo a new tutorial to try......thank you very much for this :D I'm printing it out and adding it to my "stuff" folder :):)
Chrissy

Cree8

Postby Cree8 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:15 am

Hi Chrissy (waving back atcha!)
I hope my directions work out ok, let me know when you give it a shot. :D

ta, ta,
Barb

Postby Lawgirl11 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:43 pm

Is there another way to make a circle mask if one does not have Photoshop. I like you need to do a hockey tribute for some 14 year old players. The way you did this would be perfect for what I need. I am trying to following your directions and what I am missing is the circle mask.

Postby debngar » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:50 pm

Is there another way to make a circle mask if one does not have Photoshop.

Yes, just insert a radial B&W gradient layer and shove the two arrows on the color line on the ends toward the center on top of each other or where ever you want the size of the white space to be. You have an instant mask - just use as a greyscale. Having the arrows on top of each other removes all the gradient so you have a total delineation between black and white - no grey.

You can use the rectangle gradient and do the same thing, making all your own frames in Producer. You can essentially make them look like any color you want. Resize as necessary by unlocking X & Y.

Here is a tutorial on frame alternatives just posted for you in the tutorial area for your reference. This was made in Producer 3.0 1967 but the concepts remain the same.

"Frame Alternatives" thread:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9991

woodnut

Postby woodnut » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:44 am

Hi

very neat...like the Zamboni wipe...how did you do that

cheers

Neil

Cree8

Postby Cree8 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:06 pm

Thank you Debngar, for helping Lawgirl11 with her question about the circle mask. That was something I didn't know and great info to have. :D

Neil,
Thanks. Glad you liked it. :) The zamboni was fun but quite a challenge for a beginner (me). I used three horizontal bands of color (the ice surface) that were panned off the frame as the zamboni layer moved across the screen for each swipe. The bottom layer was the hockey picture. It was all done with keyframing and duplicated layers. The trick was getting the timing of the zamboni and the color bands to move at the same speed.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Cree8

Return to PSP - Tutorials