magnifying glass help

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.
Esteemed Member

magnifying glass help

Postby shazmark » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:56 pm

please please please could someone give me a simple step by step of the magnifying glass,
i have all the masks etc but dont know how to use them.
i must have downloaded it from someone once before I need to run it over some school group photos of kids'
but plz i need a simple step by step tutorial
i have tried looking on here but cant quite get the knack of what they are saying
i use producer
cheers
shaz

Re: magnifying glass help

Postby cherub » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:15 pm

Hi,
I know that BarbaraC has introduced a tutorial about this in her book, and that Iris (trulytango) wrote a tutorial about this in this forum, but I cannot find it right now.
In the meantime, here is a screenshot of what I once posted. The order of the layers is very important.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9476/magnifyxt0.png

Hope it helps for now.

Edit post:

I found the tutorial written by Iris, here it is !! :D :D
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgx8xz2s_21rc4wgpgh

Postby trulytango » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:26 pm

Hi there Shaz and Cherub

Yes... we covered the basic magnifying effect for the pdf, complete with a screenshot, because like you say, Mona, the screenshot is really important 8) and like you... can I find what we posted a while back :roll: No.

One thing I did find in using the effect on a group photo, was that extra care and attention should be paid in getting the right faces to appear under the glass at the right times - for the effect to be convincing. Shaz, look out for a PM with some extra pointers about doing this effect on a group photo.

I have been away for a week and I can't believe how many posts there are to read :shock:

TTFN
Iris

Additional notes/edit
Mona! You are so much more 'on the ball' than me :lol:

Thanks for reminding me about Google docs! The link you posted is to the basic effect but for anyone interested in getting a more realistic effect on a group photo this particular step-by-step might help?

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dxvfzj5_24c97r64g9&hl=en

Have fun

Postby cherub » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:52 pm

Iris, Welcome back !!!
Hope you had a great time !

PS. Iris, I don't play football, so what does this idiom mean "to be on the ball" ?? :D :D :D

Postby trulytango » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:15 am

Hey Mona... I don't play football either! Sadly though, I am married to a man who adores Manchester United which means I have to endure it on TV :lol:

"On the ball" - not entirely sure where it comes from but it's a popular phrase in the UK... I suppose it means to be quick-witted, observant or ready to spring into action 8)

We had a nice relaxing holiday, thanks!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Studio7Productions » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:03 am

cherub wrote:Iris, Welcome back !!!
Hope you had a great time !

PS. Iris, I don't play football, so what does this idiom mean "to be on the ball" ?? :D :D :D

Time balls were common in the nineteenth century before easy access to wristwatches and radio made them redundant. They were especially important to seafarers, who needed an accurate time reference to check their navigational chronometers.
The Greenwich time ball was first used in 1833. If we turn to the Historical Dictionary of American Slang we find that the first recorded appearance of the phrase on the ball is from much later: the early years of the twentieth century. When we look at the way it was used around that time, it’s obvious that it comes from sports, in particular from baseball.

The original form was to put something on the ball, meaning that the pitcher gave it deceptive motion or unusual speed. I’ve found this from 1909: “Cates had something on the ball. The two innings he worked he had the Pirates buffaloed.” An example that appeared in the Washington Post in July 1906 shows the way the expression developed:

By the 1930s, it had broadened its application and appeal to mean somebody who was especially alert or capable, presumably by being amalgamated with an earlier expression that advised budding sportsmen to “Always keep your eye on the ball”. On the ball was later still exported to Britain.
PSP v 5: Adobe CS5 Extended:Sony Soundforge Pro 10: Canon 50D: Canon EOS 1000D: Nikon D40:

" Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. "
Sir Winston Churchill

Postby heckydog » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:44 am

shazmark wrote:please please please could someone give me a simple step by step of the magnifying glass,
i have all the masks etc but dont know how to use them.
i must have downloaded it from someone once before I need to run it over some school group photos of kids'
but plz i need a simple step by step tutorial
i have tried looking on here but cant quite get the knack of what they are saying
i use producer
cheers
shaz

shazmark, and those of us who use BluffTitler :)

They have added a magnifying glass effect to their already very large assortment of effects. It works extremely well and a later improvement even added a magnifying glass that can be rotated. All that's needed is to download the fx file and add it to your show. Output it to avi and add it to PSP.

Here, http://www.outerspace-software.com/gall ... icleID=540 , is a link to the article.

Joe

Esteemed Member

Postby shazmark » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:24 pm

tnx everyone,
it is not an easy one to achieve is it...
I am very impressed with blufftitler though,
tnx so much for introducing it to me Joe,
they wont let me look at the magnifying glass without purchasing it though,
I am thinking seriously about buying it, do you think it would be a good idea to make my own backgrounds
because i am having trouble with some of my backgrounds taking ages to load into the show and when i load these ones, the demos i make they load very quickly for some reason, I will have to check out the quallity when i view it on my dvd player though,
How do you find it Joe? is it a good program for creating my own backgrounds is it worthwhile purchasing
tnx for all of your time
kindest most thnx
shaz

Postby heckydog » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:52 pm

shazmark wrote:tnx everyone,
it is not an easy one to achieve is it...
I am very impressed with blufftitler though,
tnx so much for introducing it to me Joe,
they wont let me look at the magnifying glass without purchasing it though,
I am thinking seriously about buying it, do you think it would be a good idea to make my own backgrounds
because i am having trouble with some of my backgrounds taking ages to load into the show and when i load these ones, the demos i make they load very quickly for some reason, I will have to check out the quallity when i view it on my dvd player though,
How do you find it Joe? is it a good program for creating my own backgrounds is it worthwhile purchasing
tnx for all of your time
kindest most thnx
shaz

shaz,

It's most definitely worth purchasing. A trial verion is available here: http://www.outerspace-software.com/download.html. It's about 60 USD or 40 euros (I guess that changes depending on how the dollar is doing). I've had it since version 4 and have never paid for an upgrade. It's now on version 7.25. How they do that, I don't know. Maybe it's folks like me and dilyla (Diana) who expound it's virtues and get new people to buy it all the time. :wink:

It's not mentioned in that gallery thread, but I requested that magnify glass effect and michiel had the first version posted the next day!!

You can do a search on this forum for discussions about it. There will also be links to some samples of what some of us have done with it.

Have fun exploring it's many features and feel free to ask any questions you have.

Joe

added: You can make some very nice animated backgrounds with the plasma layers if that's the type you're looking for.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby dilyla » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:09 pm

Shaz...

And, might I mention that it was Joe (heckydog) that got *me* hooked on the software to begin with! :D

And, he's right.... It is definitely worth the cost.

- Diana (dilyla)
Dilyla's Designs
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Esteemed Member

Postby shazmark » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:06 am

tnx joe and diana,
you have just about sold me on it now all i need is to see some samples on here of what people have done,
any ideas where i can find any posts
cheers
shaz
and oh yeah....tnx for offering me help with it, cos i might be bugging you guys about it
kindest most thankfull regards
shaz

Postby nannybear » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:27 pm

Ok just how much of a learning curve does it have as my brain is getting full!! Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby heckydog » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:31 pm

nannybear wrote:Ok just how much of a learning curve does it have as my brain is getting full!! Cheers Jan

There's a learning curve . . . . . . . but . . . . . . . . . . .

It also comes with hundreds of pre-made effects that are easy to modify. If you pick a particular effect and look at each parameter and study how it changes over the life of the timeline, you will understand the ins and outs of it pretty quickly.

BT is a great program by itself, but it's a natural add-on to Proshow. That's why I recommend it so often. It does things now that people are clamoring to see in ProShow. Like true 3D manipulation of 2D pictures in the X, Y, and Z axis just to name one. Real cubes that can rotate 6 different ways is another.

Michiel just added a curtain effect that looks like a real curtain folding open and closed. I haven't used it but it looks great.

Okay, now I'll shut up. :wink:

Joe

kathymw

Postby kathymw » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:25 pm

Joe got me hooked. I made my intro in BT and have made use of some of the Pre-made effects as well. It's well worth the purchase!!!

Postby nannybear » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:58 am

Thanks Joe, I think I am going to have to give it a go.....cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Next

Return to PSP - Tutorials