Creating Page Curl/Peel Transition Yourself

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Creating Page Curl/Peel Transition Yourself

Postby im42n8 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:12 pm

This is the updated version. (This illustrates how to effectively use masks and images to create an illusion of motion. Also required are some visualization and creativity to understand what's going on. While a bit challenging, understanding what is happening and how to create this effect can have some significant impact on how you effectively apply what you've learned to the shows you create. Good luck and have fun!)

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=135843

Well, this one is a bit more complicated than one might want to make it. However, I was trying to also include the possibility of peeling the page off with the lower page being the same page that was just peeled but with a portrait image on top of that image as well. I was trying to make it more realistic for that potentiality. W/o that consideration, the page peel would have been a bit simpler to implement. I probably spent more time trying to get things perfect than was warranted, given the results. But I did identify dead ends or approaches that didn't work sufficiently well. I could have eliminated the first layer I'm presently using and then changed the opacity of the current peeled layer (L3). But, it looked better to me this other way ( a bit more realistic). Also, if you use the page peel to reveal the portrait image, this method won't show the portrait image through the page peel!

I have 8 layers
L1 is the page curl image (one of these images is lying around somewhere. or try here:
http://tiny123.com/ka (had to shrink it ... it's one heck of a long link!!!)
or here (if you can't get to the yahoo page): http://fenimorephotovideos.com/Graphics/PagePeel_b.png
L2 is a duplicate of L1 but is used as a mask. (alpha, 1 deep)
L3 is the image being "peeled"
L4 is a solid color layer and is used as a mask (inverted, alpha, 1 deep)
L5 is the portrait image that'll remain after the page peel
L6 is a solid color layer and is used as a mask (inverted, alpha, 1 deep)
L7 is the new background image
L8 is the background image ... and is the image that appears to be being peeled away.

The slide was made to be 8s in length
L1 and L2 have kf at 0, 3, 4, and 10s
..kf1-kf2: pan -60, -60 to -60,-60; zoom xy: 19; rotate: 20
..kf2-kf3: pan -60,-60 to 50,50; zoom x:18 to 200; zoom y: 18 to 325; rotate: 20
..kf3-kf4: pan 50,50 to 52,50; the rest is the same as above.

L1. Image is set to an opacity of 46% and has a drop shadow

L3.
Kf1: 4s (transition in: .8s; wipe upper left to lower right, soft edge)
kf2: 4.9s; kf3: 5.3s; kf4: 5.5s; kf5: 6.85s; kf6: 10s
kf1-kf2: pan: -85, -270 to -39.9,-127.5; zoom starts at 200...kf2 is auto; rotate: -72 to -60
- kf3: pan: -20 to -80.9; zoom x: 124; zoom y: 234; rotate: -27
- kf4: pan: -10 to -35.5; zoom x: 124; zoom y: 163; rotate: -19
- kf5: pan: 12 to 111; zoom x: 168; zoom y: 135; rotate: 10
- kf6 pan: 100 to 115; zoom x: 100; zoom y: 100; rotate: 0
- Image is flipped vertically

L4. kf1: 4s; kf2: 7s; kf3: 10s
kf1 to kf2: pan: 22,200 to 132,200; zoom xy: 200; rotate: 62 to 58
- kf3: pan: 100,250; zoom xy: 200; rotate: 45

L5. kf1: 4s, kf2: 10s
KF1 to KF2: (portrait: fit to safe zone). all default settings; transition in/out: cut
I used a drop shadow and border on this image

L6. kf1: 4s, kf2: 7s; kf3: 10s
kf1 to kf2: pan: -15,100 to 125,210; zoom xy: 200; rotate: 62 to 58
- kf3: pan: 125,250; zoom xy: 246; rotate: 45

L7. kf1 at 4s, kf2 at 10s. Transition in/out: cut; fill frame; default settings

L8 Kf1 and kf2 at extreme ends. transition in/out: cut/ fill frame; default settings

Now, if your page peel graphic is different, your timings will change. This is not a perfect setup but will work reasonably well for a variety of situations. If you don't need the portrait layers, turn them off/ don't use them.

dale
Last edited by im42n8 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Page Curl/Peel Transition

Postby dilyla » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:05 pm

Great job, Dale! It must have taken as long to type out the instructions as it did to create the effect. :D

Can't wait to give this a try & experiment when I've a free moment! Thanks for sharing the technique!

- Diana
Dilyla's Designs
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Valued Member

Postby Wilcovr » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:21 pm

Dale,

Thank you so much.
It looks like a math class to me, but you gave us the solution already.
Must be a lot of work. I will give it a try in a spare moment and whem the PC is available :?

My wife has a new hobby. Creating digital photoalbums.
When you send the digital created album to an albumprintservice they will print it on paper.
See likes that a lot, but that also means that I can not use the PC.

Wilco
Nikon D40x, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Bluff Titler, HLP, VSP, Producer v4.5, Juice

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:27 am

Dale, you did a phenomenal job on this effect. I've copied your instructions and saved them so I can give it a try as soon as I'm allowed back at my desktop computer (back problems).

There are variations to this that are already floating in my mind. For instance, it could be done horizontally so it works somewhat like a scroll. Or it could be like glass that turns translucent and slides away--or shatters?

The brain's working, and now if I can just get the body working, I'll start playing with this.

Thank you for spending the huge amount of time it must have taken to write out those instructions.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:16 am

Yep, this by far is NOT an only solution but one that shows some possibilities. It's much like some of the others I did that looked like a glass bar sliding across the screen that either laid down another image or rolled an image off the screen.

It's a transition! It'd be nice if we had other such transitions (from Photodex) that were as easy to use as the present ones. But, as it is, if you want the more interesting ones you've either got to buy them (like Digital Juice) or create one of your own. Creating your own takes some imagination and can take lots of time to do it right ... and requires knowing the software pretty well (esp masking and keyframing). This one may not be perfect but it works pretty well for a variety of situations. Plus, with the right graphic and a bit of imagination, some pretty nifty transitions can be had! I'm sure there are a few out there that are up to the task and its challenges!

Dale

Postby Bighousedaddy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:56 pm

Hi Dale... Great job... Do you think it would take much to build this so it would run in reverse??? I want to simulate a page being laid on top another page.

Ken
Love and Peace
Kenn aka Bighousedaddy <><

Postby im42n8 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:31 pm

Ken,

I think it'll depend on the graphic you use to work with your transition. In this case, the "curl" will change size as it goes across the screen. Rotating and flipping it will allow it to be used in any corner I think. But from a direct side to side or top to top, I think another version of the graphic is required.

Whatcher probably looking for might be found here. It's a variety of transitions that either lay down a new layer or roll one up:
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=135843

I was just farting around with ideas! :D Came up with a few that looked promising! Take a gander and let me know what you think!

Dale

Postby Bighousedaddy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:22 pm

Dale, you're right... those are more of what I'm needing...

Here is what I'm trying to do....

In an instruction video on making boots I have a drawing of one of the patterns... I want to lay a sheet of Velum tracing film over the drawing... Of course the tracing velum is simluated... by adjusting the opacity down... but I thought it look more realistic to have the velum being rolled over the drawing... because just changing the opacity doesn't look like anything...

Ken
Love and Peace

Postby im42n8 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:14 pm

The vellum that's in the "roll" or "glass bar" is masked to the size of the object that's rolling across the image (I "simulated" a glass bar). Over the mask image you can have another masked image that simulates the rolling (an image with multiple gradients, at a slight pitch from the hz or vt -- depending on what you're doing) and large enough that you can have it move a little bit as it translates across the screen (but that's an advanced technique that might not give you that extra realism that's worth the effort to create). So, you can just put a semi-transparent image over the mask that's rolling the vellum onto the screen ... and it'll probably look just fine. ... it's for simulating the light bouncing off the image. Just look at a glass bar if you can find one and notice the lighting effect on it....

WRT the vellum layer, the stuff that's under the "glass bar" mask will be changing location and zoom levels and maybe even rotation a bit as it goes so that you can simulate actual movement of the vellum unrolling. The zoom really helps make it look more real!

You may have to have a mask for the vellum that's being left behind over your image.... the mask will move off screen with the "glass bar" mask to reveal the vellum layer. You might get away with not using the mask but I doubt it'll be as easy as using one -- besides, all it's doing is leaving the screen and revealing something!

Good Luck!

Dale

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:14 am

Ken, I have a feeling that what you want to do is a simpler version of what Dale has done since, essentially, it'll be a blank piece of vellum coming down over a drawing that's already sitting there. In thinking about the times I've used vellum, you don't actually see the image beneath until the vellum is pretty much resting flush on the drawing beneath.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Bighousedaddy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:23 am

You're right Barbara... What I did was make a page curl in Paint Shop Pro, then just slid it over the paper by sitting the motion in PSP... it works pretty good... Like you I don't think I need anything more than that... If it would have been easier to do what Dale had done I would have gone with that... but for what this is that would have been to much work...

Ken
Love and Peace

Postby im42n8 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:27 pm

Wimps! :D :D

Postby Bighousedaddy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:38 pm

Aww come on Dale... I've never been a whimp about anything... But this is a brain teaser... Its too much for the short amount of time I have left to finish this show... I also might add I'm 60... I wouldn't finish figuring out the kf's and layers until I would be 68... one layer per year... LOL... I'll come back and tackle this page peel after I'm finished with this project.... And I'll send you the link... Deal???

Bighousedaddy

Ok, Ok... I whimped out once when my wife gave birth to our son in the bath tub... but that is it....
Love and Peace

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:03 pm

Hey Dale,
Kinda late arriving on the scene (thanks to Hurricane Ike) but wanted to jump in to say "Cool Transition!" Very creative.

Hugs,
Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Postby im42n8 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:20 pm

Ken, yer too funny! :D

Deadlines ... timelines ... I can't get any shows done since I'm running all over the place. So, I know what it's like!

I try to get one started and something comes up. Photo shot here, photo shot there, trip here, trip there, etc. SHEESH ...! (we all have our problems! 8) )

Dale

Next

Return to PSP - Tutorials