A Couple of Photoshop Tutorials

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

A Couple of Photoshop Tutorials

Postby VidQueen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi Folks!

These topics may be covered already in another tutorial (There are many others here who are much more experienced at Photoshop than I!). But, I posted them on my website and I thought I'd share them here. They may spark some new creative ideas! I don't really even know how to explain what they cover.....layer effects in Photoshop?!

One note: they are both excerpts from a longer tutorial that is included in a template, so if they seem to start in the middle of a thought....that's why! They are both short, 3 and 2 minutes respectively.

Excerpt 1

Excerpt 2

Enjoy!
Jennifer

ladyblu

Postby ladyblu » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:03 pm

Great quickie tutorials, Jen. Well done and easy to understand. I can see lots of uses for both of the effects.

The first effect is similar (has the same steps basically) to one that I use a lot: having the subject "pop" out of the photo frame. Never thought of having the background move like that. very cool. I like using Photoshop Elements to do the actual extractions. So much easier, for me, than regular Photoshop. I could never get the erasing down just right, or the lasso tool.

On your second tutorial, the effect with the brides bouquet is stunning! Thank you for sharing these.

I have a question on the actual creation of your web shows / tutorials: what do you use to create the flash (I'm guessing it's flash) file and make it so clear and smooth at such a nice, larger resolution size? Your shows always view well.

again, thanks for sharing these photoshop tips.
~Kelly

Postby VidQueen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for watching, I'm glad there was something of value in there!

On my current website I'm actually using Windows Media for the video files. I don't recommend that, though. I'm building a new website that will use Flash. I use Camtasia Studio for the screen captures, it's a great program! I've tried to use Camtasia and Producer to create the WM files, but the quality just isn't very good. I render the files as a high quality MOV and then re-render them in After Effects. Just seems to come out smoother :)

Cheers!
Jennifer

Postby debngar » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:14 pm

Jennifer,

Two great effects and very nicely explained as always. :D

Thanks!

Debbie

ladyblu

Postby ladyblu » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:00 am

thanks for the info, Jen. Have heard good things about Camtasia.

I have Sony Vegas & DVD Architect, so I'm experimenting there with different combinations.

again, loved the tutorials.
~Kelly

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:34 am

Jennifer, I tried watching but the screen was so tiny that I couldn't see much more than spots of color. Have you thought about redoing them larger and posting them on the Photodex site?

Barbara

Postby VidQueen » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:46 am

BarbaraC wrote:Jennifer, I tried watching but the screen was so tiny that I couldn't see much more than spots of color. Have you thought about redoing them larger and posting them on the Photodex site?

Barbara

Barbara,

You might want to check your settings (either IE or WM, not sure which one). The videos are posted at 640 x 480, which is actually larger than the Photodex viewing size (by just a little). If you still have trouble, go ahead and download the zip file for each tutorial (located under the video in the details area...don't add this to your cart).

Thanks for checking it out!
Jennifer

Postby HunnyB » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:36 am

I had a lightbulb moment watching the videos.
Can't wait to use this effect in a show I am working on.
Thanks so much for sharing your valuable professional knowledge with all of us.
You are a fabulous asset to our little garden group.
:D

HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:45 am

VidQueen wrote:You might want to check your settings (either IE or WM, not sure which one). The videos are posted at 640 x 480, which is actually larger than the Photodex viewing size (by just a little).

I use Firefox, but I'm sure the settings wouldn't be in there. I don't remember seeing any separate settings for Web viewing in Windows Media Player, but that doesn't mean they aren't in there. It just means I never saw them.

I'll download them and see what happens that way.

Thanks.

Barbara

Postby sheldonk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:15 am

Jennifer,

I checked out your new wedding template on your website. Looks like a very comprehensive product for a very good price. Getting 50 minutes of how to use it sounds great! I found a bunch of proofs from our wedding and if I can get my wedding album out from under the leg of the dining room table, I just might buy that template and make a show of our wedding in 1988! Probably would make a really nice anniversary gift. Better than the new riding mower I was going to get her.

BTW, I really enjoyed your keyframe tutorial. Helped me out alot.

Thanks,

Sheldon

PS I'm still getting paid on commission right? :-)

Postby trulytango » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:42 am

Hi there

Tiny window for another Firefox user here... but switched to AOL browser or plain old IE and they are just right. Firefox is so reliable for most things but at times it likes to misbehave.

Regards
Iris

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:58 am

trulytango wrote:Tiny window for another Firefox user here... but switched to AOL browser or plain old IE and they are just right. Firefox is so reliable for most things but at times it likes to misbehave.

I downloaded the two tutorials and that's when they worked perfectly. I meant to see if using Ctrl + would increase the size, but I forgot to. Have to try that.

Jennifer, both are excellent tutorials. I was particularly interested in the bride effect. I'm going to watch the tutorial again and give it a try. Thank you so much!

Barbara

Postby cherub » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:03 am

Jennifer, thanks for the good tutorials, as well as for your monthly letter. Good stuff !

trulytango wrote:Tiny window for another Firefox user here... but switched to AOL browser or plain old IE and they are just right. Firefox is so reliable for most things but at times it likes to misbehave.
Regards
Iris

Well, it's not Firefox itself. It's that Windows Media Player plug-in, made by, guess who ? Microsoft !!
This is Microsoft's contribution to Firefox :D :D
Right click will bring up the menus to increase the screen, but the buttons don't work !!

On the other hand, IE 7 prevented me from opening the player all together, because of ActiveX security settings.:D
Go figure !

Postby im42n8 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:30 am

No, Firefox isn't misbehaving ... it's the setup for the page ... the page is expecting IE for the video. The page apparently wasn't setup to check the type of browser. So, the problem will be there for all browsers (probably: i.e., Safari, Opera, Firefox, Netscape) except those that use the IE engine (e.g., IE or AOL Browser).

Switching the Firefox tab to the IE engine allows the full screen video.

Dale

trulytango wrote:Hi there

Tiny window for another Firefox user here... but switched to AOL browser or plain old IE and they are just right. Firefox is so reliable for most things but at times it likes to misbehave.

Regards
Iris

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:41 am

im42n8 wrote:Switching the Firefox tab to the IE engine allows the full screen video.

What tab are you talking about?

Barbara

Next

Return to PSP - Tutorials