Creating a collage in Photoshop to use in PSP

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Creating a collage in Photoshop to use in PSP

Postby trulytango » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi guys

I originally posted this link in the PSP Sample Shows thread, but as it contains some useful information regarding using individual layers from a multi-layered Photoshop file, I thought I'd also put it here.

The show outlines the use of layers in Photoshop and how individual Blend Modes (available in the layers palette) can affect the finished image. It also shows how the individual layers can be successfully used in ProShow e.g. merging images together.

Here's the link:
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 1563&alb=0

If you missed the original show that used the method, you can find it here:
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 0599&alb=0

TTFN
Iris
UK
Last edited by trulytango on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Valued Member

Postby DanMac » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:46 pm

Iris,

I had watched your show in your earlier post and enjoyed the way your collage worked. Thanks for sharing your talent, it will very useful.

Dan
Dan

Re: Creating a collage in Photoshop to use in PSP

Postby Pauline Collins » Wed May 21, 2008 11:41 am

Thank you Iris for the Collage, it is really great and I am sure that I will be using your ideas in the future as I have been wondering how to get those effects.
Cheers Pauline

Postby trulytango » Thu May 22, 2008 3:01 am

Hi Pauline

Glad you liked it - and I hope you find it useful too. The Photoshop blend modes I used in the collage demo were simply the ones that worked best with my particular set of images... the main key to success is in playing around with the different modes and choosing the ones that work for you.

Regards
Iris

Postby Pauline Collins » Thu May 22, 2008 11:38 am

Hi again Iris. Just had a look at your other work, amazing. I have never played around with the Blend Modes. I loved the Venetian Daydream as a lot of the places were familiar as we were there for 2 weeks and I took umpteen photos with the thought of painting them but the computer has taken over since and I hung up my paint brushes.

To get that Sepia, old age look is there a favourite blend you use (like do you always have to put a layer of wood or such on top)? Is there a quick easy way. Without seeing your examples I would have tried to make everything Sepia.

Also what method do you use for your cut outs? Like the one where you are sitting at the table and the background changes. I have tried many methods but not 100% satisfied with the result, seem to get a dark halo around them.
Cheers Pauline

Postby trulytango » Fri May 23, 2008 1:06 am

Hi Pauline

For cut-outs in Photoshop, I tend to use the pen tool most of the time. It wasn't the easiest thing to get to grips with but once learned, it soon became my favourite as it can give such accurate curves etc. but you should use the one that feels most comfortable to you - so my advice would be try them all.

Regarding the dark halo you described... once you have made your selection to cut out i.e. you have the marching ants around it, try going to Select > Modify and choose to Contract by a few pixels - this will pinch in the edge to within the boundary of your image. Then go to Select > Modify > Smooth/Feather to give a realistic edge to the cut out. Once that's done, go to Layer > New > Layer via Copy. In the layers palette (hit F7 to bring it up if its not in view), you will have your original background image and the new layer with just the cut-out on top. Switch off the background (click the little eye icon) and then go to File > Save As... choosing PNG file type. This always seems to work well for me when I create cut outs to use as layers in PSP.

Sepia toning - no, I don't always use an image layer such as the wood, but if I have many layers to tone I do put a colour layer on the top and choose the colour blend mode to tone them all at once i.e. I don't tone each picture/cutout separately. Of course if there is only one picture to tone then I might just use Producers own colorize facility or in Photoshop I'd just use the Hue/Saturation slider as in the video tutorial below:

http://video.about.com/graphicssoft/Sep ... toshop.htm

Hope this helps.

TTFN
Iris

Postby Pauline Collins » Sat May 24, 2008 4:01 am

Thank you so much Iris for your time in explaining that to me.

Looked at the video for sepia tone but thought they were a bit pinkish, I have a nice sepia Action that I use but I like your effects with the Blending Modes so will be practising that (is there enough time in a lifetime to do all these things)

Will definitely follow your directions for cut outs by using the contract etc. Tried the pen tool a few times a while back but maybe did not pracy enough.
Thanks you again.
Cheers Pauline

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Sat May 24, 2008 6:50 pm

Iris, I had previously watched your earlier show and found it to both enjoyable and highly creative. Thanks for posting your process again. I must try this because I do like the result. Thank you for posting.

Best regards,
Don

Postby trulytango » Sun May 25, 2008 12:52 am

Hi

Don - Thanks for watching. Hope you find time to have a go with some of your own shots... I know you have some fabulous material to work with!

Pauline - everyone's idea of a good sepia tone seems to differ! My trusty old wood layer means all my collages match - I had a series of them (based upon images taken in Rome) printed and framed and they look really good. I suppose the key is to experiment, find the right one and take note of all those mysterious numbers attached to a shade in Photshop or Producer :lol:

TTFN
Iris

Postby Pauline Collins » Sun May 25, 2008 12:58 am

Thanks Iris.
Pauline

Postby webandgraphicsguy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:21 am

Hi Iris,
I love what you did with layers in PS, It creates such a unique look to the image. I noticed that you are from the UK. Have you ever heard of Stuart Little, or the Little Photoshop. http://thelittlephotoshop.co.uk/
I am a member of his forum, and purchased many of his tutorials on Photoshop. Good Stuff!!!
Take care,
Joe

Postby trulytango » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:13 am

Hi Joe

Thanks for watching - glad you liked the collage work:D

Stuart Little... yes, I've certainly heard of him! I was a regular visitor to his site at one time and I picked up some key skills via his tutorials. Plus, I too have a handful of his CDs - very good quality indeed.

TTFN
Iris

John O.

Postby John O. » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:33 pm

WOOOOAH!!! YOUR REALLY GOOD! YOu show be smoking mad props for you great job!

Postby trulytango » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:12 am

Hi John O :lol:

WELCOME to the forum! Thanks for watching... I'm glad you liked it.

TTFN
Iris

Return to PSP - Tutorials