"Changing The Look Of Layered Frame Masks "

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

"Changing The Look Of Layered Frame Masks "

Postby debngar » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:46 pm

You cannot change the color of the border/mask files provided by Photodex without Photoshopping them.

You also cannot colorize them to change the color.

But there is a trick to getting them look like you colored them.

This tutorial shows some samples and how to do it.

"Changing The Look Of Layered Frame Masks " - 4:30 min

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=127032

Debbie

Postby marmart » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:56 am

Again! Great stuff!! Thanks

Mary

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:21 am

Debbie, You are now a Proshow PHD. 8)

Ben
Last edited by hardsoftware on Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Esteemed Member

Postby flyrobynfly » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:04 pm

Thank you so much, this will definitely come in handy!
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~ Joseph Chilton Pearce

Photoshop CS2, PSG & PSP, Kodak C653

Changing the Size of Masks

Postby Curtiscop » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Hi Everyone, and Especially Debbie (DEBNGAR)

I watched your tutorial on 'changing the size of masks' (with the dog and three seperate frames). Wanted to ask you ..... how did you achieve the 'growing' effect; where it went from the original size and grew to the revised height? Once you changed the size, it would seem you would only have TWO different views (before / after).

Thanks, ..... and by the way ...... just joined ProShow Enthusiasts. I'm a newbie on the site and a 'sorta newbie' at Producer.

Curtis

Postby debngar » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:59 am

Hello Curtis,

Review the explanation in that Portrait Triple Mask show and note how to change the X & Y coordinates. The frame starts out normal and ends up stretched isimilar to how you zoom in on a picture except for the x & y differences.

I only stretched it over the time of the slide so you could see the difference between what it looks like at the beginning compared to what it looks like if you resized it and how you are not stuck with the size of the original opening if you use the options in Producer.

Debbie

Problem with "Changing The Look Of Layered Frame Masks "

Postby schatzimab » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:27 pm

I am just beginning to learn about masks used as frames. I have followed the tutorial exactly and everything works UNTIL I change the mask from alpha transparency to Intensity grayscale. The tutorial indicates there should then be a black mat over the photo, but this doesn't happen for me. I love the appearance of the slides with the black mat and colored line around the image appropriate to the image. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong. I am having a difficult time learning this. I went to a Photodex seminar last spring and seem to be doing worse than before I went. Too much material to learn. I am in awe at the beautiful shows many of the forum members have posted.

Zooming within a frame mask

Postby schatzimab » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:25 pm

I have searched for an answer on this topic but am not finding anything in Photodex or the seminar. I know I can zoom on an image when it is in a border, and the border stays the same size. But when I try doing this using the frame mask, the image grows outside the boundaries of the mask. I have tried changing the x/y on the mask layer, but am not getting anywhere. Thanks to anyone out there patient enough to help a real novice. I have spent several days working on just a few minor things like this and getting very frustrated. My husband is already saying I need to find a new hobby.
Thanks.

Re: "Changing The Look Of Layered Frame Masks "

Postby debngar » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:45 pm

The tutorial indicates there should then be a black mat over the photo, but this doesn't happen for me. I love the appearance of the slides with the black mat and colored line around the image appropriate to the image. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong

Double check to see if the "invert" tick box is checked in the masking section. I believe it should be checked to invert. Try that and let me know if that works or not.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Zooming inside a frame

Postby debngar » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:06 pm

If these suggestions below don't work, rather than continue to address this subject inside this thread, post this question you have about zooming inside a frame in tips and tricks with the specific subject as your title so others can see and reply too. Also it will hopefully be easier to find when others are looking for it.

I know this has been addressed a few times but couldn't find the thread to point to either. :(

I've done this in a slide with 4 layers. 3rd and 4th layer may be same images or different.

1 Thin white frame with hole in the middle and transparent outside as well
2 Solid White layer which masks layer 3 - size big enough to cover inside frame but not exceeding frame exterior. Set this to grayscale channel and not inverted.
->3 Image you wish to frame and zoom within the boundaries of layer 1
4 Same image as 3 or a different image.
Debbie

Grayscale mask still not working

Postby schatzimab » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:27 am

Thank you, Debbie, for your quick responses. I am still doing something wrong. Here is what I have on the slide.
Layer 1 - BorderStdGrunge set as Mask - Depth 2 - Inverted - (tried both alpha and grayscale with no difference); x/y both set at 147
Layer 2 - BorderStdGrunge X-140 Y-138
Layer 3 - Image 75% - Outline on - white - size 5 - drop shadow
Background - Solid blue color
Vignette is on in all layers

Here is what I see:
Blue border, white line, thin area of blue within white line, image. (It looks nice but is NOT what I am trying to do).

If I make my image 113% as in your example, all I see is the image - none of the mask or outline. If I turn off outline on the image I do not see a white line at all as I think you should do in your example. I am also not able to create the effect you show with a black line outlining everything.

Also, I am not understanding about the zooming, but as you suggested I will address that topic in "Tips".

Thanks so much for your help. I can't imagine how long it took you to gain the expertise you have in this program!
Mary

Re: "Changing The Look Of Layered Frame Masks "

Postby debngar » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:38 am

Hi Mary,

You've asked two different types of questions, one related to the tutorial and the other related to a completely different effect. So take the zooming behind a frame to another thread in tips and tricks so you aren't confused and so I don't confuse you as well.

The following suggestions are ONLY related to this tutorial.

This is a bit complicated to do this without seeing a screen shot of your scenario. I don't have time to dissect the settings you describe because I'm working on a couple of other things right now. I don't put a lot of detail in my tutorials because they are for users that have some solid, basic hands-on knowledge and experience with the program.

If you're new at Producer, this is sort of an advanced type of effect. But that isn't to discourage you. I just don't know where you are in the range of understanding Producer, its features, where to find them and how to adjust them.

The dog image with the grunge border in my tutorial only has the grunge mask over it, set to depth of 1 - that's the only things in the slide - 2 layers.

I wouldn't choose to use the grunge border twice to begin with. Use the Border_Standard png instead - at least until you get the hang of putting this together.

Also, lose the vignette and outline on the layers. None of that is used in the examples.

Try again and make the setting more simple as described, one step at at time and see what happens.
Debbie

Thank you

Postby schatzimab » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:45 am

Debbie,
Thanks again. I will keep trying. Looking forward to the new book that is supposed to be coming out, as think it will give a more structured method of learning. I went to 2-day Photodex seminar, bought & watched their tutorial disks, and have read LOTS on this forum, but think I need to go back and go in some organized manner. No need to answer here. I am giving up for a week or so, as we are taking a short trip.
Mary

Got It! Thanks again

Postby schatzimab » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:23 am

Debbie,
I had been building one example on top of the next. After reading your last post I went back and tried your suggestions - and voila! Looks great. Thanks so much. It even solved the zooming problem.
Mary

Return to PSP - Tutorials