Tutorial: Masks Exposed Vol. 2

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.
skiyak

Postby skiyak » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:34 am

Below:
Last edited by skiyak on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

skiyak

Postby skiyak » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:38 am

GabBill wrote:Great job, Rick. Very clear and concise.

Before I knock myself out, let me ask this: You've demonstrated how really simple it is to use a mask with 3 layers. This may just be an academic question because I'm not sure of the practicality, but can we use multiple maske and multiple layers on 1 slide.

Thanx very much,

Bill


You certainly can put multiple masks on one slide. I call it the "sandwich" approach where you'll be able to put multiple pictures in different masks (no need to try and fit the pic in the transparent hole, just use the whole pic and you will see through). When I get home tonight, I'll post a sample and will take screensnaps of the layers on how it's done.

I used this in the instance of naming members of a baseball team and I wanted to put a few players on each slide but they all came from different pictures.

.
User avatar
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: San Diego

Postby rkligman » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:41 pm

skiyak wrote:
GabBill wrote:Great job, Rick. Very clear and concise.

Before I knock myself out, let me ask this: You've demonstrated how really simple it is to use a mask with 3 layers. This may just be an academic question because I'm not sure of the practicality, but can we use multiple maske and multiple layers on 1 slide.

Thanx very much,

Bill


You certainly can put multiple masks on one slide. I call it the "sandwich" approach where you'll be able to put multiple pictures in different masks (no need to try and fit the pic in the transparent hole, just use the whole pic and you will see through). When I get home tonight, I'll post a sample and will take screensnaps of the layers on how it's done.

I used this in the instance of naming members of a baseball team and I wanted to put a few players on each slide but they all came from different pictures.


So much for reading the manual.

------------------------------------------
From the manual:
Masking enables and disables making the selected layer a mask. Only one layer can be a mask in each slide.
------------------------------------------

Because of that, I never tried adding a second Mask but sure enough, it let me have another Mask Layer. Arggh. So glad that not only is the manual terse, it's wrong.
Rick Insane Diego...

.
User avatar
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: San Diego

Postby rkligman » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:44 pm

BarbaraC wrote:Almost got it, but not quite. I was thinking the bottle was the masked image, but you're saying it was at the bottom of the stack. I was thinking the mask was black, translucent in areas, and shaped like the bottle so it was showing the M&M's beneath that were dropping down. Couldn't it be done like this? Also, couldn't the M&M's all be part of a single layer?

B.


The Mask Layer is in the shape of the bottle. The actual bottle though is on the 6th layer. You have it all exactly right.

Coule the mm's be on a single layer? Not with the movement I did. Each mm moves independently of the others, hence they can't be on the same layer.
Rick Insane Diego...

.
User avatar
Posts: 9321
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:37 pm
Location: E. Greenbush, NY

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:02 pm

Each mm moves independently of the others, hence they can't be on the same layer.


I should have known that. :(

Barbara

.
User avatar
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:19 am
Location: Long Island, New York

Postby GabBill » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:13 pm

I think I'm a little lost by the M&M effect. Can someone possibly lay it our for me? Was there more than one mask, Rick? Or just multiple layers being masked?


Bill
Canon 20D
PS CS3
PSP
http://www.myphotosinmotion.com

.
User avatar
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: San Diego

Postby rkligman » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:29 pm

GabBill wrote:I think I'm a little lost by the M&M effect. Can someone possibly lay it our for me? Was there more than one mask, Rick? Or just multiple layers being masked?


Bill


Or you could just wait for the tutorial... :D

I guess I felt challenged once I realized that there may be some more options I forgot about so created a quick teaser that I'll detail in Vol. 3.

6 Layers (in order):

Mask of bottle
4 mm layers under the Mask
Background which includes the actual bottle
Rick Insane Diego...

skiyak

Postby skiyak » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:07 pm

I've just uploaded a slideshow on Photodex that has examples of multiple masks and some of the layer settings:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=129475

It's 71MB so might take a bit of time. I used Camtasia to show the layers window so it might help a bit. I was hoping Rick would do another tutorial so there was no need for me to verbally explain.

Just after I loaded the slideshow, another lightbulb went off and I just did some testing. Some of those wonderful templates that we have, especially the ones from Danpop and all the keyframing where you can drop the images in, I always wondered how you could zoom in on your slides (while in between keyframing) or just having a larger pic without having to crop and nothing show outside the frame.
You can do this by taking the template, and for each layer, you create an identical layer, so layer 1 and 2 are exactly the same.
Layer 1, make it a mask and it stays empty.
Layer 2, drop in your pic.
You can then zoom in and out to your heart's content without it appearing outside the frame.

Rick, if you need any further explanation, let me know (I will be away the weekend though). And, Rick, I never read manuals so I wouldn't know any better. :lol:

And if you're trying to think of other tutorials, I'd really appreciate one on how to keep all the layers moving together (I kind of eyeballed it on my first example). I had tried something earlier about copying keyframes (can't remember where that is now, but it never seemed to pick up all the settings--some would stick and some wouldn't).

wendy

.
User avatar
Posts: 9321
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:37 pm
Location: E. Greenbush, NY

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:05 am

Wendy, I really like what you managed to do, but I had the worst time trying to follow how you did it. I realize you were pointing out the settings with the arrow cursor, but without further explanation, I ended up lost. Could you use a voice-over to explain things?

Barbara

skiyak

Postby skiyak » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:15 am

BarbaraC wrote:Wendy, I really like what you managed to do, but I had the worst time trying to follow how you did it. I realize you were pointing out the settings with the arrow cursor, but without further explanation, I ended up lost. Could you use a voice-over to explain things?

Barbara


I probably can. That was just a quick and dirty to get it out and didn't want to spend more time fiddling with the audio as I've only used Camtasia a few times and hadn't tried adding voice before. I was hoping Rick's next tutorial might cover it but if it doesn't, I'll put something together. I'm still pretty confused about all this stuff too and I only ended up making it look right after playing around and seeing what would happen, but Rick's tutorials are now making sense and there's actually some logic to my madness.

I guess I should wait until I install the latest release and play around with it a bit since it would make more sense to do a tutorial with the new interface.


wendy

.
User avatar
Posts: 9321
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:37 pm
Location: E. Greenbush, NY

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:22 am

Well, regardless of downplaying your current level of ability, you're way ahead of me.

Yes, voice-over can require time. We can't just ad-lib and babble our way through something. It needs planning and scripting.

Okay, Rick, it's time for that third tutorial. Wendy needs to know how she managed to do what she did so she can explain it. :D

Barbara

.
User avatar
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: San Diego

Postby rkligman » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:39 am

BarbaraC wrote:Well, regardless of downplaying your current level of ability, you're way ahead of me.

Yes, voice-over can require time. We can't just ad-lib and babble our way through something. It needs planning and scripting.

Okay, Rick, it's time for that third tutorial. Wendy needs to know how she managed to do what she did so she can explain it. :D

Barbara


Well Vol. 3 is going to cover multiple layers for a Mask so I'm at least one away from tackling multiple masks and probably even more. I think since I've already done the show for Vol 3 I'll stick to it and then I'd like to come back and address your previous issues with, what happens when you don't have just an Alpha Transparency with Black on it. I noticed Wendy's used White and I haven't gone there yet, let alone multiple masks (since the manual said they were not possible!).

Meanwhile, my wife wants to know what I'm doing with a Barbara in New York. :oops:
Rick Insane Diego...

.
User avatar
Posts: 9321
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:37 pm
Location: E. Greenbush, NY

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:56 am

rkligman wrote:Meanwhile, my wife wants to know what I'm doing with a Barbara in New York. :oops:


Tell her you don't know.

Previous

Return to PSP - Tutorials

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests