A New Tutorial from David Rowley

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

A New Tutorial from David Rowley

Postby Jean-Paul » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:22 am

Hi everyone,

''Check out this great video on how to best use square photos and slide backgrounds in ProShow Producer and ProShow Gold by David Rowley''
On PHOTODEX SLIDESHOW BLOG
here: http://www.slideshowblog.com/2013/04/using-square-photos-and-slide-backgrounds-in-proshow/

Have fun,
Amicalement, Jean-Pau
Last edited by Jean-Paul on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This forum is to ProShow enthusiasts, what hair is to the gorilla

PSP v5 (last releas) PC: Win. 7 x64, CPU Intel i7, Memory RAM 12 GB, Disk partition (C:) SSD, GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Monitor 23” HD, GPU Benchmark for PSP 372.

Re: Using Square Photos and Slide Backgrounds - Tutorial

Postby debngar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:05 am

The technique starting at 9:05 describing how to dupe the first slide to alleviate the blur in the transition from 1st image to the 2nd images is necessary for Gold users because Gold only has 2 KF per slide.

For Producer users, rather than duplicating the slide, it's simpler to drag KF2 to the left a bit and right click to the right of KF2 then choose "insert" (a KF 3) and drag that to the far right end of the slide time. KF3 will automatically match the settings of KF2 and accomplish the same results with less clicks and less slides.

FWIW :The tips in that tutorial are not restricted to working with square photos. They can apply to images having other aspect ratios as well. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Jean-Paul » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:15 pm

debngar wrote:The technique starting at 9:05 describing how to dupe the first slide to alleviate the blur in the transition from 1st image to the 2nd images is necessary for Gold users because Gold only has 2 KF per slide.

For Producer users, rather than duplicating the slide, it's simpler to drag KF2 to the left a bit and right click to the right of KF2 then choose "insert" (a KF 3) and drag that to the far right end of the slide time. KF3 will automatically match the settings of KF2 and accomplish the same results with less clicks and less slides.

FWIW :The tips in that tutorial are not restricted to working with square photos. They can apply to images having other aspect ratios as well. :D

Interesting input, the more info the better for everyone.
Evidently, this tutorial was designed to work with Gold and Producer.

Jean-Paul

This forum is to ProShow enthusiasts, what hair is to the gorilla

PSP v5 (last releas) PC: Win. 7 x64, CPU Intel i7, Memory RAM 12 GB, Disk partition (C:) SSD, GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Monitor 23” HD, GPU Benchmark for PSP 372.

Postby cherub » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:20 pm

I'm not sure if this tutorial addresses Gold users, or Producer users.

He talks quite a lot about blurring the background, but there is no Blurring Adjustment in Gold.
He then proceeds to copying keyframes, but Gold doesn't have keyframes. The terminology in Gold is: Starting Position and Ending Position, and the menu for copying that is shown in the tutorial is non existent.

So, if the tutorial is in fact for Producer, as shown by the interface that he's using throughout, then the duplicating of the slide is really redundant, as Debbie mentioned.

And, of course, also as Debbie mentioned, this technique can be used for any kind of picture, and not necessarily a square one.

Re: A New Tutorial from David Rowley

Postby trulytango » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm really surprised that Photodex have actually featured/endorsed this Proshow tutorial on their blog? It struck me as having been made in Producer by a seasoned Gold user? IMHO the tutorial lacks direction i.e.what exactly is Mr Rowley setting out to teach? Certainly not even the most basic or effective key framing in PSP. The title is also misleading, and maybe not such a good advert for his training products?
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:33 am

It makes me wonder if Amanda sat through the entire video. I think if she had, she would have replaced "ProShow" in the title with "Producer," and the comment about using the techniques in Gold would have been removed.

Like the rest of you, I wondered how square photos were related. Then again, it was a bit long-winded, and so I skipped through the sections to get just the gist of them. Thus, I might have missed what was pertinent to squareness. Was there any mention of it beyond his intro?

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby cherub » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 am

trulytango wrote:I'm really surprised that Photodex have actually featured/endorsed this Proshow tutorial on their blog? It struck me as having been made in Producer by a seasoned Gold user? ....

Ah, the British sense of humor :)
Sorry - I meant "humour" :D

Postby im42n8 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:44 am

Photodex is really looking for articles from the field vs having their people come up with something. I think this reflects that desire. However, this demo wasn't vetted very well. He spelled "borders" as "boarders."

David mentions that he was "... asked about using square images in Producer (or Gold for that matter) ...". The person wanted to take a series of images that were on an A4 sheet of paper and use that as her background and then crop out each image separately to use in the slideshow program. David thought there were more options in Producer to create backgrounds and use the images in ProShow Producer. That's where he starts. He rambles on from there. The fact that the images were square is just coincidental I think.

At the very beginning of the demo, the title says "ProShow Producer." The description text below the video, probably created by Amanda but David should have given the ok for it... states the demo is for Gold and Producer.
However, nothing in this tutorial is applicable to Gold except for the some of the changing of the background. As Iris said, the tutorial is kind of directionless. There's nothing special about square photos in ProShow. He doesn't really deal with keyframes at all. Debbie pointed out a quick fix to the problem with the blurry effect ... in a single slide. What David has done is create a Gold on steroids tutorial. . . that is, he was using Producer as if it was a super duper Gold.

If David was trying to create a tutorial that Gold users could use, he missed the mark (widely). It's apparent he doesn't know what Gold can't do. And much of what he did can't be done in Gold at all.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:57 am

I think the conclusion is that, as Producer users, we're looking at the tutorial and going, "Huh?" :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to PSP - Tutorials