Combining Two Styles

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Combining Two Styles

Postby VidQueen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:02 am

In this tutorial, you'll learn how to combine two Slide Styles in ProShow Producer. A super useful little tool :wink:

Re: Combining Two Styles

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:31 am

"Paste Into" has been sitting there all along, a lonely little chap, hardly ever noticed, and yet it has the power to cut out all kinds of complicated shenanigans. Glad you posted this tutorial because Mr. Paste-Into deserves friends.

Some time ago, I posted The ProShow Joys of Paste Into over on ProShowThink, which involves the simple repeating of a custom gradient in multiple slides. It's more basic than Jennifer's tutorial, but it never hurts to have two takes on the same subject.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:09 pm

I've been using this technique off and on for several years now. I find it very useful in combining effects. Since you can't apply two different styles to a slide directly, this is the only other way to do it. (well, maybe not the "only" way ... but, it's the quickest and easiest).

One thing I can't emphasize more is that both slides should have the same slide time. If not, you could find yourself with some "interesting" stuff (unintended). "Fixing" it can be easy ... but, not all effects are that simple (and neither is the fix AFTER the fact). If this happens, delete the stuff you just pasted into the destination slide, readjust the source's slide time and do another Paste Into the destination slide.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby VidQueen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:17 pm

im42n8 wrote:One thing I can't emphasize more is that both slides should have the same slide time.
Dale

Excellent point, Dale! Shifting keyframes can cause mucho headaches :shock:

Jen

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:19 pm

I've been caught by the slide-time issue any number of times. Involved in some sort of tomfoolery the other day, I lost a keyframe clear off the left side. Gone. Kaput. Weirdest thing I ever saw. :shock:

Barbara

Postby VidQueen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:49 pm

Have you seen your keyframes flip? As in, 1.....3......2? I have. Had to clean my glasses :shock:

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Yes, I've seen it. It leads to finding a closet to clean out so you can put everything into proper order somewhere.

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:18 pm

This happens too often! I had thought they fixed this long ago ... nope. I've had several far right keyframes flip positions on me, with the farthest right ending up at the farthest left position. The other "odd" part about it is that the program allows you to move these keyframes right ... over all of the other ones.

I had another one a couple of days ago where keyframes 4 and 5 were on top of each other at the far right firewall. But, I couldn't force a combination of 4 onto 5 or 5 onto 4 (now THAT's the really odd part) ... nor would the program allow me to remove one of the keyframes. I had to drag the whole keyframe set left and then a little right to separate them (it was the only thing left to me ... but it worked!).

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:42 pm

The poor folks trying to learn how to combine slide styles will read down through the posts and have their hair stand on end. Don't worry, folks! It's just fine to follow Jennifer's tutorial. Bad stuff happens only to us bad people trying to do bad things. :D

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:00 pm

Yeah! Second that! Folks like us who really push the envelope of what ProShow can do, find circumstances where really strange stuff happens. But, we're often doing things that most people don't do and probably never will do.

But if you DO run into keyframe "oddities," you know where you can ask about them! 8)

Ordinarily, you won't see this keyframe problem. Just follow Jennifer's tutorial (to use two or more slide styles in one slide) ... and just make sure the two slides have the same slide time and you won't bump into some of the more interesting problems we "power" users have had the opportunity to deal with (... we did so you don't! :D )

Dale

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Thank you Jennifer. Seems so simple when you have the proceedure explained as you do :D

Rosemary

Postby VidQueen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Lol!!

To sum up the last few posts: Having Gremlins in your ProShow doesn't mean you're crazy. Having an ongoing conversation with them does :wink:

Jen

Postby Oldguy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:57 am

Thanks Jennifer!!!

Forrest

Esteemed Member

Postby glyn53 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:53 am

So pleased you posted this tutorial. I've spent hours playing in Producer and some interesting slides when you combine two :D
Thank you.

Glyn

Return to PSP - Tutorials