Embed Video into full length slide show.

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Embed Video into full length slide show.

Postby Norm » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:29 pm

I have a slide show of about 80 slides and I want to embed a video file for the full length of the show.
I'd like to have the video start at slide 1 in a corner of the screen and continue to play as each slide, with it's individual style, changes.
I tried using the video as slide one and then add layers to it for each of the slides but I found that task too cumbersome and I was not able to change the individual slide styles easily. Is there a way to accomplish this or a tutorial that I can look at?

Re: Embed Video into full length slide show.

Postby im42n8 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:44 pm

Good luck ... !. At this point, ProShow does not have a good method to do this. Only stills are usable as the show "background." Videos aren't accepted tho it's been asked for (many years ago). So, that limits you to putting the video in each slide and then clipping the start and end of it (to make it appear to play seamlessly from slide to slide to slide) ... or cutting the video into a snippet for each slide where you would then fine tune the start and end (by clipping) on each slide.

Another method is the way you were trying to work with. You'll have to sit down and plan it out to do it right. It's possible ... but, as you found out, extremely cumbersome (and confusing). The simplest way is use simple cross-fades to transition between image layers. Special effects would have to be built for sets of images carefully (you can't apply slide styles directly ... you could do that if you appropriately build the dummy slide, complete with slide style and then paste that slide INTO the target slide. It's an art and this technique has its own unique challenges, especially if you're not careful enough in setting things up and matching slide times, positioning, display times of the layers on the "build" slide, etc.) ... such as carousels or side-by-side portrait images, fades etc. But, you're probably still looking at a minimum of 81 layers (80 for the images and 1 for the video), not counting any "intro" or "outro" stuff and assuming you're not using any masks (for things like controlling image size).

If I were you tho, I'd look into a more appropriate background for what you want to do. It's probably not worth the time, effort, and aggravation you're sure to experience. If nothing else, you could take frame shots from the video and use them as "representative" backgrounds vs the full video.

Good luck!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby psychogramma » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:57 pm

More of a "could you" than a "you can" but....

I have used the following method with about 15 slides, not sure it could be done large scale.

Would it be possible to create the video output of the 80 slide show and then add it and your video each as one layer on one slide in a one slide show?

Good luck,
Cathy

Postby im42n8 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 am

I think that's a valid idea! It would be cumbersome too (because of the tweaks you'd need to make to the slideshow to adjust timing in its various parts and to keep the same length as the video you want to use as a background) ... but a doable alternative . . . and probably less frustrating than all images in a single slide.

You just need to do some upfront planning (e.g., times to the various points in your video where you want certain images to appear.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Return to PSP - Tutorials