CRASH! Do I want to open the last auto-save?!

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

CRASH! Do I want to open the last auto-save?!

Postby VidQueen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:04 am

I'm sure you've had this happen to you...

You're working along, you've found your creative groove and the show you are working on is going to leave them crying in the aisles! You just have to put these last few......CRASH! ProShow shuts down without any warning.

"Please, please, please tell me its all there! Please tell me I didn't just loose the last hour of work!!"

You open ProShow. You open the show you were just working on. You say a little prayer.

Um....I don't know. Do I?

The answer is...probably, but you should double check something before you hit Yes or No. You want to look to see which file is more recent; your Show file or the last Auto Saved file.

First, you have to locate where you've saved the show file. I have created a ProShow Files>Shows folder on my hard drive where I save all of my Shows. Using my Windows Explorer, I find the Show file (.psh) and the AutoSave file (.pxc) that will be right there with it. I look at the Date Modified for each file. In this case, my Show file (Just Fishin) was last saved at 12:09pm. The auto save file (.pxc) was last saved at 1:09pm. So the auto save file will have everything that I've done in the last hour saved!!

Hallelujah!! Yes! I DO want to open the last auto-saved show!!

Re: CRASH! Do I want to open the last auto-save?!

Postby Oldguy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks for that info. I have wondered if I
really wanted the auto saved, didn't know
where/how to check it out.
Thanks Jennifer
Forrest

Postby AMD » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Yes, thanks, Jennifer! I almost got into a bit of trouble on a show a couple of years ago when using an older Proshow version which crashed left and right with no rhyme or reason. I had elected to open the AutoSave file after one of the crashes; it did not contain a couple of slides I had added with extremely necessary images for a client that could have been a major snafu. Thank goodness, I realized the oversight in time to correct the problem.

Ann

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:24 am

Because of that "little" time-stamp problem, I recommend learning to automatically hit Ctrl+S after every single change you make. It's become a kneejerk thing for me and has certainly saved my butt any number of times.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby HunnyB » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:06 am

Doesnt the program auto save automatically every couple of minutes? Can you change that time frame?
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:37 am

The default is to autosave every 300 seconds, which is 5 minutes. Imagine how many things you can do in the space of 5 minutes. You can find the setting in Preferences, I think in the area of miscellaneous or general or whatever they call it. If you wanted it to save every minute, for instance, you could change it to 60 seconds.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to PSP - Tutorials