Circle on photo?

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Circle on photo?

Postby gpvideodesigns » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi, does anyone know if there is a way to put a circle on a photo in producer? I am doing a video with old pictures in it. There are several people in some of the photos and I would like to put a circle around the family members in the photo. I've seen it somewhere but don't know where so I know it can be done. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks much guys.

Re: Circle on photo?

Postby im42n8 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:24 pm

If you mean some kind of way to outline a section of a photo, there are a number of ways. Here are a couple.

1) You can add an adjustment layer, give it a vignette (the layer is taller than it is wide, set it to shape=elliipse, size of 10 or more, type=transparent), resize it (change the zoom settings) to an appropriate size for your image layer, and then position it over the section you want to highlight. Next, play with settings on this layer (brightness, color, white/black point, etc) to do some highlighting.
2) You could add an all white layer (for an example), reduce its opacity, add a vignette to it as given above, and position it.
3) This one requires a mask and makes an actual outline (as opposed to a translucent layer highlight as given above) that you would then position over the section of the image where you want the outline. You would create a layer as given in #2 above (all white). Make your settings related to vignette (to make it an oval or circle...), size, and position now. Duplicate it. Reduce the duplicate's size slightly. The original should be in the next lower layer. Make the duplicate a grayscale mask. Invert it. Depth=1. You should now have an oval with no center (the mask cut out the area of the lower layer that was directly underneath of it). The mask and the masked layers must be moved together to keep the illusion of the thin line oval. You can apply a blur to the mask to soften the inner border of the oval. Apply a blur to the masked layer to soften the outside edge.

Experiment with these. There are a number of options derived from each of these that can be useful to you.

Enjoy!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby debngar » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:51 pm

Post by gpvideodesigns on Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:42 pm
Hi, does anyone know if there is a way to put a circle on a photo in producer? I am doing a video with old pictures in it. There are several people in some of the photos and I would like to put a circle around the family members in the photo. I've seen it somewhere but don't know where so I know it can be done. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks much guys.

The quickest solution - use a caption letter "O" around the person's head.

This old tutorial demonstrates the technique. Skip to 1:15 into the show to view the basics.

"Spotlighting A Subject"
http://www.photodex.com/share/debngar/bd9kamg4
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby dickmr » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi. There are probably a number of other ways, but I use a transparent image (.png) and position and size it over an image in producer. For example, here are three images with circles colored red, white, and black. If you would like to download and use them (or you can make your own, maybe thinner circles), you can click on the links below, or copy and paste into your browser. When you see the image right click inside the circle and choose to save the picture to your desktop.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69 ... black.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/circlered.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/70 ... white.png/

With producer open and your image on a slide, double click on the slide and open up 'slide options'.
Click on the 'Effects' tab. In an open area near your image in the layer list, Import one of the circle images from your desktop. Do this by right clicking in an open area and choose 'add layer' then 'add image or video' and browse to
the transparent image with the colored circle that you want. You can add as many as you need to use.
Place the transparent circles above your image and only the circles will show since the rest of the image is transparent. Now using your mouse, or the pan and 'zoom x' / 'zoom y' to place and size the overlay. After you
do this, on the left side of the start image, the third item down is 'copy motion effects'...click on that and then choose 'start to end'. This will place the overlay at the exact place at the end of the slide. This assumes you
don't have movement with your original image. Otherwise you can also place the overlay at the correct ending
position if you have the image moving. To change the look of the circle overlay, you can 'unlock' the zoom x and zoom y (to the right side) and make it more or less oblong. Also, for movement to make it more noticeable, you could use rotate (i.e. -360 start, +360 end)...since these circles are exactly proportionate to the 800x600 frame they would present an oblong rotating look. Hope this helps. Try it out before someone comes in with a much more easier method!! LOL
Last edited by dickmr on Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby dickmr » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:26 pm

LOL....others already posted! Now you have plenty of ideas! Good luck with your show.

Postby tdew » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:49 am

Great ideas all, Thank you. Deb, I never gave the cap O a thought. Love it.

Postby gpvideodesigns » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:44 am

You guys are great. Thank You all so much. I'm going to go play with all of these. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thank You all again for takin the time to help.

Postby gpvideodesigns » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:22 am

Yeah, thanks to all of you, I did it. I used the white png that dickmr gave me, and used the vinette and other adjustment effects that im42n8 gave me. Adjusted the timing in the keyframe so it would fade out where I wanted it to and. Taaa Daaa. I have just what I wanted. Thank You again,, soooo much everyone.
Love this forum.

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Just to add to the fun of having a bunch of ways to create a circle, it can be done super fast using a semi-transparent gradient set to "Radial." You'll need 4 markers, the ones on either end having their opacity set to 0%. The 2 markers between them are set to 100% opacity. Where you place the opaque markers determines how thick the circle is and how wide it is. Fast as the devil to do, and the color is just as fast to edit. You can make the circle hard or soft, too.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpvideodesigns » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:11 am

Thns Barb, that's just a little over my tiny little head. ;0) Thanks so much.

Postby gpvideodesigns » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:11 am

Thns Barb, that's just a little over my tiny little head. ;0) Thanks so much.

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:25 am

It's over your head only because you haven't played with gradients yet, that's all. Some time when life really sucks, see how many gradient patterns you can create. It'll un-suck life.

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:26 pm

See! I told you there were multiple ways to achieve the effect you're seeking! :D It's nice to have multiple options!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:55 pm

If I repeat the first suggestion, will it mean I've caused all of us to run around in circles?

Barbara

Postby dickmr » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Now THAT is funny. But because my radius is not always equidistant I'm rather obtuse when I spin. LOL

Return to PSP - Tutorials