Mosaic Zoom

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Mosaic Zoom

Postby Mr. Ken » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi:

I need some help with this.

I'd like to create a special effect for an upcoming slide show. Starting with a mosaic (a photo made up of tiny photos, like tiles), I'd like to zoom in on the mosaic until one of the tiny photos becomes visible and large -- then transition to that photo and carry on with the show.

I've seen it done, but I cannot find any hints or tutorials on how to do it.

I have created a suitable mosaic. It is over 200 MB, 16000 x 12000 pixels, and is made up of 2000 "tiles" (roughly 50 on a side). When I zoom in on it using a photo viewer, the tiny photos can be seen quite well once I zoom in far enough.

When I try to zoom in far enough in PSP, the small photos never remain clear enough for the effect to work.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Re: Mosaic Zoom

Postby im42n8 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:01 pm

The trick is to fade in an image that is matched to the same image that is in the mosaic during your zoom. As the mosaic based foto is zoomed upon, you fade in on a separate layer that contains the image. You'll have to find a way to match the speed of the mosaic's zoom and the zoom amount in the separate layer during the initial fade in. Done right, the viewer will never know the image is separate from the mosaic-based image.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby cherub » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi,

The default maximum for zooming in Producer is 500%. That is, if you move the scrolling bar of the zoom, you can only reach 500%. However, you can zoom much more if you write the value of the zoom manually. I don't know what is the actual limit, but you can try various options.

And, continuing Dale's thought:
Seems to me that your image is huge. I don't know how Producer would be able to cope with it. You don't have to do the zooming in one go (two keyframes). You can combine several stages of zooming, in multiple layers and keyframes. (different pictures - zooms) in each layer.
Last edited by cherub on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Mr. Ken » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi:

Thank you for the ideas. I think that one or two stages of intermediate zoom, followed by a fade into the chosen photo, is the way to go.

Postby heckydog » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:23 pm

For a mosaic that size, to get a smooth transition, you would probably need 14 or 15 layers assuming each succeeding layer is about 1/2 the size of the one before it.

This past summer I did something similar in After Effects and it required 21 layers.

Joe

Postby cec_mar2008 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi! I did something very similar. I used two layers: one with the mosaic image and the other with the individual photo. You can see it in: http://vimeo.com/16208368
Cecilia

Postby Mr. Ken » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi Cecilia:

Thank you for the idea. I think I can see a variation on it that will work very well for me.

Many thanks.

Return to PSP - Tutorials