"Crisscross Masking"

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

"Crisscross Masking"

Postby debngar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:17 am

This tutorial was a result of a question posted by Jim in his thread in the PSP General Discussion area.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15151

I realized after posting the tutorial in his thread that it would better serve the forum to move it to the "Tutorial" section.

Jim wanted to know how to create the effect at 1:10 in the Photodex demo seen here:
http://www.photodex.com/gallery/view&yt=2256

This is what I came up with as result .

A caveat...Depending on how you'd like to blend the two images will depend on what your mask looks like. Very often, you can't just insert a gradient and have it work perfectly the first time. This often takes some finessing of the gradient in the edit window to blend the images just right. Some pictures work well for this and others do not. It helps to have some "white space" around the images for the blended areas like in the Photodex samples.

The brief tutorial shows the layer setup. You'll have to figure out your own key framing and positioning.

This isn't for beginners. It's necessary to have some hands on knowledge of key framing and how to create and edit a gradient in Producer.

I didn't replicate the Photodex demo exactly but if you can follow what I displayed along with that Photodex demo, that should get you on the right track.

"Crisscross Masking" - 1:07 min
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=127032

YouTube Version:
[/quote]
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Re: "Crisscross Masking"

Postby Anna J » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Debbie,
I'm sorry. After I posted on Jim's thread, I scrolled down an saw you are the originator of these criss-cross masking tutorials. Thank you so much! I can't wait to try it. You definitely get a giant Lone Ranger Masking Award too!
Anna
Anna

Postby kendon11 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks for posting this. I am going to give it a go! I'll let you know the results!!
Kendon11
Trying hard to learn

Postby Oldguy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:52 am

Thank You! I always appreciate your tutorials!

Forrest

Esteemed Member

Postby rlsu » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:28 am

Hi Debbie,
I have been trying to achieve this effect, but I think my lack of masking skill is causing a problem. I set up the slides as you recommend but I am not sure what the linear mask should look like. I adjusted the black and white points closer to the center, but how much gray area should there be? I am somewhat able to duplicate when the pictures come in from the right and left, but when one comes from the top and the other from the bottom is when I have the problems. I think I am close, but I don't think that the gradient is set correctly.

Thanks so much for this tutorial and all the others! I am learning so much from this forum and truly appreciate everyone's willingness to share their knowledge!

Michelle
Michelle

Postby Oldguy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:47 am

Yeah, mine didn't look like the tutorial either.
I tried all sorts of things with the mask and
I never did get the blend like hers.
Key Framing is a piece of cake compared to
masking....... for me.

Forrest

Postby debngar » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:03 pm

rlsu wrote:Hi Debbie,
I have been trying to achieve this effect, but I think my lack of masking skill is causing a problem. I set up the slides as you recommend but I am not sure what the linear mask should look like. I adjusted the black and white points closer to the center, but how much gray area should there be? I am somewhat able to duplicate when the pictures come in from the right and left, but when one comes from the top and the other from the bottom is when I have the problems. I think I am close, but I don't think that the gradient is set correctly.

Thanks so much for this tutorial and all the others! I am learning so much from this forum and truly appreciate everyone's willingness to share their knowledge!

Michelle

I had to go back and pull up the show file to see what the settings were on that linear mask.

In the example:

If linear gradient at "0" angle defaults the white on the left, just hit the "reverse colors" button.

Black arrow is on left, White arrow is on right.

Pull black arrow from left to 44
Pull white arrow from right to 52

This produces a gray area of 8 % (between the 44 and 52 points).

The linear mask is straight up and down ("0"angle) with the black on the left and the white area on the right.

YMMV (your mileage may vary)! Any area covered by the gray part of the mask will show through. Make sure the left edge of the image on the right falls in the black, not positioned under a gray area else it will stick out like a sore thumb. It takes some work to finesse the mask and those adjustments are almost always needed because no pictures are the same.

Hope all that makes sense.
Debbie

Esteemed Member

Postby rlsu » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:17 pm

Debbie,
Thanks so much. That did the trick.
Michelle
Michelle

Postby Oldguy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:37 am

Mine still doesn't work like yours. It makes
the top image transparent, so I can see
both pics clearly. I don't get the effect
you do. I'm sorry, your tutorial is so
straightforward & clear, I should be able
to do this.

Forrest

Postby debngar » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:44 am

Oldguy wrote:Mine still doesn't work like yours. It makes
the top image transparent, so I can see
both pics clearly. I don't get the effect
you do. I'm sorry, your tutorial is so
straightforward & clear, I should be able
to do this.

Forrest

Hi Forrest,

I'm not sure what's going on in your case but maybe if you post the results online, we can pinpoint the problem. I suspect it must have something to do with your mask and which sides the black and white parts of the mask are on. Go back and review what I posted above, then check your mask to be sure they are on the proper sides and see if that helps at all.
Debbie

Postby Oldguy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:24 am

I got it!!!!!!!!! Thanks Debbie!!
You were right I did have the Black & White
reversed. But, I had tried reversing them
earlier without success. The problem was
the background was the same on both pics,
and as a result I could not see the masking
effect. Thanks for everything especiall
your kind patience!!!

Forrest

Postby debngar » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:46 am

by Oldguy on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:24 pm
I got it!!!!!!!!! Thanks Debbie!!

Congrats that you figured it out and you're welcome!
Debbie

Return to PSP - Tutorials