Sliding picture technique

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Sliding picture technique

Postby osharr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:13 am

I am looking for a technique that I have seen before but I'm not sure where .It involves a picture sliding out of a doorway into an opening to view , or maybe sliding out of a building into an opening to view . I would search for this but I'm not even sure what to call it . I would appreciate any help that you might be willing to pass along . Thanks so much . Ollie
If it ain't broke , don't fix it !

Re: Sliding picture technique

Postby im42n8 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:26 am

It's at technique called masking. For instance you have an image that you want something to appear to come out of. You can create a gradient layer that's half white and half black. Duplicate the image and put it under the gradient layer. Make the gradient layer a grayscale mask. The non-masked image is below the mask set.

Now. the image you want to come out of the other image is placed below the mask set too but above the other image.
Layer 1 gradient mask. layer 2 is image 1. Layer 3 is the image 2. Layer 4 is image 1.

Now, move image 2 around so that it appears to come out of image 1.

This is of course a very simple and basic example but should help you get where you need to go.

Have fun!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby anitaemile » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:28 am

Ollie

Not sure about what kind of opening you could be talking about. Maybe it's the open door template? ( doors open and picture comes into view?) If it is, it's available on my website www.outsidethebox.name for free.
Anita

Postby osharr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks Dale and Anita , 2 really good ideas . I'm gonna give Dales a try . It is so darn hard to explain ,I'm hoping that it works . Thanks again .

Postby SherryJB » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi Ollie - Pete over at Palwebs has some premade styles that may be what you are talking about. He has one that shows an image coming out of a shop in a bazaar. I think that is in his first style kit. As of today, he is style providing his styles free of charge. His website is here: http://www.palwebs.co.uk/pstemplates/

Hope that helps.

Sherry B.

Postby silverfox » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Great resource for some great slide styles and price is right ... free
http://www.palwebs.co.uk/pstemplates/

Thanks to Sherry B. for the headsup!

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:16 am

Another way to do it similar to what Dale was saying - you do it with layers. The bottom layer is the full image of the "background" including the door for example. The next layer would be the image you want to come into view and the layer above that would be a partial image of the background with the side of the doorway removed for example so the image can slide out from behind a "partial doorway" (the top and bottom layers need to be lined up correctly).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby im42n8 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Mikey's approach presumes you have access to an image editor. That's because the top (partial) image is the partial of the bottom image ... it's been edited for content.

Using layers and masks (in PSP), you can customize, non-destructively, the image on which you want the "cutout." Generally, the only time that you'd actually need an image editor is when the region being cutout is irregular in shape (hence, complex). With the simple shapes (diamonds, squares, circles, rectangles, ellipses, etc) the masked and non-masked images are going to be the same size and share the same alignments so it's a bit easier and faster to align them together.

With the image editing technique, you'll have to be careful that the original image dimensions are maintained (something that's possible to mess up if you're not careful, depending on the editing you do. Creating a "hole" in the image tho probably won't be a concern relative to size.).

Both the layer and image editing routes are the way to do what you need . . . and the one you chose will depend on how comfortable you are with each and what your requirements are of what you're trying to do.

Dale
Last edited by im42n8 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:07 pm

A couple of links you might also find interesting for moving things around from the past:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14231&p=113740
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 1928&alb=0
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7877

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby osharr » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:06 am

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my very general request . Sherry JB the link that you pointed out is exactally the place where I saw the technique used . Thank you for the reminder . Mikey , I think you have hit the nail on the head . I am going to use layers to do the effect . The way you explained it will make it so easy . Thank you much . The idea I had was to make reunion pictures "come out of " a school yearbook . It amazes me how you folks can listen to peoples ideas and come up with ways to make it happen in Producer . Thanks again .
Ollie

Return to PSP - Tutorials