Great Producer Tutorial DVD/Download

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Great Producer Tutorial DVD/Download

Postby johnmac2007uk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi Everyone:
As a newbie to PSProducer V4.1 I honestly find it one big learning curve, and a bit more difficult to understand, although I have been using PSGold V3 for a couple of years now, Producer V4.1 with key frames and other tools available are daunting.
Well I was browsing the web here in the UK, and found a fantastic DVD and or Download of a well put together PSP V4 Tutorial by David Rowley at Davro Digital, while checking it out last night I could not drag myself away from the PC, this Tutorial was excellent, you can find it here at:
http://davro-digital.com/wp/?page_id=1129

It is helping me alot, "Excellent Value"

John
John Robert McNally
Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
United Kingdom

Re: Great Producer Tutorial DVD/Download

Postby trulytango » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:41 am

Hello John

David Rowley has a lot of experience in creating video tutorials, so I do not doubt for one minute that the collection you purchased is well-presented and enjoyable. His roots (and particular strengths) lie in Photoshop, and I see he now has a growing Forum of his own, accessible via his site.

One thing that concerned me about his step into ProShow video tutorials, especially those in relation to Producer, was his own level of practical experience and knowledge of the software at the time... I sincerely hope these latest tutorials do not expose any further holes in his knowledge. Please understand, I am NOT trying to put people off buying his product - I am just saying that with any video tutorial, either bought or issued freely, you may well be watching techniques that can actually be achieved much faster via other methods and features - things that only come through diligent, practical use of the software. Here is a link to a discussion thread from a while back:

http://proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8402&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=david+rowley

Please note, I have nothing against people releasing Producer video tutorials, especially those that do them freely, but I have watched a few examples that have made me take a sharp intake of breath and shout "What the...?" at my computer monitor :shock: I know video tutorials are a brilliant way to learn new things - I subscribed to a digital photography magazine for several years and learned such a lot about Photoshop... some of which happened to be through tutorials made by David Rowley... and lately I am still learning the intricacies of that particular program via a subscription to a Digital Scrapbooking site.

Photodex have produced a pretty good manual for version 4.1, unlike the ones they issued with previous versions, so I would encourage anyone to download it and refer to it often. It was compiled (and proof-read) with the approval of many, experienced users:

http://www.photodex.com/support/resources

Regards
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby johnmac2007uk » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:28 am

Cheers Iris:
Thanks for your follow-up, I will also download the PSP V4.1 manual, and also use this, but as I am a newbie to PSP V4.1, this tutorial from David Rowley is an excellent kick-start for me, and will help me cement the foundations of my knowledge of PSP V4.1, I know that you cannot learn everything from manual's & DVD's, but at the moment "It Works For Me"
Of course I will build up my own knowledge via my own hard work trying my best to create shows, and also with a little picking of brains from many of the great helpful experienced users/members of this great forum.

John
John Robert McNally
Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
United Kingdom

Postby trulytango » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:55 am

Hi John :D

You'll find some pretty decent tutorials and 'how to' shows in this very Forum - many of them produced in PSP. I'd encourage you to sift through them, even if the topic/content is not something you want to include in your shows, because they may well include a few more 'lightbulb' moments for you :idea:

Debbie Green has a blog dedicated to doing things in Producer that you might also find very helpful. Here's the link:
http://doitallinproducer.com/

TTFN
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby johnmac2007uk » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:28 am

Cheers Iris:
Yes I am a very patient learner, so watching tutorials and asking questions within the forum is a must.

Also thanks for the link to Debbies website "Do It all In Producer"

John. :D
John Robert McNally
Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
United Kingdom

Postby debngar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:56 pm

:oops: Thanks for the plug Iris. I just wish I had more time to add to the website.

If anyone would like to view the few tutorials I've made over the years, you can see them in the "tutorial" section in my Photodex album. Just so you're aware, they were made a very LONG time ago and things have changed a bit. But much of the concepts are still the same. You'll find no voice overs, just some text, pictures and a bit of background music to accompany the instruction.

Most of these assume some hands on knowledge and familiarity of the program. I don't go into a ton of detail.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum?alb=127032

I also have a couple of tutorials on YouTube on this channel. But you'll have to sort through some other videos I've made also posted there to find them.
http://www.youtube.com/user/debngar#p/u
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby kayone » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:19 pm

Debbie,

I have followed your instructions on the Captions Folding Backwards and Forward. I have it almost working except I am not sure in your video it calls for KF1 and KF2 values? I am not sure what those are?
Do I also need transitions time on both slides or the between the first and second slide? I am not sure why I would need a transition time for the second slide.

Otherwise, I have it working.

Vic Ouellette :lol:

Postby debngar » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Vic,

I did this tutorial a couple of years ago so forgive me if I'm a little fuzzy about the details of how this works. I don't even have it on my computer any more to double check the details, so sorry about that.

KF settings are displayed at 57 seconds into the video. If you're new at this, it can take a while to get a handle on key framing They can be a bit frustrating at first. My tutorials don't go into a lot of detail and assume the user has a bit of hands-on knowledge of the features in Producer mentioned in the show.

If different words are used, the KF timing might need to be a tweaked. If the words used are shorter or longer in length, you may want to fiddle/experiment with the key frame settings. These settings are just an example to show what I used to get the effect you see in the tutorial with the word "Congratulations!".

Key frame timing is based on the total of transition in, transition out and the slide time. Whether you choose to follow the settings in the example is up to you.

Transition in and out times and the slide time is stated at 22 seconds into the show. Caption transition timing is also stated in the show. Tweaking your own caption transition timing is optional, depending on what kind of wording you're using in your own show.

Caption motion text effects instructions for fly in and fly out are stated at 36 seconds into the show.

If you set it up as I did mine I think it should work. If there is something wrong with the tutorial, feel free to let me know.

There are often different ways to do an effect in ProShow. This is the way I happened to choose to achieve this effect for myself.

Keep trying. You'll eventually get it figured out. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Return to PSP - Tutorials