Circle frame

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Circle frame

Postby ChrissyC » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:38 pm

I am so glad the forum is back up..I was have withdrawel pangs! In Iris's Hocus pocus show and also Barbara Merry Mix and Match show a circle frame was used in which several pictures were used and each faded out to show the picture underneath...they both have a really nice outline around them, How do I make a circle frame with that outline around it, In barbara's she had what (if memory serves me) a lovely green shiny edge....I know how to use a circle mask but it's just a big ugly circle, I'd like to add a lovely gold frame around it but don't know how..is there a tutorial in here for that? I can't seem to find one...
Thanks...Chrissy

Re: Circle frame

Postby im42n8 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:32 pm

Chrissy,

Although you have a circular mask to mask out things, it doesn't mean you can't have other images (with or without masks) on the same slide doing stuff for you!

You can have all kinds of graphics out there that are either masked with alpha or non-alpha masks, or graphics (such as tiff or png or psd) that have transparent regions in them. Using any of these can build your frame. It just takes multiple layers and some creative application of your masking / graphics.

You can make some really interesting results with some really simple application of these things. The creative part comes in when someone tries to figure out how you did it and gets stuck!

Probably a bit light on (objective) information for you ... but, once you figure out what I said it'll seem pretty simple (maybe :) ) If nothing else, I hope I pointed you in the right direction.

So, the circle mask is only a part of the answer... add PNG / TIFF to the mix and/or other masks and you have the rest of the story!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby ChrissyC » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:53 pm

Lovely to see you again...Ok Dale, I'm going to have to digest this post of yours...I'm not sure I understand what you said, but I'll play around with the circle mask...oh I just don't get this concept yet...thanks for this post Dale, I'll read it again and probably again and again :lol:
banging my head on my keyboard..
hugggs, Chrissy

Postby cherub » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:32 pm

Chrissy,
I'll try using different words, in order to say about the same thing that Dale said.
Maybe it will help.

ANY decorative frame that shows a picture underneath must be created in 3 layers:
layer 1 - decorative frame - it usually is a png or psd file with transparency - in your case the gold frame
layer2 - mask (usually alpha transparency)
layer3 - your picture

If you want to have multiple pictures under the mask, then you need to set them all UNDER the mask, and arrange their coming in and their going out in keyframes. When one picture leaves, the next comes in.

Here is what you need to pay attention to:
-Is your frame a png or psd file with transparency? Or, in simple words, does it have a hole through which you can see?
-The mask that you create in Producer must cover this "hole" completely" and at all times. It must be a perfect match to your frame.
If your frame has an irregular form, you can't create a perfect match for it in Producer. In this case you will need a graphic editor to create it. This is somewhat different than in Producer, and the subject of another tutorial :D

Hope this helps,
Last edited by cherub on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Anna J » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Chrissy,
Try this layer stack:
Layer 1 Black alpha mask vignetted to circle with solid black border
Layer 2 Under the mask - your photo
Layer 3 Gold colored solid layer vignetted to circle with solid gold border - Not under the mask
I emailed you a zip file of this in a Style so you can look at the layers, vignettes, zoom settings etc.
I think this is what you're trying to make?
I learned how to do this from Dale a long time ago. Thanks Dale! :lol:
Anna
Anna

Postby Anna J » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:35 pm

Chrissy,
I see Mona has posted instructions different and more involved than mine. She's probably right! :D Go with hers!
Anna
Anna

Postby ChrissyC » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:55 pm

Mona and Anna, first thank you so much for answering...Mona..I read your post and by golly a tiny tiny light is flickering in my brain....I feel like my brain is moving in slow motion and I'm just learning how to think :lol:
Your both saying the same thing in different ways to do it and I also found a tutorial On Jennifers site putting 3 pictures inside a frame, but her frame is landscape not round, but the general concept would be the same as what your both saying....so armed with all this info I think I can get a circle gold frame that has 3 or more photos .....thank you so much..
take care,
Chrissy

Postby cherub » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:01 pm

Chrissy,

Anna and I don't speak of the same thing.
In my example, I'm talking about a frame that you might have got from Barbara, or from a scrapbook site.
Anna, on the other hand, is describing the use of a frame created in Producer.

I realize now that Anna's answer is actually what you asked originally.

Postby ChrissyC » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi Mona, yes Anna is talking about a style and your talking about a frame like a scrapbook frame...your instructions are for using an outside frame and she is talking about a ready made style..I can make use of both of these instructions...thank you very much.... :D
Chrissy

Postby trulytango » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:59 pm

Good morning Chrissy... and everyone else too :D

It's great to be back online isn't it!

Chrissy I just sent you an e-mail... I see the other ladies, and Dale, have pointed you in the right direction 8)

You have a few examples of mine in your collection that use circular frames/outlines, and I know you do learn quickly if you can watch or hear what's going on? So, I'd be happy to talk you through my examples 'live' if you like - watch out for a meeting invitation headed your way shortly. I trialled the software to do it yesterday and you can be my lab rat if you like :lol:

Dust off that microphone and I'll talk to you later!
Iris :D
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby anitaemile » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:00 am

Hi Chrissy

Here are my 2 cents worth
If you already DO have a round mask, duplicate that mask and make it a tiny bit bigger than the original. Put an image in between en make that original (top)round mask into a alpha mask and just leave the bigger version as it is. This is the simplest solution I can think of.

ANita.

Postby anitaemile » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:02 am

Hi Chrissy

Here are my 2 cents worth
If you already DO have a round mask, duplicate that mask and make it a tiny bit bigger than the original. Put an image in between en make that original (top)round mask into a alpha mask and just leave the bigger version as it is. This is the simplest solution I can think of.
ANita.

Postby trulytango » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:28 am

Hi there

Here's a little tutorial that shows how to create circular masks/frames directly within PSP :D

http://proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13551

TTFN
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby im42n8 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:24 am

If you use a gradient layer instead of a solid, you can duplicate it later on for use as your actual frame.

The gradient for the mask will be set to a solid color (i.e. only one color is used vs more than one). The gradient used as the frame will use a different color scheme.

You'll just change the zoom amount to be slightly larger than the layer used as a mask. An added advantage to that is that if you've any movement for the mask, the duplicated layer (used for the frame) will have all the movement keyframes as well. Just set your beginning and ending zoom levels accordingly to keep the appropriate sizing during your zoom.

This approach will also open a few other avenues for you when it comes to small details (like your own shadow layer(s) vs the PSP shadow, outlines, frame movement (not location change! movement of the content of the frame ... as in rotations or whatever!).

Happy experimenting! :)

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Return to PSP - Tutorials