Some Modifier Examples

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Some Modifier Examples

Postby EricW » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:55 am

I'm experimenting with ways to use modifiers to create some advanced effects. I now have three brief tutorials that show three very different applications. Styles for the Reflections and Magnifying Glass can be found here: http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/files/PopUpMagnifying.zip.

Spin
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=3073248&alb=148338
This tutuorial shows how to spin an object using the Sawtooth function modifier.

Reflections
Tutorial: http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=3075015&alb=148338
Here two images appear to pop out of a lake. As they pop up, their reflections move slide down. Modifiers are used to synchronize the motion of the images and their reflections. There's quite a bit of masking in this one as well. The style is not quite the same as what is shown in the tutorial--it's sort of a generic version.

Magnifying Glass
Tutorial: http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=3076727&alb=148338
This is a magnifying glass moving over an image, magnifying whatever falls beneath it. This has been done before, quite brilliantly by Dave Fitzpatrick. But in PSP3 the magnified layer and the normal image had to be aligned manually for each keyframe. With PSP4, modifiers can sync everything together. This technique gets a bit complex, so I posted a slide style as well as the tutorial.

Enjoy!

Eric
Last edited by EricW on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Some Modifier Examples

Postby floridabob » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks for those three modifier examples and tutorials. I used 3.5 for quite some time and I'm still cowed by the modifier thing. Your work is admirable, creative and clearly presented. Now can you do anything about my feeling of total inadequacy? One of these days I'll begin to explore it but not before I see a lot more examples. Keep at it - you inspire all of us.
Floridabob

Postby texan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Great job Bob:

My favorite is the Pop Up Reflections.

You made one into a style!!

How about the other 2???

Thanks in advance

Texan
Texan

Postby yancanuk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi EricW

Thank you for those 3 examples of modifiers. Modifiers I feel I am going to be able to work with and your examples are excellent. Masks are still fuzzy to me.

The reflections one is my favourite because I haven't a clue how you did it, but the effect is marvelous.

The spin example I follow pretty well.

I understand the principle behind the magnifying glass, and I've used the magnifying style that comes with Producer 4, but you have done a great job of explaining how it works. I love the magifying glass image that you used. May I ask you where you got that?

Jim

Postby im42n8 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Utilizing a graphic that appears to be magnifying glass is unnecessary (but useful in some situations) to utilize the magnification concept. Actually, anything that you can imagine being lens-like can be utilized to create the magnification area. This can free you up to use just about anything!

This was an example I created last year that illustrates the concept:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=148411

Dale

Postby EricW » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:42 pm

Replies to a few of the comments...

I was thinking of making a style for the reflection one, but there was so much photoshop work involved it did not seem worthwhile. It's not one you can just pop a few images in and you're good. I may make a simplified one though with just producer effects and see if I can do a style with that. Maybe next weekend...

There are some really great magnifying glass shows and demos out there. What's different about this one is that it uses PSP4 modifiers to tie everything together. Now keyframing/moving just one layer--the magnifying glass--moves all the other layers appropriately. In the final demo in that tutorial, I pan the magnifying glass all over the place, and everything else takes care of itself. The style that comes with Producer doesn't align the magnified image with the background at all, so it doesn't allow you to really zoom in on specific parts of the image.

I found the magnifying glass in another forum post: http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8169. I modified the images a bit in Photoshop to center the glass in the image.

Eric

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi Eric,
Christmas is early this year. Not only do we three tutorials which simple yet effective tutorials but you threw in a style for all of us to play with. Many of us will be waiting in line for your next weekend. I am sure that several of us will try to emulate them in an attempt to get a grasp on modifiers.

Thank you and well done.
pd
regards.
pd

Postby im42n8 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:53 pm

Yep, the modifiers significantly reduce the amount of work required to give a quality magnifying lens effect. By tracking another layer as it moves all over the place, the number of keyframes required to coordinate all the layers is minimized considerably (as in zip!)! Prior to these modifiers, a whole bunch of trial and error and testing was required to align everything right and get the movements correct!

What you've done here is make it easy for people who've never done it before (or who'd tried and failed to get a good enough version of one) to somewhat easily create this effect. There has been lots of interest in this type of effect in the past! Good job!

Dale

Postby nannybear » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:28 am

Well done!! and thanks for the new style. Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby EricW » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:34 am

EricW wrote:I was thinking of making a style for the reflection one, but there was so much photoshop work involved it did not seem worthwhile. It's not one you can just pop a few images in and you're good. I may make a simplified one though with just producer effects and see if I can do a style with that. Maybe next weekend...

By popular demand, here is the pop-up reflection as a style:

http://sites.google.com/site/ericwolfgang/Home/Popup_with_Reflection.pxs

I woke up early this morning, so I figured I would try and knock this out. I simplified it a bit, getting rid of the Photoshop work, and doing it with strictly with Producer tools.

I'm still finding new things in this program every time I open it. I used the gradient editor to create one of the masks, and found it to be surprisingly powerful.

--Eric

Postby yancanuk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:33 am

Thank you, EricW, for the Pop-up Reflection style. I would never have been able to figure that out for myself. This forum is great. I hope to be able to contribute some items soon.

Thank you again.

Jim

Msilva

Postby Msilva » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:43 am

Thank you. :wink:

Postby sheldonk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:57 pm

Eric,

Thanks so much! This is very interesting stuff.

Sheldon

Postby Lawgirl11 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:27 am

Magnifying Effect.
I need to know how to get my png image of a magnifying glass to have the background as a transparency as it states in this tutorial. Right now my image in against a white background. Please help. Also can you tell me how the second slide of the mag1hole is created as well. I would appreciate it.

Postby Ron » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi Eric
That was quite nice of you to share your knowledge & hard work.
I thank you
Ron
PS: Great Job
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Next

Return to PSP - Tutorials