"Silent Movie" - a simple modifier setting

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

"Silent Movie" - a simple modifier setting

Postby debngar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:18 pm

Bring your popcorn and have a seat. Here is an old movie style that's really neat!

Simple instruction to achieve this effect using a modifier in Producer V4 is at the very end. Frankly, I'd almost rather see this in the low res pixelated version as it adds to the old time feeling! :shock: :D Only thing is the instruction at the end would be hard to read though.

Effect seems more pronounced when played back via preview mode in Producer or maybe uploaded and viewed via Presenter. The YouTube version seems to be less noticeable. So you'll have to adjust as needed for the effect you wish to achieve. It actually gets annoying after a while IMO. :|

I tried using other types of waves and settings but because Producer on my computer is acting up, I did not get the results I was expecting and so used the method described in this tutorial.

If you use the suggested settings, YMMV ("your mileage may vary"). Mine plays back really well in a one slide preview. But once the whole show is rendered for YouTube viewing or played back in Producer preview mode, it diminished the effect/settings and plays back very quirky. I haven't had time to fix my goofy problems I'm experiencing in V4.0.2462 on my computer that seems to be affecting the performance of a lot of features.

Have fun with this. It's very easy to do - not the only way of course but just how I chose to do it.

"Silent Movie Effect" - 1 min
http://deborahgreenphotography.wordpres ... tutorials/
Last edited by debngar on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Re: Silent Movie Effect - with simple modifier setting

Postby smitty1946 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the tut. I did this awhile back. But you sparked new interest for me. I've been thinking about how to add the lines that appeared in the old silent movies. Have any ideas about how to go about doing this?

Thanks,
Smitty
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Esteemed Member

Re: Silent Movie Effect - with simple modifier setting

Postby Cliff.Thomas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Very neat idea.

So if you set the frequency of the black point modifier to 15, this simulates the flicker of the old movies?

Amplitude determines how much the black point is modified in % ?

Anyway, very interesting. I love the interiors of old building.

Cliff
Canon 60D, Photoshop CS5, ProShow Producer 7

Re: "Silent Movie" - a simple modifier setting

Postby debngar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:44 pm

I've been thinking about how to add the lines that appeared in the old silent movies. Have any ideas about how to go about doing this?

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. You would likely use something like a transparent type image with those scratches on them - probably made in Photoshop or something like that. Insert as a layer on top of your images and use the modifier to jerk them around. It would take some experimenting to get it looking authentic.
Last edited by debngar on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie

Postby debngar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:52 pm

Cliff,

Just try and set it according to the instructions at the end of the show. I tried it on brightness and white point but was not happy with it compared to the black point.

Don't get hung up on the math. Just put the numbers in and change them if you want to see the difference in one setting to another.

The amplitude defaults to 50.00 and is what modifies the slider setting. If you want a more extreme contrast in the flicker, change it to 60 or 70 or 80 or whatever and see if you like that.

If you want it to flicker faster, increase the number in frequency and see how you like it. I personally didn't like it as much set any faster.
Debbie

Esteemed Member

Postby Cliff.Thomas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:56 pm

debngar wrote:Cliff,

Just try and set it according to the instructions at the end of the show. I tried it on brightness and white point but was not happy with it compared to the black point.

Don't get hung up on the math. Just put the numbers in and change them if you want to see the difference in one setting to another.

The amplitude defaults to 50.00 and is what modifies the slider setting. If you want a more extreme contrast in the flicker, change it to 60 or 70 or 80 or whatever and see if you like that.

If you want it to flicker faster, increase the number in frequency and see how you like it. I personally didn't like it as much set any faster.

OK, I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Cliff
Canon 60D, Photoshop CS5, ProShow Producer 7

Postby floridabob » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Deb:

That was a trip down memory lane. Seemed so evocative of an age of mystery and romance. One day i'll gather the courage to try. Your tuts are so refreshing. You don't try to drown me in info. Thanks for sharing.
Floridabob

Postby debngar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:50 pm

Your tuts are so refreshing. You don't try to drown me in info.

Hi FloridaBob,

I believe most people would rather see short and simple instruction when possible. Thanks for watching.
Last edited by debngar on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Pretty neat Debbie! it definitely reminded me of a silent movie! Nice effect!

Dale

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi Debbie,
What a great way optimizing modifiers. Very useful technique. Spent a few evenings experimenting with modifiers for animation use- some cool, some not, but nothing as universal as this. I can see alot of uses for this silent movie effect. Thank you for sharing and sparking new ideas.

Hugs,
Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Postby cherub » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:47 pm

This is great Debbie !
What a wonderful idea and what a great use of modifiers. I've done in the past some heritage shows where such an effect would have looked wonderful. I guess I'll have to remake those shows now.

I especially liked how this looked on a round gradient mask. It's a good effect for the start the silent movie.

I noticed that you upload mp4 to YouTube. I wonder how this effect translate to mpg for the DVD version. Have you tried?

Postby debngar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi Mona,

I can't take credit for the idea. Don shared his two, one-slide shows with this effect but since he didn't share how-to at the time, I decided to try my hand at it.

The YouTube upload is an avi file according to my YouTube account. I just picked the YouTube HD Best Quality in Producer and hit the button.

YouTube is not playing back the show in the same way I'm seeing it in a one slide preview though. Instead, it's stuttering a lot and the flicker effect is diminished. I don't think I have any control over that since a lot of other shows seem to be having trouble with play back as well, buffering, stalling etc. Maybe it will improve tomorrow.

This isn't something I'm going to be burning to DVD any time soon I think. I haven't even tried uploading to my Photodex album either. I kind of think I should wait until I can better troubleshoot this version. I haven't had time to try installing in safe mode which was suggested by Photodex. I don't really think that will help but I should try it anyways.
Debbie

Postby marmart » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:04 am

Debbie - wow! what a cool effect! I loved how you did this short show. The photos are amazing...did you take these?? I need to play with these modifier things as I love what is being done with them.

Thanks so much!

Mary

Postby debngar » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:52 am

Hello Mary,

Yes, I captured those shots myself. They were originally compiled with some others I took that day and put in a show called "Preston Castle". Here is that show thread link:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10065
Debbie

Postby trulytango » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:05 am

Hi Debbie

Thanks for another nice concise tutorial. The soundtrack added to it immensely... a neat choice. Did you use a circular vignette/mask too?

I'm stuck on PSP version 3 until my finances improve... but this effect is one I will definitely be bookmarking and coming back to :D

Best regards
Iris

Next

Return to PSP - Tutorials