PSP v4 Modifer Tutorial: Ping Ball!

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

PSP v4 Modifer Tutorial: Ping Ball!

Postby im42n8 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:13 pm

This tutorial shows how to create an effect given in the demo provided in the link given below (see the 6th slide).

It's a relatively simple demo in that you have one round object coming on-screen to apparently hit another round object before disappearing off screen again. The object that was apparently hit then bounces around the screen.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=148411
[go to the 6th slide]

Demonstrates: Use of Sine wave modifiers.

Create a blank slide. Transition times on either side: 1s. Slide time: 7s. Slide ratio: 16:9.
Add two layers: L1) gradient, L2) solid. Each layer is 960x960.
Layer 1 and 2 are sized to “Fit to Safe Zone.”
Layer 1 is zoomed to 40%. Layer 2 is zoomed to 20%

Make each layer a circle by vignette.
Layer 1. Ellipse, type: transparent. Vignette size: 19; border size: 0, Corner size: 100.
Layer 2. Ellipse, type: transparent. Vignette size: 10; border size: 0, Corner size: 0.

Position Layer 1 at 0,0. Position Layer 2 at -60,-60. Zoom is 20% throughout.

On Layer 2 add two kf’s: 1.97s (kf2) and about 3.7s or so (This is kf3 and is used to stop motion on this layer.) Leave kf4 firewalled at the far right (at 9s).

KF1. On pan-x, right click and select “Add modifier.” Hit the plus key once to add a modifier. In the Constant value, put a 1. Change the type of modifier to “multiply modifier.” Click on the top modifier (it reads “<New Action>”). Put a 1 after the last 0 ... it should have a value of 0.001 now. Uncheck the “Use for all keyframes.” Click done. Do exactly the same thing for the pan-y. This holds action of the modifier in keyframe 2 at bay for the start of this keyframe. Not including these actions for this demo will affect the location of the apex of this layer’s movement.

KF2.
• Right click on pan-x, add Modifier:
+sine wave(0.08, 40,025), +50. Then click ok.
• Right click on pan-y, add Modifier:
+sine wave(0.30,70,0.0),*sine wave(0.30,2.0,0.25), *-1,-13.50. Then click ok. These two create a curved motion in the layer. All we care about right now is what appears in the window. The corkscrew-like motion of the layer will create a motion that we can use on screen. It will come in and quickly curve around and go back on an elliptical path. Where it curves back is our apex. The multiply by -1 turns a cw motion into a ccw motion. The numbers at the end of the modifier are distance adjustments. In the case of the pan-x, the motion is moved to the right. In the case of the pan-y, the apex location is adjusted up the screen.

KF3. Create the modifiers: +0.001 and *1.00 for both pan-x and pan-y. These modifiers stop the sine wave action. For the pan-x, also include a -25 constant. For the pan-y, include a =65 constant. These two constants will insure the layer doesn’t come back into view.

For kf2 and kf3, leave “Use for all keyframes” checked. If you don’t, we’ll see the little solid ball show up again toward the end of the slide!

On Layer 1 You’ll create at least 1 keyframe. Move this keyframe to where layer 2 appears to brush against it (which should be at about 1.20s). Copy the settings from kf1 to kf2 (to keep the layer motionless until layer 2 “hits” it.). Now, you’ll enter keyframes to define where the layer will appear to “bounce” to. In my case I have keyframes at: 0, 1.2, 1.5, 1.83, 3.00, 4.1, 5.78, and 9s.

The timing of the apex of layer 2's motion is where kf3 is moved to. Kf2 has another use that I’ll describe in a bit. The locations of the bounces were: 7.24,34.2 (kf4); 26,-32.3 (kf5); 40.22, -6 (kf6); 7.4, 34.6 (kf7); and -50,-50 (kf8)

I added a border around layer 1. Then, I added a rotation modifier to kf’s 2 and 3. The first modifier was to keep the layer still until layer movement began. So, I added +0.001 and *1 constants to kf2 (for rotations, in this case, kf1 was too far away to have an effect. So, kf2 had to be added just so I could add a controller modifier to moderate the actions of the rotation that’ll begin at kf3).

On kf3, I added a modifier to the rotation: +sine wave(15.0,5.0,0), *sine wave(0.20,50,0).
This creates a spinning motion that’s not constant but varies. ... it should simulate sunrays to a certain extent.

I left “Use for all Keyframes” checked.
Now, as soon as the motion begins, (it will appear as if the little ball hit the big one) the spinning begins.

This may not be a directly practical exercise ... but it is practical from the sense that it teaches control of the modifiers and makes it seem as if one layer affects another. From that perspective, it could have usefulness in other areas.

Enjoy!

Dale

PS Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense ... after you've tried to enter the info! Thanx!
Last edited by im42n8 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: PSP v4 Modifer Tutorial: Ping Ball!

Postby rkligman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:26 am

48 people viewed this thread and not one them realized that this is the same show as your other tutorial. I'm assuming by the header that these were supposed to be two different shows?
Rick Insane Diego...

Postby nannybear » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:29 am

Great stuff! I don't have much time to play right now but this is awesome information for when I do.Cheers Jan

ps haven't seen the "other" show....
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:52 am

Well, there are two demos. However, the latest used the material from the first and extends them (it's over twice as long as the first). The tutorial contains info on how to accomplish the effect in the 6th slide ... where one ball sets the other spinning and careening about the screen upon hitting it.

The other tutorial, Picture Slide, contains information on how to create the effect in the 7th slide of the same demo!

I'm not sure that 48 people looking at this tutorial necessarily assumed anything other than that this was a tutorial with a reference to the demo containing the effect referenced. Perhaps a few thought otherwise. However, I put a little addition in that specifies specifically where to look in that demo. BTW, each effect was on a single slide.

Dale

Postby newtcruiser » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:10 am

Hi Dale

Thanks for those tutorials. I am some extra time now and am sure going to give them a try. Maybe I will actually get a handle on these "devil" things called Modifiers. I sort of get the concept, the one thing that I can't understand is how you figure out the constant value. I know it is a %, but there must be some way of logically figuring it out. If so, any chance you could explain it.

Linda :lol:

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:58 am

In a nutshell:

The screen is referenced from its center, 0,0. Go left -50 and you're at the left edge of the screen (that is, 50% of the screen). Go down 50 and you're at the bottom of the screen. So, 50,-50 is the the top right corner while 50,50 is the lower right corner. 50+50 is 100%. So when you reference a location on or off screen you're really referencing a percent value for your destination from your screen center.

The safe zone is a percentage that you specify of the full screen... the little greyish area on your slide options screen.

A full rotation is 360 degrees. For modifiers, rotations are in % of a rotation. So, 2.8 is 10deg (2.8/100)*360 = 10.008 (... close enough)! You don't specify a rotation in degrees or radians in a modifier ... it's all %'s!

Your layer coordinates are also referenced in %. A layer's default rotation center is 0,0. A layer's upper right,for instance, is referenced the same way as with the screen, 50,-50. So, changing the layers' rotation center is more or less changing the layer's default rotation center reference from 0,0 (actual layer center) to one of your choosing. This rotation center, referenced to the layer, moves with the layer. Note that it doesn't matter what your zoom level is of that layer. A corner reference of 50,50 (lower right) will always be lower right of the layer if the layer is zoomed to 50%, 200% or 5%. NOTE: as you unlock the x and y coordinates, the default layer center seems to move. This is particularly acute when the zoom-x or zoom-y has become quite small relative to the other axis. It's a bug in the way Photodex handles the unlocked x and y coordinates. As you keep one axis at 100 and the other approaches 0, the axis that is at 100% actually seems to grow larger than its given size. That throws off a number of things...

Modifiers such as the sine wave or triangle wave also have amplitudes. These are screen references. A sine wave of amplitude 30 will move 30% of the screen to the right and then 30% of the screen to the left (for instance) ... total distance is twice the chosen amplitude (or 60) actually. The oscillation is the amplitude on either side of the reference point. The same can be said, basically, of the triangle and sawtooth waves. The block wave is the same too. I would normally call this a square wave ... you control the percent of the screen the layer will jump to and for how long it'll stay there... then it'll fall back to a screen percent amount (you specify) for a duration you call out.

So, any rotation control is specified in % of a full circle (360 degrees) and location control is specified in percent of screen referenced from screen. Rotation Center control is referenced in a manner similar to how you would reference a screen location ... it's just referenced from layer center rather than the screen.

Hope that helps!

Dale
Last edited by im42n8 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby newtcruiser » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:10 am

Thanks Dale, that actually helps a lot. I can see that I just need some practice to have it make complete sense. This afternoon I am going to give the tuts a whirl.

We are leaving (driving) to San Felipe, Mexico next week so am busy with last minute stuff. We are renting a house for the month of February so can hardly wait to get away from the snow and see some sun.

Postby Funtolearn » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:24 am

What fun!!! Now if I only understood it. Will Print and try these out...But I am still fighting with keyframes.
Muriel

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:42 am

Linda,

Good luck on the trip to Mexico! That's one heck of a haul! I've driven the leg from L.A. to Portland often. There's a stretch just south of Seattle that's a haven for cops ... they line up 6 or 7 in a row looking for speeders ... but that's normally on the northbound side (near and above Chehalis) -- I used to live in a little town about 25 miles north of Vancouver/Portland. Then, watch out for cops in the Sacramento region (I'm assuming you're taking I-5 the whole way). After that, Orange County is a place to pay attention too... but then, the Greater L.A. area is a different kind of driving!

Have fun and take lotsa pics!

Muriel,
If you think that keyframes are hard ... wait until you tackle modifiers! It takes difficult to a whole new level ... and these babies are NOT documented! I'd recommend you get keyframes well in hand before tackling all but the simplest of modifiers! They can be a real BEAR! :D :D

Dale

Postby newtcruiser » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:08 am

Dale, thanks for the advice on areas to watch for the cops. I will be sure to tell my husband as he is the driver. I never drive on holidays as he makes me too nervous. We are taking I5 and plan to take 3 days as we have our dog and will have to stop and let her run once in awhile. I will take lots of pics and maybe post a show, although I am a "oint and shoot" photographer and don't have any skills, but I do have fun. This is our first trip in many years as raising 6 kids takes lots of bucks and not much time for travelling so this will be a long awaited holiday. I hope that I can find some wiifii connections along the way and maybe pop into the forum once in awhile.

Thanks again for your help.

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:54 am

If you can avoid the LA basin (about Santa Clarita down to Seal Beach...roughly) in the mornings from about 6ish to about 9ish or from 3ish to 6:30ish in the evenings (or 11ish to 2ish in the late late evening). . . DO IT!!! You won't like "rush hour" ... especially in the Orange County area (in the vicinity of Seal Beach). If you can time it right you'll be fine. Otherwise it's either a moving parking lot or it bumper to bumper at 60mph (which is early in the rush hour or near its end). :D

Cheers!

Dale

Return to PSP - Tutorials