Tutorial: Modifiers Vol. 3

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Tutorial: Modifiers Vol. 3

Postby rkligman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:38 pm

This tutorial probably should have been Volume 1 but due to all the excitement, I threw you into the fire in Vol. 1. I will go over what a Modifier is and some of the choices and options you have in using them. 17 glorious minutes long.

Click here to go to the tutorial: Modifiers Volume 3
Last edited by rkligman on Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Insane Diego...

Re: Tutorial: Modifiers Vol. 3

Postby floridabob » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:42 am

Rick:

You're right --- that would have been a great first tutorial. I could actually see some possible uses for the modifiers. In the other ones my head was in a whirl but this one made a lot of sense. I haven't a clue as to how I might use them at this point but at least I now have a glimmer of understanding. Thank you for your patience and your hard work.
Floridabob

Esteemed Member

Postby Cliff.Thomas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:46 am

Rick,

Nicely done.

Wasn't aware that you could essentually use other function's value as a modifer.

So far, does it appear that all modifiers are in % such as the rotation, or is that just one exception?

Clliff
Canon 60D, Photoshop CS5, ProShow Producer 7

Postby rkligman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:54 pm

Cliff.Thomas wrote:Rick,

Nicely done.

Wasn't aware that you could essentually use other function's value as a modifer.

So far, does it appear that all modifiers are in % such as the rotation, or is that just one exception?

Clliff

Yes, Vol. 4 will illustrate using other layers. I can see it in my head with some amusing stuff. I just need to get some time to do it now!

For the Constant Amount, they all seem to be percentages BUT the way it uses the Percentage seems to be a bit different on certain settings which is why I tried to leave it alone and say we'll deal with them on an individual basis. They key point though was not to get sucked into the notion that it was a raw value which is the immediate thought and the cause of much confusion initially.
Rick Insane Diego...

Postby bigsewed » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:21 pm

Thanks Rick...
Modifiers are coming into focus for me...
Thanks again for you patience and tutorial skill in explaining...
Don't think I am ready to apply a modifier to a show yet, but getting closer thanks to you...
Wes

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:10 am

Rick, thank you so much for going back to the beginning. Bigger thanks for sticking with it and for offering your help to the rest of us. Modifiers are likely to end up being the biggest area for questions and troubleshooting on the forum, and tutorials such as you're producing will allow all of us to go back to them when we get hopelessly confused and to also direct newcomers to those tutorials.

In this tutorial, it caught my attention completely that you can modify one effect according to the settings of another effect. Now that has enormous potential. It means we don't have to go through the keyframe matching that used to be required to have even a simple thing such as going from b&w to full color as a picture zooms in. Yes, it's going to require a certain amount of study to accomplish--for me, anyway--but knowing it's possible is the first and most important part.

Again, thank you for the work you're putting into this.

Barbara

Postby rkligman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:35 am

Vol. 4 will illustrate that layer relationship concept but as is usual, I'm having problems with it. I remembered it being really easy but it took an hour to get a single effect. That's the bad news. The good news is, once you see how it works, it really only takes a few minutes because you have a sample of how it's done. So knowing that it CAN be done and seeing HOW it's done is most of the battle. Kid's don't try this at home! Wait for the tutorial and you'll save some brain cells.
Rick Insane Diego...

Postby debngar » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:33 am

Rick,

That was a nice demo/explanation. Looks even more complex to me now unfortunately but only because there are so many options for what can modify something else that I wonder how a person can keep track of it all. :shock:

I got to the point in being so familiar with the program before this version, where I felt I could almost immediately recognize what was wrong with an animation and where I needed to fix it in most cases.

But this feature is a doozy and I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to get to that point again when we start throwing modifiers in the mix. Sigh.... :roll:

By the way, you stated in your tutorials that you can't use the undo function in modifiers. From what I can see, that's true but you can always use/click the minus key to get rid of any one modifier on the list at a time which is sort of an undo type of thing without losing it all by removing the whole modifier and forcing you to start all over. At least that's better than no undo at all.

Looking forward to your next dissection of modifiers.

Thanks for the time you're taking to share this with us - very much appreciated. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Return to PSP - Tutorials