Tutorial: Modifiers Vol. 1

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Tutorial: Modifiers Vol. 1

Postby rkligman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:12 pm

A brand new feature in version of Producer is Modifiers. This tutorial jumps in with both feet to show you a very isolated look at how to implement a Sine Wave Modifier for the Rotation setting. By looking at this tutorial you'll see some of the concepts behind how Modifiers work. It's not a short tutorial at 28 minutes but it's a complicated subject so it warrants some time to spend on it.

Click here to go to the tutorial: Modifiers Volume 1

PS. You might want to view the Volume 3 tutorial first as it gives a broad overview of Modifiers which should help when you see some of the stuff in this tutorial. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10198
Last edited by rkligman on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Insane Diego...

Re: Tutorial: Modifiers Vol. 1

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:38 pm

Rick, once again, you've done an excellent job. This doesn't mean, of course, that I can now go blasting in there with modifiers and come back out smelling like anything more than a rotten grapefruit, but you've made it possible for me and probably a whole lot of other people to not throw in random numbers, make a mess, and give up.

Question: When you used the 5% modifier (Slide 3?), I wondered if you could move the rotation point up to the head of the statue so you could end up with a pendulum effect. I've played a bit with moving the rotation point and haven't been overwhelmed by it because it seems stuck to a screen coordinate instead of a spot on the image, and this makes me wonder if a pendulum is even possible.

In any case, I now see the value of modifiers very clearly. To create complicated motions can require umpteen keyframes, but with a modifier, you can actually get away with just the basic two keyframes. However, the math side of it is going to take me a bit of time because, as you noted, Photodex could have done a better job of saying things in a simpler manner.

Thank you for putting in the time to create yet another great tutorial.

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby Cliff.Thomas » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:38 pm

Barbara,

It is in fact possible to move the rotation point to the top and generate a true pendulum effect. I've been experimenting with the same thing.

Moving the rotation point to a different location than the center, even outside the image creates some interesting effects, especially when you rotate them

Rick,

Thanks for clearing up the rotation parimeter thing. I initually thought that it was a function of a radian since most programers us them rather then degrees.

The only question I have is when you, in fact, add the results of one sine wave to another one, aren't you creating a very odd curve? I'm tempted to try plotting them out, but my brain is a little tired right now from trying to learn some of this stuff.

Cliff
Canon 60D, Photoshop CS5, ProShow Producer 7

Postby rkligman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:21 am

Exactly. Complex effects can be created much easier (if at all) by using Modifiers. The problem is that Modifiers are complex beasts themselves without any documentation to support it. I think that between a few group members though we're blasting through some of that complexity and bringing it into focus how to set them up. Then it's up to you as to how to use it creatively.

As for Rotation Center etc. I haven't had much time to look at much else other than this Modifier feature since it requires intense reverse engineering to figure out how it works.
Rick Insane Diego...

Return to PSP - Tutorials