PSP v4 Demo (Basic)

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Re: PSP v4 Demo (Basic)

Postby im42n8 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:11 pm

Debbie,

I don't see that bug. HOWEVER, if you use any kind of a transition on the last kf you WILL see something like this when you are changing the y zoom. That is a bug I reported (the rotation of center changes back to the default I think).

In my demo, it's all done in a single slide. As the zoom y of the 90 deg rotated image approaches 0, the whole image jumps about 22.5 (my pan-y was -22.5 and I had to adjust it to 0 when zoom-y became 0). As the zoom-y was increased I had to do it the other way with the new image. It was started out at a zoom-y of 0 and a pan-y of 0. Immediately tho I had to change the pay-y to -22.5 as the zoom-y started increasing. Definitely a bug as far as I'm concerned. It's almost like there's a skew that shows up on rotated images that have zoom x or y values that approach 0 (it's a skew I wish we all had control over!)

So, what you must be seeing is a new bug! I don't know why you would see a jump tho on a static image ... even if it is a cut from one slide to another!

Yeah ... I noticed too that the modifiers may create a change ... but the change is only reflected in a played rendition. The display is unfazed/unaffected. It can be a might disconcerting until you accept it ...

The manual sez there's a Modifiers List that shows what modifiers area on a layer or keyframe -- Doesn't Exist! I have no idea what is on a layer much less which keyframe may have a modifier. Not until I "edit" the modifer on that keyframe do I know if a modifier actually exists on that keyframe!

Wait until you try this on captions too. You can't remove a modifier there using the menu option! You have to edit the modifier and then delete it! The triangle will eventually disappear (a screen refresh will do it). AND, no modifier tag appears if you attach a modifier to the font size box. These are reported too. These things are a work in progress. BTW, a modifier will work on the current keyframe only if you uncheck the box to use all keyframes...at least for layers (I haven't played with the captions on that one yet ... they're setup a bit differently).

Dale

Postby Pauline Collins » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:48 pm

You are amazing Dale, I got side tracked and came across this page and then watched a lot of you demo's. Would LOVE to be able to do that but don't think I have enough life left to learn and understand it all.
This is probably a stupid question - but what is a Modifier - wave, sawtooth, sinewave.?
Cheers Pauline

Postby Pauline Collins » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:11 pm

Okey Pokey I know what Modifiers are now (well kind of) just looked at Ricks tutorial.Thanks

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:47 pm

Pauline,

The wikipedia contains some of the information that you might need concerning the functions (sawtooth, sine, and triangle). If you have excel or another program that you can program in the wave functions (such as quattro pro) ... and which you can graph, that might help understand some of the wave functions.

For instance, put a sine wave function on you pan-x (e.g., sinewave(0.50, 20,00, 00)) and another on your pan-y (e.g., sinewave(0.50, 20.00, 0.25), you can make your layer go in a circle. Now, multiply one of those values by a -1 and the rotation reverses. sinewave(x,y,z) is x=frequency, y=amplitude, and z=phase. So, if you offset your phase by 0.25 you'll get a circle, by 0.33 and you get an ellipse. (a 0.25 is equal to a 90 degree difference, 0.5 is 180 degrees, etc .... or %value times 360 ... so 0.25*360=90 deg).

Things get more interesting when you add, subtract, multiply, or divide these functions ... and then you throw in different frequencies and amplitudes and phases ... and you get a real bag of worms!

It'll be a bit of time I think before we will have some nice effects generated using these modifiers. The problem is that they are NOT documented and it'll be some time before the various users can ferret out the modifiers ins and out and find something really useful for them (besides visual WOW stuff).... and then pass on that knowledge to others. Then, there are a few bugs affecting what works and what doesn't (position-related modifiers don't work on adjustment layers, for instance ... and they're not too useful when used with captions right now either).

Thanx for watching! And good luck if you should start to play with these new things!

Dale
Last edited by im42n8 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pauline Collins » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Thanks so much Dale for taking the time to explain this to me.
Soooo much to learn.
Cheers Pauline

Previous

Return to PSP - Tutorials