Can Tutorials be Downloaded?

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Gold only. Provide a link if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Can Tutorials be Downloaded?

Postby JARHTMD » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:18 am

I have a Word document of PSG tutorial links, for future reference. Is there a way to download the actual tutorials?
Canon EOS 40D, 20D, 60D; Photoshop CS3; PSG 3.2(build 2047)

Re: Can Tutorials be Downloaded?

Postby cherub » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:24 am

In what format are these tutorials?
Proshow shows? or video on YouTube ?

Postby JARHTMD » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:28 am

Currently, I have Proshow shows & YouTube

Postby cherub » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:31 am

JARHTMD wrote:Currently, I have Proshow shows & YouTube

Here is an explanation of how to save any Proshow show to your computer:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8717

For YouTube, there are programs that download video from such sites.
I use a Firefox extension called DownloadHelper.

Postby ChrissyC » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:51 pm

Mikey's explanation that Mona gave you the link for is sooo easy to do! It's a snap to save any shows you'd like to save to your hard drive to watch as many times as you'd like. One tip is to keep your temp folder cleaned out, finding the show you want to save is a lot easier if that folder is cleaned out, if you let it build up with temp files it will take you a few long minutes hunting for the show because it's just a tmp file with a number after it. I try to clean out that folder at the end of each day. Just a tiny tip that may be of some help :D
Chrissy

Esteemed Member

Postby nwenban » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:21 pm

HI Chrissy,

Another tip is if you are viewing your temp folder in MS Explorer you can click on your "Date Modified" or "Date Created" column & the show file needed will be at the top of the list (or very near to it)

If the dates have sorted down instead of up just click on the column again & it wil reverse the sort.

Neville
Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly!!

Postby ChrissyC » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:38 pm

Neville! what a good tip, thank you for that little nugget, I shall remember it the next time I save a show :D
Chrissy

Esteemed Member

Postby mikemullett » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:54 am

Hi Show Savers

Another tip on saving shows.
I have created a Folder on my Desktop called “Saved Shows” containing sub folders of Form members.

In the temp directory, right click on the show’s Tmp file and select “Copy”; navigate to the Saved shows folder
and the members sub folder

Open the sub folder, right click and select “Paste”; rename the temp file with a .px extension.
This avoids any accidental deletions when I clear out my temp folder.

Mike
There's no such thing as problems, only challenges
Nikon D5300 DSLR, PSP, Photoshop CS6, Premiere Elements 8, Adobe After Effects. Have just built a Win 7 Core I5 machine, 8G ram, 1TB hard disk

Postby ChrissyC » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:28 am

Wow Mike you are really organized!!! I have a folder on your hard drive??? hahaha I am flattered! I like your idea very much....accidently deleting something gives me shudders, been there done that already! Your method is another safety measure. I'm putting this on my To Do list which is growing by leaps and bounds! :lol:
thanks Mike for this tip!
Chrissy

Postby JARHTMD » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:29 pm

I can’t seem to see the forest for the trees . . . or else I’m just incredibly stupid (& I don’t think that’s the case).

Downloading and viewing Mikey’s example PSG “Funny Squirrel Trailer2” was a piece of cake.

Then for YouTube downloads, I downloaded & installed the Firefox DownloadHelper. Following the instructions for one of the tutorial for using DownloadHelper, I also installed ConvertHelperSetup.exe which converts the videos to .avi files . . . maybe unnecessary (?), but that’s what the tutorial said to do. Anyway, I can now download to .avi files but when playing, Windows Media Player opens and I only hear the audio. The video is weird color patterns.

I viewed several other DownloadHelper tutorials. All are “amateurish” quality; nothing like the quality tutorials seen on this site.

Everything else I've ever done related to Firefox has been very straight forward. I don’t know why this is so confusing for me.

Esteemed Member

Postby nwenban » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi Jarhtmd,

I've just gone to this website http://www.youtubecatcher.com/ (YTC) which gives you the option on d/l'ing YouTube videos.

You need to go to the YouTube website & load the video you wish to save, copy the URL & paste it into the YTC website & click the d/l button, wait for the req to be processed, then click the "click here to d/l" link, a box will appear & you will need to change the filename from "get_video" to something meaningful to you & add a ".flv" extension & save the file to a handy folder.

You will also need to d/l a FLV player - this can aslo be d/l'd from links on the YTC website. When installing the FLV player, just keep an eye out for checkbox's as it wants to also install a lot of other trial apps.

I believe that there are also others apps that will allow you to convert "flv" files to other formats, but I haven't gone into these yet (1 step @ a time!)

Hope this solves your issue.

Neville
Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly!!

Postby cherub » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:36 pm

Jarhmd,
DownloadHelper is pretty straightforward.
Here is the help file, with all you need to know: http://www.downloadhelper.net/manual.php

I don't think that you should attempt to convert flash files to avi, since their resolution is much lower.
It is also more convenient to save smaller files (flash files - flv and swf) on your computer than the larger avi files.

You do need to have a flash player - in order to watch flv files and swf files.

Postby JARHTMD » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:31 pm

Thanks Nwenban & Cherub

Since I started with DownloadHelper, I decided to stick with that (for the time being anyway). I uninstalled the AVI converter, downloaded the FLV player from the YouTubeCatcher site & everything’s now working like a charm.

I guess the AVI converter was the problem. I don’t understand why I only got sound. I also didn’t know that I needed a FLV player . . . thanks for saving me that frustration.

It looks like I have a handle on it now. Thanks again.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:13 am

If all you are receiving is audio without video, it is most likely a CODEC problem. Search for Codec on the forum and there are a couple of good ones that come with AVI and others.

The main advantage of converting to AVI is that you can then edit the movie quite easily in virtually all of the movie editors on the market. If you are content to play the U-Tube items in their entirety then there is no need to edit. But if you are looking to extract a small snippet, then AVI is a way to go without compounding the image degradation beyond what it currently is.

Regards,
-Vernon

Return to PSG - Tutorials