Using Frames

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Gold only. Provide a link if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Using Frames

Postby Connie » Thu May 16, 2013 2:55 pm

There is a slideshow referred to in a post in 2009 under "Sample shows and feedback" created by chemisti

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12800&p=102463&hilit=LOCOMOTION#p102463

I have ProShow Gold 5 and was wondering if it was possible to make it in 5 and if so how? I have a graduation video I am doing for my daughter and she has 4 years of sports pictures with volleyball, basketball and softball and I thought that process would make the video move faster.

Any other suggestions if I can't use the technique show in that video?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Using Frames

Postby im42n8 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:27 pm

What is it specifically that you're wanting to do? There isn't anything in v3 or v4 that can't be done in v5. Gold is pretty simple. Everything is based on a slide that has a start setting and a stop setting. Every image has to do what it's going to do between the start and stop settings.

If any image is going to change direction in "mid-course," that mid-course correction occurs on the next slide. Effectively the image has to come to a stop and then, on the next slide (using the ending settings from the previous slide) the image moves in a different direction (or changes size or rotates or tilts ... etc). The captions that come in AFTER the images stop is done in a subsequent slide that has the images in the last position the image occupied in the last slide. There's a cut transition between the two slides. (gives seamless transitioning).

V5 has a massive change in the user interface. Plus it adds tilt (horizontal and vertical) and rotation center change. What these provide is a faux z-axis (into or out of the screen).

Other than that, the show is a very straightforward. Are you looking for something specific?

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby Connie » Thu May 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Thank you for your quick reply! I use the cut transition and understand about using separate slides to change the movement.

I can't get my head wrapped around how the white "frame" moves and there is black all around where the picture isn't inside the frame. Is the white border moving or just the picture or both? And the frame will move up and down over a picture.

Does that make sense?

Postby debngar » Thu May 16, 2013 4:14 pm

The outline and shadow features are turned on for those layers. Look for these features as tick boxes in V5 in the Slide Option> Adjustment Tab, lower right corner.
Last edited by debngar on Thu May 16, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Connie » Thu May 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Maybe I'm not asking the right questions. I think the shadow and outline in adjustments just goes around the outside of the picture. Right? The white frame I am talking about moves around on top of the picture.

Postby cherub » Thu May 16, 2013 5:47 pm

It's very hard to understand to what exactly you are referring, because you are not saying where exactly you are seeing this effect. Is it right at the beginning , in the intro, before the show starts?
And if it is in the show itself, at what point in time (you can see the actual seconds).

So, I'll be guessing a bit here.
In principle, if you want to have a frame move about, you must create that frame in a graphic editor, as a png file with transparency. This frame will be placed in your layers stack on top of the picture that needs to be framed. The frame can move either exactly in the same way as the picture, or independently.

If I remember correctly, there is a nice effect in the intro, where the picture itself is a png (the logo of the team is cut out, having a transparent area around it.
When you save this cutout in your graphic editor, this transparent area, forms in fact a square/rectangular.
In ProShow, if you use the Outline feature in Adjustments, then this rectangular will look like a frame.

Postby im42n8 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:30 pm

Like Mona, I'm pretty much at loss as to what you're looking at. If it's near the beginning, there's a photo with a frame that form a graphic. If this is what you are referring to, a photo editor was used to give it a milky white-like texture. You can't do that directly in Gold but it's something you can do in Producer using a variety of techniques. However, in this case a bitmap editor was used. Also, it is probably a 3:2 aspect image that has been set to fit to frame. So, the image filled the frame top to bottom and then stopped sizing. That left a small region on both sides of the image that revealed the background. The background for the show (or this slide) is black. Since it is used on multiple slides, the start of the next slide used settings from the ending setting of the previous slide.

Other than that, I couldn't find anything else in the show to match what you're describing.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby debngar » Thu May 16, 2013 6:45 pm

I think we all initially thought the show being referred to was the one that had the hot link to it in the first post of that thread. Now that I looked more carefully and reading further down in that other thread, if you're speaking of what is showing in the OTHER show briefly mentioned in the thread (not the one linked in the thread), then find and drag the Border_Widescreen.png file over your images and move it around on top of them. That file is found in the program's built-in content under the folder "borders".

You may need to expand the zoom size of the png file to about 148 get the size you want. That may be the way to do it with Gold.

Normally the image might have a layer mask over it to get that effect using Producer but it can't be done with a real mask without Producer.

I can only guess the effect being described is from this show:
http://www.photodex.com/share/chemisti/abw86mg4
Debbie

Postby Connie » Thu May 16, 2013 9:34 pm

I thought the link that I posted was for the thread that mentioned the "Locomotion" slideshow. I didn't know if I was allowed to actually post a link to the actual slideshow. Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the link that debngar posted was the show I was talking about.

It looks like ProShow 4 was used. I had found the png border that you were referring to but still need to figure out how to rotate the border and still cover up the picture that is outside the border. I will work on this. Thanks for your help and again sorry for the confusion.

Postby debngar » Fri May 17, 2013 5:23 am

Connie_Tabb wrote:I thought the link that I posted was for the thread that mentioned the "Locomotion" slideshow. I didn't know if I was allowed to actually post a link to the actual slideshow. Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the link that debngar posted was the show I was talking about.

It looks like ProShow 4 was used. I had found the png border that you were referring to but still need to figure out how to rotate the border and still cover up the picture that is outside the border. I will work on this. Thanks for your help and again sorry for the confusion.

No worries as this was just a mixup of sorts. The link is to a show thread topic that shared the normal hot link to a show different than the "Locomotion" show. Further down the thread is a tiny mention of the show Locomotion with no link. I had to go through the original link at the top of that thread to get to that members gallery and find the "Locomotion" show. Not hard to do but a round about way to figure out what was being referred to in your original post at the top of this thread.

That said, to answer the original question as to whether this technique makes the video "faster", no. Since the effect essentially displays only one image on a slide at a time, the complete motion takes longer to view than if multiple images are displayed at the same time. If the concern is to shorten the overall show viewing time, I would look for slidestyles that display multiple images at a time. Though multiple image slidestyle displays can require a longer slidetime, there are less slides and hence less transitions overall, which can shorten the show.
Last edited by debngar on Sat May 18, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie

Postby Connie » Fri May 17, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks for your help!

Return to PSG - Tutorials