Switch to full style
Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Gold only. Provide a link if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.
Post a reply

A New Tutorial from David Rowley

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:22 am

Hi everyone,

''Check out this great video on how to best use square photos and slide backgrounds in ProShow Producer and ProShow Gold by David Rowley''
On PHOTODEX SLIDESHOW BLOG
here: http://www.slideshowblog.com/2013/04/using-square-photos-and-slide-backgrounds-in-proshow/

Have fun,
Amicalement, Jean-Pau
Last edited by Jean-Paul on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Using Square Photos and Slide Backgrounds - Tutorial

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:05 am

The technique starting at 9:05 describing how to dupe the first slide to alleviate the blur in the transition from 1st image to the 2nd images is necessary for Gold users because Gold only has 2 KF per slide.

For Producer users, rather than duplicating the slide, it's simpler to drag KF2 to the left a bit and right click to the right of KF2 then choose "insert" (a KF 3) and drag that to the far right end of the slide time. KF3 will automatically match the settings of KF2 and accomplish the same results with less clicks and less slides.

FWIW :The tips in that tutorial are not restricted to working with square photos. They can apply to images having other aspect ratios as well. :D

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:15 pm

debngar wrote:The technique starting at 9:05 describing how to dupe the first slide to alleviate the blur in the transition from 1st image to the 2nd images is necessary for Gold users because Gold only has 2 KF per slide.

For Producer users, rather than duplicating the slide, it's simpler to drag KF2 to the left a bit and right click to the right of KF2 then choose "insert" (a KF 3) and drag that to the far right end of the slide time. KF3 will automatically match the settings of KF2 and accomplish the same results with less clicks and less slides.

FWIW :The tips in that tutorial are not restricted to working with square photos. They can apply to images having other aspect ratios as well. :D

Interesting input, the more info the better for everyone.
Evidently, this tutorial was designed to work with Gold and Producer.

Jean-Paul

Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Very interesting!! Thank you!!

Forrest

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:28 pm

I'm not sure if this tutorial addresses Gold users, or Producer users.

He talks quite a lot about blurring the background, but there is no Blurring Adjustment in Gold.
He then proceeds to copying keyframes, but Gold doesn't have keyframes. The terminology in Gold is: Starting Position and Ending Position, and the menu for copying that is shown in the tutorial is non existent.

So, if the tutorial is in fact for Producer, as shown by the interface that he's using throughout, then the duplicating of the slide is really redundant, as Debbie mentioned.

And, of course, also as Debbie mentioned, this technique can be used for any kind of picture, and not necessarily a square one.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:26 pm

At the very start, David Rowley (the demo's author) says it's for ProShow Producer. In fact, he's using ProShow Producer for the entire demo.

You can duplicate a layer using CTRL-D or a right click menu selection (duplicate layer) versus the copying a layer to the same slide used in this demo. Yes, it's possible, it's just an awful lot of work using the copy dialog method (for one layer on the same slide). But then too, this copy dialog only exists in Producer. For Gold, it's limited to the 2 methods I mentioned earlier.

As Mona stated, there's no such thing as blur in Gold (or opacity). Gold has no idea what keyframes are nor what a vignette is.

While the technique was described as being for Square Images ... this "technique" is applicable for pretty much any image aspect (as Mona mentioned). It's just that this guy had square photos, giving him lots of space on either side of the image. So, that's how he presented it.

• The demo's show background selection works in either Gold or Producer.
• The demo's approach for using an image as a background would have to be adapted for use in Gold (no blur or vignette from within the program ... that'd have to be done with 3rd party software and imported as another image).
• And finally, Debbie mentioned an improvement in the approach for Producer users.

Dale

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:11 pm

im42n8 wrote:At the very start, David Rowley (the demo's author) says it's for ProShow Producer. In fact, he's using ProShow Producer for the entire demo. Dale

Photodex wrote there that it's for "Producer and Gold :D
Some other members repeated this :D :D
As I said above, that's not quite true.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:53 am

Hello everyone,

These are all very interesting observations. Tomorrow I will be living for 6 days, when I return next Thursday I think I will invite David to join the discussion if he is a member of the forum of course. May be David sees a difference between copy or duplicate a layer,
it certainly seams bizarre.

When I originally submitted my post on this subject by error I had pasted the wrong text in the subject edit box. My original title was “A New Tutorial from David Rowley”. Instead I had pasted the word tutorial.
When I returned to the forum to make the correction, I saw that someone had edited the title of my post to what it is at the present time and by error (I suppose) he or she created a duplicate of my post. I don't think a regular member such as myself can make changes like that to someone else's post. I was not informed previously or after this change was made.

Jean-Paul
Post a reply