Paint Shop Pro X2 Selection

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

Paint Shop Pro X2 Selection

Postby kayeb » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:19 pm

I have a set of wine glasses in an image. I want to select each individual glass. How do I make more than one selection in Paint Shop Pro?

Thanks for your help.

Kaye
Paint Shop Pro X7, Canon 70D, Panasonic DMCTZ5

Re: Paint Shop Pro X2 Selection

Postby cherub » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:17 pm

press [Shift]

Corel PaintShop Pro has an extensive and extremely good help system, and you should be able to find answers to most of your questions there.
Faster too, than posting in the forum and waiting for someone who happens to use PSP to notice and answer your question.

Postby kayeb » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:11 pm

Thanks Mona for replying. That's the one bad thing about Corel Paint Shop Pro. I have had a hard time trying to find someone who uses it that could answer questions. Most people use Photoshop. Rosemary sent me a link but I never could get to the site. If you know of a good site, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kaye

Postby cherub » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:29 pm

I don't have any particular site.
I google things as I need them.
I can adapt almost any Photoshop tutorial to PaintShop Pro, more or less, and that is the reason why I am so slow in making the "jump" to Photoshop.
Also, since I've been using this program since it's Jasc version 4 (I think), which was when Windows was 3.1 :D ,
I think I know it quite well by now.
As I said, most things (like the one you asked) are in the help file of the program.
You don't need any site or people for that !

Esteemed Member

Postby nwenban » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:11 am

Hi Kaye,

If you are after a few PSP tut sites, I've put some bookmarks here http://www.justvend.net/psp.htm

Some of them are probably a bit old and may not still be active.

Here's a couple of good ones.
http://home.roadrunner.com/~suzshook/index.htm
http://www.dejudicibus.it/psl/
http://www.sheilsoft.com/psp.htm

Neville
Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly!!

Postby kayeb » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:46 am

Mona - thanks again. The reason I went with Paint Shop is because Photoshop is so expensive. I have Photoshop Elements but I like Paint Shop Pro better and use it the most. I was excited when I saw in this forum that there were people who used Paint Shop Pro too.

Neville - Thanks for those links. I bookmarked them all. I will check them out. I saw a couple on scripting but I'm not sure what that is or about.

Kaye

Postby cherub » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:10 am

Quoting from the Corel Help file:

Scripting basics
Scripts are a series of commands that you record and play back. This can be a great time-saver, because instead of having to make the changes to each image, you simply have to play back the script. The commands you recorded in the script are performed on the image.

Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo has a full-featured scripting engine based on the Python programming language. You can get more information on this language at http://www.python.org. Although you can write your own scripts using Python syntax, Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo has a built-in script recorder that can do this work for you, allowing you to script almost any action within the application.

In other words scripts are the "Actions" of Photoshop.

With the risk of sounding repetitious: Why don't you use the Help ?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:25 am

Hi Kaye,
You are not alone. I have Photoshop Elements and Jasc Paint Shop Pro (version 8). I am beginning to use Photoshop more but until I can upgrade I still turn to Paint Shop Pro for quick touch ups while working in Producer, vector art, and screen captures. It is a great editing app.
My version is quite old but under the View tab, scroll down to Palettes to dock your "Tool Options" or F4. While editing with the selection/freehand/magic wand tool, the palette reveals options for selection shape, mode, feathering degree, etc. In the Mode option, you can replace, add (shift), or delete (Ctrl). Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Postby kayeb » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:33 am

Mona - I did look in the Help before I posted my question here but it didn't tell me exactly what I wanted to know. If I have used Paint Shop more, I might could have figured it out. I'm just now trying new things other than just to crop, straighten or use the Smart Photo Fix tool. Since I lasted posted, I did find a couple of Paint Shop Pro forums that looked pretty good.

Kaye

Postby kayeb » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:37 am

Hi Stephanie - thanks for replying. I know how to make a selection, cut and paste. I just don't know how to make two different selections in the same image. In other words, I have an object on the right side of the image and on the left side of the image that I want to select and cut and paste as a new image. I've tried selecting one but I can't select the other one.

Kaye

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:10 am

Hi Kaye,
If I am understanding you correctly, the above should help in selecting multiple areas to copy/paste as a new layer, new selection, new image, etc. With the mode selected to "add" you can select multiple objects or areas to copy together.

Hugs,
Stephanie

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6

Postby kayeb » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:26 am

Stephanie - that worked. Thanks so much for that info. It was on replace. I changed it to add like you said and it worked.

Kaye

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:46 am

Hi Kaye,
Great! Holler if you come across anything else.

Hugs,
Stephanie

Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6

Jogi

Postby Jogi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:08 pm

On Paint Shop Pro, to make more than one selection: Choose selection tool Lasso, select the freehand style then go above that in the selection type and get point to point. This is what I use. Then make your first selection. After you doubleclick and that selection becomes active, just hold down the shift key and you can make another selection.
Then you have to doubleclick when that one is finished also. You can make as many selections as you want.
Jogi

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications