PC / Mac Question

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
usmcmarines

PC / Mac Question

Postby usmcmarines » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:56 am

Quick Question regarding Pc or Mac. I am a long time PC user. I am thinking of getting a new PC and was just wondering if anyone knew of a program that is capable of doing the things we can do in Proshow Producer (ie. masking, multiple layers, alpha channel etc) avaliable for a MAC computer.

I plan on keeping my PC but I really love the features Proshow offers and since it won't work on a MAC unless I install "Windows" I was just curious if anyone had any experience with it.
Regards,
MAtthew

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: PC / Mac Question

Postby Studio7Productions » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:38 am

The closest program for the Mac is 'Movie Magic', but nowhere near as sophisticated as Proshow.
A windows replicater would in my opinion be the way to go, if you wish to continue with Proshow.
PSP v 5: Adobe CS5 Extended:Sony Soundforge Pro 10: Canon 50D: Canon EOS 1000D: Nikon D40:

" Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. "
Sir Winston Churchill

usmcmarines

Postby usmcmarines » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:53 am

MEl,
Thanks for replying. That is what I was afraid of. I'm just so tired of the unstableness of windows and have heard such great things about MAC Computers. I'm either going to get a new PC or change to MAC and keep my existing PC for programs like this.

Regards,
Matthew

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:16 am

Though not a slide show program, Final Cut Pro is acknowledged as a top notch editor in which you could create slide shows. I would start looking there.

You could also run Parallels or Bootcamp on the Mac so that you could continue to have access to the Windows programs that you have grown to love.

-Vernon

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:12 am

While my response doesn't directly answer your question as you posed it, I want to mention an alternative to moving into a Mac. I faced the same choice several months ago.

I chose to build up a machine that, while based on a Windows platform, would run as strongly as a mac. I built a dual quad core (intel 2.33 Ghz processors) with 12 gigs of ram...upgradeable to 32 gigs if I ever need to. I have a Nividia 8800 video card and blue ray burning capabilities. The machine is accessing four HD with 1.5 TB of storage. The machine as built is a speed demon with incredible power. I have not had a crash or a freeze up since the machine was first booted. I am running 64 bit Vista Ultimate as the OS. The outcome was a savings of several thousand dollars over a similarly built mac.

I can run PSP with no problems...and don't have to wait for the day that PSP will run on a mac. Let me know if this would be something of interest to you. I can provide you with a list of the componants used in the build up.

usmcmarines

Postby usmcmarines » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:12 am

Thanks for all the replies. But I feel after all the years I have used a PC it's not a matter of not having a fast enough system with enough memory that causes my system to crash. It seems to be more of a software issue with Proshow having problems with conflicting software on my system. I have decided to go with an IMAC. I am going to keep my PC for certain programs that I like to use but after doing a lot of re-search over the weekend I think that a MAC will be a better fit for me in the long run.

I absolutley love Proshow Producer but I am so tired of having to do a show, burn the show only to find out that something didn't come out right when I burned the DVD. The last show I did I had to burn the show "SIX!" times to get it right. I had problems with the timing in the show itself as well as alignment on the menu screens. I wasted a lot of time fixing problems that should have never happened if the software would have done what it was designed to do.

I'm sure I will keep my Producer software current because it is capable of doing a lot of really cool and unique things when it works correctly.

Regards,

Matthew

Postby bob walden » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:35 pm

Is there a simple solution for the people that have Macs? Rarely do I get a person that has a Mac but it does come up. What is the recommended reply? I am not familiar with Macs so maybe something simple?

Thanks

Bob W.

usmcmarines

Postby usmcmarines » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:49 pm

Bob,
There actually is some software that makes it possible to run PC programs on a Mac. It's like running two different operating systems on one machine. I don't plan on doing that because I think it would keep everything running smoother if I keep them seperate.

Regards,

Matthew

Postby bob walden » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:29 pm

like running two different operating systems on one machine. I can understand not wanting to bloat a system any more then it already is!! Guess I'll stick with "take it to a library".

Thanks!! Bob W.

Postby Cyclops » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:21 pm

I purchased an iMac 3 months ago. Anyone I knew that had one said
that was the way to go if you are using graphics and music a lot. I
was very happy with my old PC but it was just overheating from the
rendering I was doing with Proshow. (I was rendering a half hour show
in different formats to see if I could tell the difference in the
quality of shows). I don’t have an alternate computer and had never
even used an Apple machine. Well, I bit the bullet and bought the new
one with an Intel processor. It has 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB
800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, Bus Speed 1.07GHz, L2 Cache 6MB, Graphics card
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256 MB. I installed Boot Camp and
divided the hard disk into 2 operating systems. I am happy with how
they both perform speed wise. I didn’t install another program to
bridge the two operating systems as I was told this would slow the
system down. To get into Windows I turn off the machine and restart
it holding down the option key. To go back into the Mac operating
system I do the same. Kind of a pain but I’m only using the Windows
side for Proshow and Photoshop and Vegas. I installed Audacity and
Imgburn on the Windows side. The Mac side has Microsoft for Office
and the preinstalled Mac programs.

My husband loves the Mac as he was never comfortable in Windows. I
had to get a book from the library to get my head around the
terminology and setup for the Mac. I used the right click on the mouse in Windows
a lot for menus and finally figured out that I could configure the
mouse in the Mac to do the same thing.

I would love to get a laptop PC for just Windows to handle the
graphics and Proshow and then do the rendering on the iMac.

I think the cost of the Mac’s are over the top and I can’t see the
justification for paying that much for a machine for a hobbyist.

There is a lot more choice for programs for Windows. Yes, you deal
with crashes, but in defence of Windows it is written to support
umpteen varieties of PC’s with different components. Apple limits the
programs and periphials and therefore suffers fewer problems. I
understand their Final Cut Pro is a great program, but I can’t afford
it. When the time comes that I can purchase graphic and video editing
programs for the Mac then I’ll remove the Windows side of my iMac and
use Proshow on a laptop.

With a Windows computer you can fix and or upgrade a lot of things
yourself and it isn’t that hard. With Apple upgrading the memory is
easy but I wouldn’t attempt to open it up to do any repairs.

Apple design is top notch and you have to admit their marketing has
been good but it’s really what’s inside and how it performs is why you
should be purchasing it.

Windows Vista is a memory hog and that was probably one of the main
reasons I didn’t purchase another PC. I installed Windows XP SP2 on
my iMac.

Servicing I thought might be a problem with the Apple. We live close
to an Apple Store so had to return our keypad because the space bar
wasn’t working properly. Should have made an appointment apparently
before we got there but got someone to order a new one after ½ hour.
The new one came by courier the next day and I was shocked! I just
have to put the old one back in the box and call the courier to pick
it up.

I don’t like to negotiate prices with salesmen. With a Windows
computer it’s a given that you need to do that to get the best
price. With an Apple the price is the same at their dealers and they
will not negotiate.

You cannot work on a file in the Mac side and copy it into the Windows
side as the Mac is FAT32 and Windows is NTFS. I suppose you could
format the Windows side to FAT32 but then it would be useless for
video editing large files as it couldn’t handle them.

You will also need to remap the Apple keyboard while in Windows mode as some of the keys work differently ie: question mark, apostrophe.

I hope that helps you make a decision. You need a fat wallet! I’m
retired and love learning new programs and have the time to do that -
just not the amount of cash coming in to satisfy my wants. I love Proshow and for the few times Ive had buggy problems its worth it.

Regards, Carolyn
Carolyn

usmcmarines

Postby usmcmarines » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:20 am

Carolyn,
Thanks for all the information. I have decided to go ahead and get an IMAC. I have been doing a lot of reading and I'm really excited about trying something new. I am keeping my existing PC for Proshow and a few other programs for the time being. I don't really want to load windows on my MAC. I am going to try to keep my MAC "Microsoft/Windows" free. lol

I'm guessing as I become more used to the way Apple programs work that I eventually will not need to keep my PC. I do wish they had an option for Proshow for the MAC. I truly love the program, I just don't love the stability issues I seem to experience everytime I get into working on a large project.

I get upset when I call Photodex about support on an issue I am having with the program. The last time I called I explained that the menu's were not lining up correctly and the "video" thumbnails were not working properly. Then they told me I was trying to use the program for something it was not designed for!

sorry, had to vent a little.

Anyway, I will make sure I post my experience on the MAC as I learn. I actually have purchased the Fincal Cut Studio program so we will see how it is.

Regards,
Matthew

Postby Cyclops » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:22 pm

Matthew, good timing. The prices on the MACs have gone down. I am interested in how you are getting along with Final Cut Studio. Will you still need to go into other programs for photoediting and designing menus.

I find Proshow so easy to use. I gave up on the menu option except for simple ones, and that is why I have DVD Architect. Have you tried making your show into smaller pieces and then compiling them into a video editing program. Ive done shows over one half hour long with no problems rendering in Proshow, but then again not a lot of video inserted into them either so that may make a difference.

Good luck, Carolyn
Carolyn

usmcmarines

Postby usmcmarines » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:20 am

Carolyn,
My new IMAC will be here on November 3rd. I have already received the Final Cut Studio software in the mail yesterday. I agree with you that proshow is very easy to use, I know before I even start using Final Cut Pro that it will be a large learning curve and it will probably take more steps to accomplish some of the same effects I use in Proshow but I am willing to learn. As far as doing the editing on the photos I have also ordered the adobe Web Premium package which will have all the programs I need to do the photos and build websites. I am really excited to get everything, it is going to be an awesome system.
Apple IMAC 24 with and additional 25.5 inch monitor
2.8 GHZ Processor
4G Ram
I also upgraded the video card to have 512MB

I don't know if you have ever played around with a MAC but I was hooked from the beginning with all the features it has right out of the box.
I will make sure to post on here once I have had time to play around with it and let you know.

Regards,
MAtthew

Postby Cyclops » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:29 am

Awesome! I am soooo jealous!!!
Carolyn

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:33 am

usmcmarines wrote:Carolyn,
My new IMAC will be here on November 3rd. I have already received the Final Cut Studio software in the mail yesterday. I agree with you that proshow is very easy to use, I know before I even start using Final Cut Pro that it will be a large learning curve and it will probably take more steps to accomplish some of the same effects I use in Proshow but I am willing to learn. As far as doing the editing on the photos I have also ordered the adobe Web Premium package which will have all the programs I need to do the photos and build websites. I am really excited to get everything, it is going to be an awesome system.
Apple IMAC 24 with and additional 25.5 inch monitor
2.8 GHZ Processor
4G Ram
I also upgraded the video card to have 512MB

I don't know if you have ever played around with a MAC but I was hooked from the beginning with all the features it has right out of the box.
I will make sure to post on here once I have had time to play around with it and let you know.

Regards,
MAtthew

I received CS 4 Production Premium a couple of days ago.(I work with video more than website construction) Very cool stuff and you are correct it is a huge learning curve. Have fun!!!

Next

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications