rendered video

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

rendered video

Postby dunnll » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:35 pm

I have 8 mm tapes that have been copied to DVD's using a DVD recorder, so the files I think are Mpeg files. I would like to pull some clips of the video off to use in a slideshow, but I can't figure out how to un-render it and use the clips. Secondly, I have about 50 more 8 mm tapes that I need to put on DVD, but my old 8 mm camcorder stopped working. I am trying to figure out if I should replace the camcorder or not. My fear is if I borrow a camcorder to copy the tapes to DVD, then I won't be able to pull parts of them off for future slideshows. Also, in the past, I have pulled audio only off the camcorder tapes through an analog convertor and if I render them to a DVD, I won't have that capabilty. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to change the mpeg to a format I can edit?
Thanks for your help.
Lori

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: rendered video

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:25 am

Lori,
Try MPegStreamClip. It will do what you are trying to do. http://www.squared5.com/ Export the Mpeg back out as AVI and edit away.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby dunnll » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:24 am

You are so smart Vernon - I knew somebody on this board would know how to do this. Guess there is no reason buy a camcorder now. Thank you for your help!

hobbyaddict

Postby hobbyaddict » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:18 am

New to the forum however, I see that I might be able to offer a valuable piece of advice ...

A comment on the 8mm tapes, for all that may have some priceless footage ;) I wanted to make a special gift for my daughter for her graduation. I created a presentation to play in loop at her party. When hunting all the old tapes of her childhood, I found that some of the video on the tape was starting to deteriorate. I am sure it is because they were just left in a box, but… I am glad I did this when I did. I was able to save some very precious memories.

I took this as an opportunity to copy all of the tapes we have of our family to DVD. I now can easily copy clips from the digital video I have, as well as create back ups.

Just something to think about…

-Ed

Postby dunnll » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:26 am

I have the mini dv tapes too - I guess I should copy them too. Did you use the squared5 software to pull off the clips? The biggest problem with all of it is more than 100 8 mm/mini DV tapes will take lots of time and I can't spend the money to have it done, so I'll do it a little at a time. I just wanted to make sure that I could use just bits and pieces in the future slideshows or to give to others who are in the video.
Lori

hobbyaddict

Postby hobbyaddict » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Lori,

I'll have to go back in and look in to what the hardware and software is that we installed on our desktop computer. However it was quite simple, my teenage daughter installed the hardware card. (I was out of town she actually pulled the cover from the computer installed the capture card into an available slot on the motherboard). Then loaded the software, without my assistance. I was very proud of her, she did it by herself-first time she did something like this. (incentive she was trying out for cheerleading team and needed to turn in a dvd with her performance)

Anyway... once installed simply attach the supplied cable to the digital output on the 8mm cam recorder and turn it on. The equipment is noticed, the software will rewind the recorder to the beginning and then will record it to the hard drive on your computer.
I am not sure if there was an option to go directly to the DVD drive? I'll have to check. You can leave it alone and come back when it is completed. (It will also rewind and stop the session once it comes to the end of the tape)

We just did it when we were not going to be using the computer, we only had around 15 tapes to copy. It was easy and all we had to do is make sure the setting we wanted were set (once) and then press record. When we came back hours later it was completed. Just toss in another tape and press record... do this 100 times and you are all set ;)

It may take a bit longer for you but your video will be on media that is very easy to edit. I pulled short clips from the recorded tapes for my presentation.

-Ed

Postby ChrissyC » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi Ed, welcome to the forum.....you sure had a good tip for this forum, your post is going to help a lot of people....another great mind joins our forum!! Hope you post more stuff :D
Chrissy

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications