How do you get a Screen Shot

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Esteemed Member

How do you get a Screen Shot

Postby rlsu » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:30 pm

Can someone tell me how I can get a screen shot? I would like to use one in a show, but I am not sure what software I need. Thanks so much for your help!
Michelle
Michelle

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: How do you get a Screen Shot

Postby Studio7Productions » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi
You dont need any special software to take a screenshot.

While the show is playing, hit the space bar to pause the show, then press the PrtSc buttom on your keyboard.

Open your image editor, and right click to paste the captured Image...

M
PSP v 5: Adobe CS5 Extended:Sony Soundforge Pro 10: Canon 50D: Canon EOS 1000D: Nikon D40:

" Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. "
Sir Winston Churchill

Postby im42n8 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:39 pm

You may find that Alt PrintScrn may work better (it grabs the active window, not the screen). Ctrl PrintScrn will also grab the screen, not the active window (which may be of a different size than full screen).

In your image editor, in an active document, hit CTRL V to copy the captured image from the clipboard into your image editors' active document (it'll become a new layer, typically).

Dale

Postby debngar » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:14 pm

If you are speaking of a screen shot of one of your slides in your show, there is an image capture feature in Producer:

Open Producer
Open your show file
Click once on the slide you want a picture of on the timeline to highlight it.
See the image in the preview window.
Move the blue scrubber bar to a position in that slide time frame where the slide is displaying your image the way you want.
Right-click over the preview of the image and follow/find the options to save to your computer as a jpg.

If you're speaking of getting a screen shot of something else, not an image in your slide show, then Dale's suggestions should do fine.
Last edited by debngar on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby im42n8 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:07 pm

BTW, that little "scrubber bar" that Debbie's talking about is that upside down blue triangle that is above the slide thumbnails in the timeline (aka, "slide show time bar").

Right clicking over the preview window brings up a dialog that includes the option "Capture Frame(s)." Selecting that option brings up another dialog. This allows you to capture the current frame, a frame ever "x" seconds (where "x" is a user selectable amount of time), or one frame per slide.

-- The output format is defined by the user ... but is defaulted to a resolution that's related to the ratio of the show (16:9 -- HD or 4:3 -- SD). Mine is at 1024x576.
-- You can save the capture as either a JPG or a PNG. You also specify where you want to save the file(s) and with whatever name you want.

-- It's pretty slick!

Now, like Debbie said, this is ONLY for "screen shots" within PSP. All other options require the Windows PrtScrn choice or a program like SnagIt (which is designed for screen captures ... ).

Dale

Esteemed Member

Postby mikemullett » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:14 am

Hi All

I use Techsmiths Snagit - but this company have a FREE screen still and Video grabber called Jing

Link: http://www.jingproject.com/

The still option allows annotations such as captions, arrows, highlights etc, whilst the video opion allows a commentary to be added whilst "filming". It also has many Save options.

Worth a look I think

Mike
There's no such thing as problems, only challenges
Nikon D5300 DSLR, PSP, Photoshop CS6, Premiere Elements 8, Adobe After Effects. Have just built a Win 7 Core I5 machine, 8G ram, 1TB hard disk

hootowls

Postby hootowls » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:09 am

Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) works well for screen shots. It has options for selecting the whole desktop to just the active window. Screen shot can be taken with a hot key (user defined) or a very cool function, automatic with a time setting. I like to have the program save the screen shot to a file, you can set the file name and location, and then edit as needed. Current version also has a simple editor for adding arrows, labels, etc.

Irfanview is free also.

Hootowls

Postby nannybear » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:58 am

You may find that Alt PrintScrn may work better (it grabs the active window, not the screen). Ctrl PrintScrn will also grab the screen, not the active window (which may be of a different size than full screen).

Dale, thank you for that!! At work we have a DOS based window that actually prints when hit print screen and I am always having to make sure I am not in that window when I hit it. Then there is the go to paint and cut the excess off. so thank you thank you thank you!!!! Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:27 am

hootowls wrote:Irfanview...current version also has a simple editor for adding arrows, labels, etc. Hootowls

I just looked all over for the arrows and labels, and though I can see how to add text and though there's a simple picture editor, I can't find the arrows you mentioned. I've got the latest plugins, so it must be that I'm just not looking in the right place. Where should I be looking?

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

hootowls

Postby hootowls » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:57 am

Barbara -

I am sorry it took me so long to reply.

Edit - Show Paint Dialog (or just hit F12) - will pop up the Paint menu.

Let your mouse hover over the arrow button for options. Right Click on Arrow Button for the Option Screen.

I think this was included with version 3.0 and up.

hootowls

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:17 am

I'm off this very minute to take a look at it. Thanks for explaining!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Fisker

Postby Fisker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:25 pm

A great program for capturing screen shots is Snag It. I find it indispensable.

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications