NAPP Membership

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
skiyak

NAPP Membership

Postby skiyak » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:29 pm

I just joined NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) two weeks ago and have learned so much, actually even after two days when going over their Killer Tips for Photoshop (I have Elements 5.0 but will be upgrading to CS3 but many of the tutorials still apply--it just may be in a little different place). The price of membership includes their magazines which alone would cost you the price of membership if you bought them at newstands (you also download the training files so you can practice). You get discounts (15% off Adobe products which I'll use to upgrade to CS3) and other products, books, training, etc. A lot of it will be relevant for those taking photographs and not just for professionals of which I'm not. Making masks, etc. are easy which will work nicely for slideshows. There were some things I tried to accomplish earlier which would take me over an hour to do and now can do in just a couple of clicks, so please have a look. The link is below:

http://www.photoshopuser.com/?aid=xnwatk

wendy

Re: NAPP Membership

Postby debngar » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:13 pm

That's seem to be a good deal as you say. I wouldn't normally consider paying $99 for a magazine subscription but if it includes all that other stuff, then maybe it's worth the money.

Any news in that private online Photoshop community whether one can get an additional upgrade discount on top of the one they give to upgrade to the next version?

I would very much like to upgrade to CS4 when the time comes but haven't seen any news of that yet. I also wouldn't mind pairing it with a purchase of Lightroom. Adobe will often give a combined discount and I have heard they sometimes might negotiate that too.

Debbie

skiyak

Postby skiyak » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:31 pm

For an upgrade, you'll get the 15% off. On the site, there's Lightroom 2 that's coming out. It's in Beta format that members can use. That's one of the reasons why I'm holding out on CS3 right now although might call them up to see if I'll get Lightroom 2 as a free upgrade as I think that's coming out soon. I haven't loaded Lightroom since I do have ACDSee and am not sure if it's really worth it although will check it out before I purchase. CS4, I don't believe there's a time frame yet but I'm not too concerned as they'll be so much I'll be able to do. I think that's a ways away. I also decided to purchase the Layers magazine as well but haven't received that edition yet although I did see it at a newstand which prompted me to go to NAPP's site.

I forgot to add this in. When I signed up, I didn't have the special code, so you would also get the following:

The Best of Photoshop User: The Tenth Year DVD – 3.5 hours of nonstop special effects, and cool tips and tricks from Scott Kelby, Dave Cross, Matt Kloskowski, and Corey Barker (a $69.99US value).

The Adobe Photoshop CS3 100 Hot Tips Booklet packed with the hottest of hot tips that will help your creativity soar (a $24.95US value).

Join now using this special code
NAPM-1UFI – when signing up to get your gifts.

starlight

Postby starlight » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Wendy, you may want to check this out. You can get to the same information from a link on the NAPP home page.

Refer a Friend Program

There's no higher compliment for NAPP than your personal recommendation of our association to fellow employees, friends or family members. And, since many new members join based on member recommendations, we're excited to kick off a new referral program that's designed to give back to you!*
Here's how it works:

You'll be assigned a unique link that you can share with others. Your unique link will look something like this: http://www.photoshopuser.com/?aid=xxxxxx

We'll use your unique link to help track how many of your referrals visited and how many of those visitors actually joined NAPP. As part of the program, you can go on to the NAPP members' site whenever you want to view your link results.
Your rewards:

Reward points accumulate based on the number of NEW members that join because of your recommendations. Once you reach a certain point level, we'll email you with instructions on how to redeem your gift.
1 New Members = Two extra months added to your NAPP memberhsip.
3 New Members = Two-year Layers magazine subscription.
5 New Members = $70 to spend on one order (books or DVD) at the Kelby Training online store.
7 New Members = One-year renewal of your NAPP membership.
9 New Members = $115 to spend on one order (books and DVDs) at the Kelby Training online store.
11 New Members = One Photoshop World Conference pass. You can attend either the east or west coast conference based on your preference.
12 New Members = Apple 16GB 3G iPhone.
Get started now:

Click here to get set up in the NAPP Refer a Friend Program.
And, thanks for recommending NAPP to the people you know who will benefit from being part of our association.

* Terms & Conditions: Rewards/gifts in the NAPP Referral Program may change without advance notification. NAPP also has the right to cancel the Referral Program without prior notice. Only active NAPP members may participate in this program. The Referral Program does not accept NAPP renewals as new memberships, this program only applies to new memberships (people who have never been a part of the association).

NAPP members also get a 15% discount on Adobe products.

Although my husband complains the society has gotten too commercial, he still learns a thing or two from time to time.

Star

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:01 pm

Being a NAPP member generally entitles you to free shipping from B&H. This could be useful as you expand your photo/video gear.

-Vernon

Postby PhotoMagicCreations » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:50 am

I received an email from Adobe saying you can buy CS3 for $299 (this offer was sent to those who own Photoshop Elements (I own versions 4 and 5). If I am a NAPP member, would I also get an additional 15% off the above price?

Kelly
Last edited by PhotoMagicCreations on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Lovebites » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:12 pm

I have been a member of NAPP for a couple of years now. It's a wonderful website and if you are looking towards becoming a better photographer, and/or photo editor, this is the perfect place. Tons of tutorials, tips and tricks, in addition to equipment, software, and hardware reviews. Great discounts (on hardware and software), and lots of perks (discounts) for NAPP members. Someone already mentioned the Photoshop Magazine, which is always packed with lots of useful information. The magazine alone is worth the price of membership.
Phone support is superb, and email response is quick. Their forum is just as creative, helpful, and generous with knowledge, as this one.
With regard to some of the outstanding photography that I've seen on PSG and PSP, I just assumed that most of you were NAPP members.
If you haven't checked it out, I would strongly recommend doing so - it will elevate your knowledge and skill, which will make a better photographer.
Carrie

Postby Lovebites » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Oops, forgot one more thing - NAPP even recognizes PHOTODEX (in their discount section) and gives a 20% discount on PSP to NAPP members!
Pretty cool, eh?
Carrie

muir

Postby muir » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:42 am

Another vote for NAPP membership.... well worth it in my view. If you buy software (incl plugins etc), camera gear from B&H or Apple stuff, or photo/photoshop books the discounts will likely offset the cost of your membership.

There are so many free resources to learn techniques on photoshop/lightroom and photography in general it almost hurts.

I have also found kelbytraining.com's on line training very good. It covers a lot of photoshop and other adobe products but there are some excellent photography training classes there. Try for a month at $20 and you can get a lot of good info. I think they let you watch the first 2 lessons of a topic for free to get an idea.

Muir

Postby gimme5 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:24 am

Kelly -

When did you receive an e-mail regarding upgrading to CS3 for $299? I have Elements version 5, but have not received an e-mail regarding upgrading! I went to the Adobe website and they state that the upgrade price from Elements (any version) is $549.

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide. I would definitely upgrade for $299 if I can figure out how to get that price!

~julie A.

skiyak

Postby skiyak » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:41 am

PhotoMagicCreations wrote:I received an email from Adobe saying you can buy CS3 for $299 (this offer was sent to those who own Photoshop Elements (I own versions 4 and 5). If I am a NAPP member, would I also get an additional 15% off the above price?

Kelly

Kelly,

I'd be interested to know when you've received that email as well since I own probably versions 2-5. I'm in Canada so that could be why. I remember awhile ago you could get CS3 for that price if you had a Wacom tablet and Elements but I believe that has now expired, and wondering maybe that has also as that was first offered when CS3 was coming out.

wendy

Postby PhotoMagicCreations » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:08 am

Julie and Wendy,

I received this offer on July 2nd. You may want to call this number to see if you can also get this offer 1-800-585-0774 .

Kelly

Postby gimme5 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:35 am

RE: ADOBE CS3 OFFER

Wendy (& Kelly and anyone else this might apply to!),

I just called the number that Kelly gave and amazingly, they gave me the offer too! Apparently, if is for users of Elements who are also registered to receive e-mails from Adobe. Although I qualify, for some reason, I have not been receiving any e-mails from Adobe in quite some time (I checked through my inbox as well as my Spam folder). Quite frankly, I'm shocked that they honored the price still (and also suprised that it was offered so low).

At any rate - Kelly - thanks so much for having mentioned that offer here! I've been drooling over CS3 for quite some time now and it always just seems so out of reach. This was the just the right price at just the right time!

Thanks again!
~julie a.

skiyak

Postby skiyak » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:20 am

Well, I just called Adobe and they didn't give it to me. They just said it was random who gets the emails and unless I had the offer code, they couldn't give it to me. Maybe I'll have to try again later and see if I get someone else.

They did say I could get the upgrade with the 15% from NAPP, which isn't quite as good as this offer. I also asked if you could combine the two codes (for those who have them) and they said, no. Only one valid code.

wendy

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:57 pm

Photoshop CS4 is on the horizon. I expect Adobe are trying to wring the last sales out of CS3 :D

However at a good discount it is always worth having, it is an excellent program.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Next

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications