digital juice - swipes

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
ProShow Hall of Fame

digital juice - swipes

Postby sierra whiskey » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:58 am

i've just been tempted to buy a package of digital juice swipes. 8)

i've looked at their training section about double alpha swipes,but haven't tried it yet as i thought it would be sensible to try a single swipe. however, i just can't work out what to do in proshow with the swipe i have rendered.

is there anyone out there who can point me towards a village idiots step by step guide about how to use them?

in addition i have a number of video backgrounds in the avi format. what is the best output option to render the swipe in?

hope someone can help this frustrated village idiot :( :oops:

Re: digital juice - swipes

Postby HunnyB » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:25 pm

HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby sierra whiskey » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:32 pm

by george i think i've got it. :shock:

i had read the link before but i had missed one vital bit out...doh! :oops:

thanks HunnyB

steve :D

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby sierra whiskey » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:36 pm

solved one problem thanks :D

can anyone answer the query about quick time v avi...which is best & why?

thanks

steve :?:

Postby HunnyB » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:55 pm

I always use AVI. Isn't quick time for MAC?
I may be wrong --- I get confused --- I just use AVI.
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby im42n8 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 am

AVI ... QT ... no big deal. Whatever gives you the file you want, go for it. I like AVI when I'm editing my video. I like the QT files when using DJ stuff because the file size is smaller. Whatever you want to deal with, go for it! To use the QT files tho, you'll need QT installed on your machine!

Dale

PS if you export to QT, the Mac users can read the file (and it's smaller than the AVI). You can't have a very long show in AVI (unless it's compressed ... but then the viewer needs an appropriate codec ... best just to use the QT option! ... or flash!).

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby sierra whiskey » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:51 am

thanks for the advice.

am i right in assuming that if avi is a larger file then it will be better quality?

i really do not have any knowledge of these options. in juicer if i opt for qt animation with alpha the default format setting is quicktime movie.

in the format option there are two choices...avi & avi (type 2). which should i choose? when i select avi the presets changes to custom with no mention of alpha. does just checking the render alpha separately work?

hope you can help with this.

many thanks

steve :?

Postby im42n8 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:33 pm

You'd probably be wrong. For the same reason that an uncompressed TIFF is better than a compressed TIFF file or a BMP is better than PNG. By and large, an AVI is uncompressed and you can work on the frames of the file easily with a video editor. Otherwise, high quality videos are obtainable in compressed format. It's the type of compression and how much of it that may impact the video (basically).

For the most part, you would have an extremely difficult time telling the difference in video formats at most video sizes you'd being playing them at (decent sized monitor/tv ... hd or standard), if the files were created for the video size you'd be watching them at.

Use what's most convenient for you!

Dale

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby sierra whiskey » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:43 am

thanks

unfortunately i've yet another question.

i like to make my shows in widescreen 16:9 format PAL. can someone please help me with the settings i need to load in juicer3. i've tried a number of different options & they all seem to produce the same result - a very disappointing out of focus(for want of a better description) smudge rather than the clear sharp swipe that show on the demos.

i've tried various different options in the canvas presets. in the layer section i leave the preset transformation..."auto scale to canvas" & in the output section "QT animation with alpha".

plse view this link which has one with the stars & stripes falling over no image & the second some blocks over an image. the flags one in particular seems very poor. i hope i'm just doing something simple wrong but it's driving me nuttier! please help

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=141780

steve :? :(

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:23 pm

In the Juicer 3, set the canvas setting to 1920x1080. There's your 16:9 setting if you're doing the HD version of the swipe. In the Output settings chose (in presets) QT animation with Alpha, Render the Alpha Channel separately. In Format, select Quicktime movie or AVI. In Audio, save the audio separately.

Chose the name you want for the swipe and the location to which you want it to save. Then, Render.

That's it!

Dale

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby sierra whiskey » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:21 am

thanks dale

i must be a bit dense. i've followed your instructions and i'm still getting what can only be described as a very blurred image showing what i would describe as ghosting. i'm only viewing most of my attempts on the proshow preview, although when i uploaded a sample to the proshow website it didn't look any better. i've tried single and double alpha wipes and they both appear the same.

in the canvas section i am using 1920x1080 pal,i've used a pixel aspect ratio of 1 & 1.42 (PAL widescreen) with little difference. in the layer section i am using the default...auto scale to canvas. in the ouput i am using QT animation with alpha and the format QuickTime Movie & rendering the alpha separately. all other variable i leave as the default settings.

i'm sorry if this is getting a bit boring for those of you out there who incorprate what look like great effects on the digital juice sample viewings in to your shows easily BUT i'm getting very frustrated! and to add insult to injury i recevied an extra surprise from FedEx & the Customs & Excise in a bill for the excise duties today!

i'm sure (as i've read on this site that many of you use these effects) there must be a simple thing i'm doing wrong...but i can't work out what it is.

please help if you can.

steve :x

muir

Postby muir » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:38 am

Steve,

I would suggest you ensure that you render our a progressive file (ie not interlaced)... this is in the render options change field order to none/progressive.

I find this is the only way to get decent quality in producer output .... seems re-rendering an already interlaced video file really looks poor.

I'm not sure if this is your problem but worth a try.

Muir

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby sierra whiskey » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:13 am

muir

thank you very much...this seems to have resolved the problem

you've made me very happy and more importantly my wife very happy. it was driving me nuts & i was driving her nuts. i won't now begrudge paying the tax, well i will but not so much.

hopefully now the only problem will be using the swipes in a suitably subtle way.

once again thanks...this forum really is a wonderful source of information.

steve :D

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications