Vegas Movie Studio

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

I never liked going to see the Easter bunny as a kid.

Postby bob walden » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:40 pm

Colleen, I am a friendly Easter Bunny!! Bought the suit at a sale years ago. Son took it to college for Easter and went through the dorms handing out candy eggs. Think he was in it just to grab some babes. Everyone loved it!! So I started doing the neighbors kids. Not grabbing!!! Some were fun but most it wasn't that big a deal. Then my elderly Mother in law asked me to visit one of her old friends in a nursing home. Well, the old folks (of which I kinda am now) really loved it!! So now all we do is small nursing homes. Much more satisfaction then those kids who have too much of everything!

Bob W

Postby bob walden » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:44 pm

Colleen. By the way I used to live in Gib Town. My Mother was friends with Al and Jean Tomani (sp) Are you familiar with them? Was way before your time but I think they still have the motel.
Bob W.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:45 pm

I figured you were "Harvey" (the old Jimmy Stewart movie) - the 6 foot tall
invisible white rabbit :lol:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby czali » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:09 am

Bob,

By Gib do you mean Gibson? I am not familiar with the name. I live in the north tampa area. Moved to Clearwater, FL with my family when I was 11. Before that Boston.

Mikey,

I have to agree about Harvey. My father was a big fan of the movie so I have watched it several times. That and Arsenic and Old Lace.

Colleen

I figured you were "Harvey"

Postby bob walden » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:09 am

Great movie!! All his movie are special. Just watched "Harvey" last weekend. Snowy and icy here so it a good time to sit back and watch oldies while on the computer.

Colleen, It was Gibsonton. Right next to Tampa. Al was a circus giant and Jean was born with half a body. They owned a motel-campgrounds, tv repair business and some tarpon fishing boats. Very nice people. I suppose they are long gone. Gibsonton was a winter circus home. Kinda of a unique experience living there as a kid!

Bob W.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:31 am

Colleen, an AVI is a naturally uncompressed file, but when the DVD is made, the software, as I understand it, turns the whole business into an MPEG, which is compressed. You most definitely have to have space on your hard drive to create the AVI. One small 3-1/2 minute show that I rendered as an AVI was something over 6 gig, though I can't remember at this point precisely how much over it was.

I'm going to be running a few more tests, this time bumping AVI's up against MPEG's rendered in Producer and then authoring them in the two programs I've been trying to decide between. My gut says that the only difference I'll see between the two formats is the need for less room on my hard drive for MPEG's.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:17 pm

Actually, "AVI" is a wrapper format for a video file. It can be un-compressed, compressed
with a DV codec for example or a number of other different formats. The most common
format you see for avi is from camcorders and is usually compressed with one of the
DV codecs, but not always.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:23 pm

Yes, Mikey, but when we're talking about ProShow, we haven't a choice. My waters are clearing, so don't you dare come in here and start muddying them up again. :evil:

Barbara

Postby czali » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:14 pm

Barb,

I do not want to confuse the issue but when you choose custom there is a option for compressed or uncompressed. That is why I had asked. Let me know how your test goes.

Colleen

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:57 pm

Darn it, Colleen!!! :D

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:49 pm

BarbaraC wrote:Yes, Mikey, but when we're talking about ProShow, we haven't
a choice. My waters are clearing, so don't you dare come in here and start muddying
them up again. :evil:

Barbara

Actually, Barbara, according to the subject title, we are talking about Vegas and other
third party applications, so the comment is valid (and causes many people problems
because they don't understand that all "avi" files are NOT created alike (which is
why some work in Proshow and others don't)).

mikey

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:06 pm

Since I'm testing both Roxio and Vegas to see which gives the higher quality, I'm trying to keep the quality as high as I can right out of the starting gate, so I'm going with uncompressed AVI. I'll be creating my test disks tonight if I don't fall out of my chair first. What I've built as a test are four videos: AVI in progressive and interlaced, and MPEG in progressive and interlaced. One thing threw me, and it was in the MPEG settings where you can choose the bit rate, which is something I've always associated with music files. Is it also something connected with the video side of things? I'll bring all four into Roxio and into Vegas, and I'll burn a third disk using that old standby, the ISO file, for comparison.

I'm so very tired of all this testing. I sure hope it all ends up being worth it. At the very least, I'm learning about things I never even knew existed. One thing I still have to look up is the difference between MPEG1 and MPEG2. I chose the latter because that seems to be Producer's default.

Colleen, I checked out "Custom" and discovered what I wouldn't have otherwise, which is that I can make both progressive and interlaced MPEG's, so I'm glad you threw in that little complication.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:15 pm

Yes, Barbara, the bit rate is similar to the bit rate in music - the higher the
bit rate, the better it can handle details and motion. You do have to be
careful on playing with that though because too high a bit rate exceeds the
DVD spec (and is also more likely to show "pixelation" like effects when
it can't keep up). Also, if I remember correctly, the "bitrate" is a
combination of the video bit rate and the audio bit rate. This is why some
people like to use MP2 for the audio instead of the LPCM - it is more
compressed so you can use a higher video rate. The down side of that
is, MP2 for the audio is not the required format for NTSC DVD -- the spec
says it is supposed to have at least 1 channel of LPCM or AC3 (Dolby).
*most* DVD players though will handle MP2 for the audio, but you will
find some that don't (I speak from experience !! ). One advantage of
the Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is it includes the Dolby AC3 audio
compressor - this makes for more "room" for the video bit rate as well
as the audio taking up less of the DVD space (allowing longer shows).
Confused ?? There are all sorts of options on Mpeg2 video compression
(and some very expensive compressors out there with "tweaks" the
pro's use to get the best possible picture for commercial DVD's)

mikey (who is going back to playing with his new puppy!!)

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:21 pm

PUPPY!!! Take lots of pictures and give us a show after Christmas!

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:13 pm

Whatcha think ?? :D :D
Is this the face of trouble or what ?

mikey

PreviousNext

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications