This is a PhotoShop question

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

This is a PhotoShop question

Postby dimi_arachi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:30 pm

Not sure is this the place for questions like this?? (I am new)

I was trying to make transparency slide for my slide show. Started ok with File, New, and Transparency. Then I wanted to add text as a layer and the moment I add the 2nd layer, all the transparency disappeared.

How you guys go about this !!!!

thanx
Hi I am New

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:10 pm

Are you using Photoshop CS or Photoshop Elements? I can answer for CS but not Elements.

Barbara

Postby debngar » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:24 pm

If it is white, this might be why it disappeared.

Tell us exactly what you are trying to do in your slide, maybe we can better help. Why do the words have to be transparent. There are some things you can do in Producer without bothering with Photoshop and so much easier, less steps, etc.

It may be that you don't have to go to that trouble to make the words a png file unless you want them to come out from underneath an image. Otherwise, all captions sit on top of the image files and layers.

Try making the words in a color other than white and see what that does for you.

Debbie

Postby dimi_arachi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:40 pm

I am using Photoshop CS

I want to make a transparent text file. This will be my front layer. My back layer is the photo layer.
So, I will have a photo with some text on it. I should be able to pan the second layer, which is the photo.

Now, I was trying to make this text transparent layer with PhotoShop.
1. File , New, transparent.
2. Text on second layer. As soon as I click the text tool and start typing (which will create the text layer automatically) the layer became white and lost the transparency.

** Is this some thing to do with the blend mode on test layer????
Hi I am New

Postby debngar » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:58 pm

I'm not totally sure of what you are trying to do but sounds like you can do what you want in Producer without bothering with Photoshop believe it or not.

See these threads and whether or not there is something that comes close.

I have a couple of tutorials (very short) that explains how to do some of this. You may have to take a few notes.

"See Thru Caption w/Transparent Foreground" 2 min
http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?t=4469
-----
Here is a link to the tutorial section of our forum here. Take a look at the thread titles and see if any of them appeal to you.

http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewforum.php?f=24
-----
If you want to put a caption underneath a layer, you can still do it all in Producer with this trick.
"Caption Underneath Workaround"
http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?t=5395
--------
Then there is "Texture On Caption With Fill Character"
http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?t=5294

That will keep you busy for a while! LOL

Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:07 pm

dimi_arachi wrote:I am using Photoshop CS

I want to make a transparent text file. This will be my front layer. My back layer is the photo layer.
So, I will have a photo with some text on it. I should be able to pan the second layer, which is the photo.

Now, I was trying to make this text transparent layer with PhotoShop.
1. File , New, transparent.
2. Text on second layer. As soon as I click the text tool and start typing (which will create the text layer automatically) the layer became white and lost the transparency.

** Is this some thing to do with the blend mode on test layer????

So, you want the background, not the text itself, to be transparent, right? Now that I know you're using exactly the same version of Photoshop that I am, here's the trick to it: You must have your background layer (not the one with text on it) to also be transparent. So, before you create the text, make a new layer, put the text on that second layer, click your check mark to accept what you've typed, then in the Layers menu, choose to "Merge Down." This should give you exactly what you're looking for. It's something I do a lot when using Layer Styles, but it works exactly the same way with text. That layer you think you've gotten when you start typing the text isn't quite the same kind of layer as the others. Think of it as more a temporary layer, a kind of ghost layer on top of the one you're actually working on.

This is tough to explain, but just remember that you'll need TWO transparent layers BEFORE you type in any text.

Barbara

Postby dimi_arachi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:26 pm

Thanks girls...... i 'll give a try
Hi I am New

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:27 pm

BarbaraC wrote: before you create the text, make a new layer, put the text on that second layer, click your check mark to accept what you've typed, then in the Layers menu, choose to "Merge Down." Barbara

Barbara - Are you saying in CS you need two layers to have text appear on a transparent background? I don't have CS but have Photoshop 7.0 and I don't have to do this. I can create a transparent layer and just type my text on it.

Kathy

XaiLo

Postby XaiLo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:32 am

Under "File>New" make sure "Background Contents" is set to Transparent and not to Background Color or White. And save as PNG 24 or a GIF file format.

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:22 am

stickgirl wrote:Are you saying in CS you need two layers to have text appear on a transparent background? I don't have CS but have Photoshop 7.0 and I don't have to do this. I can create a transparent layer and just type my text on it.

I left out a crucial little piece in those directions and thought of it only after I shut down last night: I use two transparent layers so that I can manipulate the text with layer effects after the text has been rasterized. Because I'm so likely to use Layer Styles on text to create bevels, drop shadows, etc., I do it this way to keep those effects without having to flatten the layers and thus lose transparency.

Barbara

Postby dimi_arachi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:41 pm

I gave the try and 50% I am ok. I manage to create the transparent slide with PhotoShop (Merge layer)
Save the file as .PSD and .PNG just to check out.

When I pulled the file to producer it wasn’t a transparent. Tried both PSD and PNG

Am I saving incorrectly in PhotoShop?
Have I got do some thing else in Producer to make it transparent?

When I re opened the file in PhotoShop it was transparent, I am sure some thing is not correct in Producer!!!! Any ideas please …
Hi I am New

Postby weldr » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:08 pm

Did you try playing your slide? Some 'masks' show with a white background in the preview screen but when you play the show, then they are transparent. Don
Canon EOS 50D,PSE7,Latest Producer, new computer...don't know specs off hand but runs Producer with no problems.

Postby debngar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:32 pm

To make a mask from anything in Producer, just click the mask check box and pick greyscale.

You can even do it with a color photograph.

Debbie

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications